Need help figuring out Denon/Panamax trigger outlet. HELP!

Dysmae

So I tried setting up a trigger today from my Denon AVR-3310 to my Panamax 5300 power conditioner, so that when the receiver turned on, it would turn on the switched outlets on the Panamax. The Denon manual said to run a mono 3.5mm cable from the trigger out to the trigger in on the power conditioner. The Panamax said the same thing, saying that once hooked up, the switched outlet button on the front would be over ridden by the on/off trigger on the receiver. Well, I picked up a mono cable from RadioShack today, hooked it up, and got no trigger activity at all. The settings in the receiver said that trigger was on. Got no activity. Then, I smelled electrical burn. The cable out of the trigger on the receiver was melting and when I pulled it out, the cable stripped from the head plug like I was pulling a loose tooth. I quickly pulled the power from the receiver, and let the end of the cable cool down before I pulled it out. What the hell? Anyone have any ideas?

I have a Panamax 5100, but I've never used the "Triggers". That does not sound right at all.

I would call panamax or denon and see what they say.

One thing I thought of was.... Was the panamax in the "On" postiion? The 5100 has a push button on and off. When pushed in, it is on. When out it is off. I would think it needs to be in the On postion for the trigger to take over. But that is just a guess and dosen't address the HEAT issue which is not right at all.

Keep us posted and good luck,

Dennie

Well, I haven't called Denon or Panamax yet, but I did pick up a AC adapter that plugs into the back outlet of the Denon and hooks up to the Panamax. This is working and switching without an issue at all. It works exackly as I wanted it to. Still, it really annoys me that the 3.5mm cable almost caught fire.

Yeah that is strange, I have the Panamax 5400ex and tried a trigger out from my UMC and it didnt seem to work. Instead I just held down the on/off button on the Panamax for 2-3 seconds and turned those outlets to always on. I'll experiment with it later.

• 10 years later...

I know I'm dragging an old thread up from the grave!!!

I've got an old Panamax M5300-EX that I've never tried to use the triggered bank of plugs but now it would work great for my current set up. 

I know you have to have the switched plugs powered off, then plug the trigger in. I am wondering if maybe the trigger in the Panamax just died. It was working a few weeks ago after figuring out the switches had to be off before you plugged in the cable. 
Now I can't get it to work at all. Any advice from others who have had issues with Panamax triggered outlets?

2 minutes ago, carbon summit said:

I know I'm dragging an old thread up from the grave!!!

I've got an old Panamax M5300-EX that I've never tried to use the triggered bank of plugs but now it would work great for my current set up. 

I know you have to have the switched plugs powered off, then plug the trigger in. I am wondering if maybe the trigger in the Panamax just died. It was working a few weeks ago after figuring out the switches had to be off before you plugged in the cable. 
Now I can't get it to work at all. Any advice from others who have had issues with Panamax triggered outlets?

Would look up the manual but, try unplugging Panama from wall for 5 minutes.

Thanks!