RF 83 actually 7" ???

DANGERDAN

For as long as I can remember, driver sizes have always been measured by the basket diameter.

For what it's worth, here are two things to consider when talking about the size of direct radiators:
1) Cone Breakup
2) Polar Response

If you're going to xover at 1kHz, then you actually need a 15" woofer for the polars to line up with a 90x60 tweeter horn. A dual 10" array (like the RF7) works pretty well in the vertical, but it's gonna be a bit wide in the horizontal.

Cone breakup is a function of cone stiffness and the size of the driver. Getting a 15" woofer to play up to 1kHz is actually pretty hard to do while maintaining low distortion and good efficiency. It's my understanding that the better drivers will have stiffer cones, which means extra weight, and so that is compensated with an even stronger motor (tigher gap, more windings, different magnets, etc...).

So even though there are a lot of 10" and 12" subwoofer on the market - I personally consider them way undersized for the application, and I would even suggest going as high as 1kHz with a 15"...

So even though there are a lot of 10" and 12" subwoofer on the market - I personally consider them way undersized for the application, and I would even suggest going as high as 1kHz with a 15"...

Errr what, i wouldnt say you would need to go bigger than a 12" unless you were wanting to go louder but other than that the 10-12" is probably the most natural way for a speaker and enclosure to reproduce sounds of 100hz and below. And how would you recommnd a 15" to go as high as 1khz, at least for a sub thats designed for sub frequencys ??. From what i know each driver size paired with component design has its own resonant frequency range and thats why floorstanders have mutliple sized drivers for each frequency spectrum it works for.

Edit. I think im thinking too narrow.

Errr what, i wouldnt say you would need to go bigger than a 12" unless you were wanting to go louder but other than that the 10-12" is probably the most natural way for a speaker and enclosure to reproduce sounds of 100hz and below. And how would you recommnd a 15" to go as high as 1khz, at least for a sub thats designed for sub frequencys ??. From what i know each driver size paired with component design has its own resonant frequency range and thats why floorstanders have mutliple sized drivers for each frequency spectrum it works for.

Edit. I think im thinking too narrow.

For a given price range, RF-7 II with their two 10" Cerametallic drivers and 1.75" Titanium Horn driver, I'm one very happy soul with their peformance and sweet sound. [Y]

For RF-7 II the measurements are as follows,

Woofer Cone: 8" dia

With Suspension: 9" dia (With Suspension Frame: 9.5")

With Basket Frame: 10.5" dia

Oh well, I knew that the 'woofer cone' is not going to be true 10" in diameter when we bought it...

Sounds like 10" speakers to me. These are speakers, not car tires. Speakers are measured across the largest diameter of the frame.