RF 83 actually 7" ???

DANGERDAN

Couldnt that mean they could increase the basket size to a much larger size and then promote fake information on the build material ??.

Yes, they can...But there comes other very important constraints! The designers has to weigh in the resonance of the speaker basket, weight increase, width of the speaker, etc. And thus, it wouldn't help them! The thing which certainly helps them is that instead of saying 7" speaker (the size of the woofer cone) they can say 8" speaker by adding the 1" worth of basket frame in the diameter!

Couldnt that mean they could increase the basket size to a much larger size and then promote fake information on the build material ??.

Yes, they can...But there comes other very important constraints! The designers has to weigh in the resonance of the speaker basket, weight increase, width of the speaker, etc. And thus, it wouldn't help them! The thing which certainly helps them is that instead of saying 7" speaker (the size of the woofer cone) they can say 8" speaker by adding the 1" worth of basket frame in the diameter!

On that note, I'm pretty sure that RF-7 II's woofer won't measure 10". The speaker including basket rim will certainly measure 10" - and hence the 10" driver! Oh well, IMO, RF-7 II sounds really nice with great authority in low frequency region!

Actually its 6" without the suspension 7" with and then 8" with the basket included, i dont mind that anyway as i like the thought of a the speaker being smaller as it physically can handling mid frequencys better then if it was a true 7 or 8".

If someone could meassure their rf7/II and see what it is that would be something interesting to find if it is or not because it looks significantly larger than the RF 83's woofer with only 2 inches on it.

I agree. Used to have a buddy in advertising. He freely admitted to taking psych classes to learn how to cause specific responses in consumers.

Here's the kicker... he said he often just resorted to lying. Often hard to check the facts and even harder to make people care he said.

EDIT: I don't know if you allow political comments here, but my buddy also frequently remarked on the excellent "fear" campaign that GWB used. Apparently, the fight or flight response is not something easily resisted but it is easily triggered and was used to great effect in the campaign.

EDIT02: apologize for hijacking thread. It's a habit and actually an art, tho under appreciated.

I agree. Used to have a buddy in advertising. He freely admitted to taking psych classes to learn how to cause specific responses in consumers.

Here's the kicker... he said he often just resorted to lying. Often hard to check the facts and even harder to make people care he said.

EDIT: I don't know if you allow political comments here, but my buddy also frequently remarked on the excellent "fear" campaign that GWB used. Apparently, the fight or flight response is not something easily resisted but it is easily triggered and was used to great effect in the campaign.

EDIT02: apologize for hijacking thread. It's a habit and actually an art, tho under appreciated.

CORRECT, THEY DON'T ALLOW POLITICAL COMMENT.I have many opinions on a whole host of political issues, I'm certain the forum as a whole really don't care to hear./read

Well, one thing is that they state 'Driver' size and not the size of the specific component of the driver, e.g. cone, toroidol, basket, etc...

I think, as a customer, most of us are informed or can research to a depth one wants and decide which speaker to buy...

Not trying to favor the manufacturer, but, at this time, it's almost a industry norm!

Actually its 6" without the suspension 7" with and then 8" with the basket included, i dont mind that anyway as i like the thought of a the speaker being smaller as it physically can handling mid frequencys better then if it was a true 7 or 8".

If someone could meassure their rf7/II and see what it is that would be something interesting to find if it is or not because it looks significantly larger than the RF 83's woofer with only 2 inches on it.

For RF-7 II the measurements are as follows,

Woofer Cone: 8" dia

With Suspension: 9" dia (With Suspension Frame: 9.5")

With Basket Frame: 10.5" dia

Oh well, I knew that the 'woofer cone' is not going to be true 10" in diameter when we bought it...