New receiver

ZEUS121996

So I've finally decided to upgrade my system. Davis and I agree you can never have too much power. So I think I'm going to bring the long wall in, so I can have Khorns in the corners and as a center. Eventually I'd like to add 2 more horns in the rear. Over the center I want to put the LED TV. The questions are:

1 Has anyone tried this and how well does it work?

2 What receiver would you recommend I buy to drive this, both for stereo and HT?

3 Finally, I think I'm going to need an amp or 2 to power this. The TAD-60 that ragingbull let me hear sounded amazing, recommendations please

TY

Mark

So I've finally decided to upgrade my system. Davis and I agree you can never have too much power. So I think I'm going to bring the long wall in, so I can have Khorns in the corners and as a center. Eventually I'd like to add 2 more horns in the rear. Over the center I want to put the LED TV. The questions are:

1 Has anyone tried this and how well does it work?

2 What receiver would you recommend I buy to drive this, both for stereo and HT?

3 Finally, I think I'm going to need an amp or 2 to power this. The TAD-60 that ragingbull let me hear sounded amazing, recommendations please

TY

Mark

Hey Mark, what's your budget?

Are you building slowly or are you ready to get all now? Do you mean you want to use a K'horn as a center channel also?

Can you post some pictures of the room and give us a list of the gear/speakers you have now?

Congratulations on the upgrade to the system! [Y] The more info you can give us, the better we can help you.

Dennie

I've heard good things about Sherwood Newcastle, but I never had the pleasure of hearing one.

She's a beauty.....

R9723x3Angle_1.jpg

So, I take it, HT and 2 Channel will be in the same room. That's how I have mine and it works out well. I use a Pioneer Elite for a preamp and I have a couple different amps that I swap in and out. Adcom 7607 for HT and David Halfler DH200 and/or Adcom 555 for 2 Channel.

If your going to use separate amps, there is no need to use a "receiver". You can get a Pre-amp/processer instead.

Or you can use the Newcastle for HT and just add an amp for 2 channel. think.gif

Dennie

I've heard good things about Sherwood Newcastle, but I never had the pleasure of hearing one.

She's a beauty.....

R9723x3Angle_1.jpg

So, I take it, HT and 2 Channel will be in the same room. That's how I have mine and it works out well. I use a Pioneer Elite for a preamp and I have a couple different amps that I swap in and out. Adcom 7607 for HT and David Halfler DH200 and/or Adcom 555 for 2 Channel.

If your going to use separate amps, there is no need to use a "receiver". You can get a Pre-amp/processer instead.

Or you can use the Newcastle for HT and just add an amp for 2 channel. think.gif

Dennie

Dennie

Right now, I'm running Heresy IIs thru a Denon. Not the best deck, but when the Nak TA-2 went down I decided I needed to upgrade.

The room is 16x24 The plan right now is to bring the wall in, to create walls around the khorn center. While I'm at it I thought I would build in a recessed area around the center for a 65" flat screen. And build bookcases in to the same wall for my library. Now, I think maybe building in an area for the components would look pretty cool.

I'm looking for 3 horns to start, for the fronts and center. When I see how it's sounding, I plan on adding 2 khorns for the rear. Now I'm wondering if having the 2 horns as fronts with Khorn center, if the sound will be greatly affected having the center set back from the 2 fronts.

The Sherwood seems to fit the HT plan, from what I'm reading, I almost don't need an amp for the 7.1, the Sherwood puts out 7 channels @100 per channel. If I wInd up buying an amp, I really like the TAD-60

Oh yea the important $ question. I'm planning on around 10k to start. The Sherwood is $1800 retail, TAD-60 I'm hoping to get for around $700 and then the Horns. It seems like they are running around 2k per pair, so......

I'm in no hurry, I just need to get started on the wall unit and go from there. I keep looking for the horns, i'm hoping I can find somebody who has 4 cosecutive #s and the 5th will have to be close in finish.

Funny, the more I think about it, the more work I'm creating, and the more the price is going up.

Thanks for the input

Mark

I forgot to mention I'm at a garage sale yesterday, the guy has his stereo in his garage. I was asking if he any more components unside for sale, and he tell me he sold "some big *** Klipsch speakers built for corners" for $50 a couple months ago. That's how I run. LOL. What's the saying? a day late.....

Davis and I agree you can never have too much power.

Yes you can. You can have so much much gain in your system that the noise floor becomes audible at the system's lowest setting. It's a real problem...and you can't turn down any further. Bigger ain't always better. Just over 20dB is plenty for the home IMHO, and if you want louder, find a more sensitive speaker.

Davis and I agree you can never have too much power.

Yes you can. You can have so much much gain in your system that the noise floor becomes audible at the system's lowest setting. It's a real problem...and you can't turn down any further. Bigger ain't always better. Just over 20dB is plenty for the home IMHO, and if you want louder, find a more sensitive speaker.

What I said was I dont believe in the word overkill when it comes to speakers. I am not a big power guy as I now use tubes in all of my systems.

Dennie

Right now, I'm running Heresy IIs thru a Denon. Not the best deck, but when the Nak TA-2 went down I decided I needed to upgrade.

The room is 16x24 The plan right now is to bring the wall in, to create walls around the khorn center. While I'm at it I thought I would build in a recessed area around the center for a 65" flat screen. And build bookcases in to the same wall for my library. Now, I think maybe building in an area for the components would look pretty cool.

I'm looking for 3 horns to start, for the fronts and center. When I see how it's sounding, I plan on adding 2 khorns for the rear. Now I'm wondering if having the 2 horns as fronts with Khorn center, if the sound will be greatly affected having the center set back from the 2 fronts.

The Sherwood seems to fit the HT plan, from what I'm reading, I almost don't need an amp for the 7.1, the Sherwood puts out 7 channels @100 per channel. If I wInd up buying an amp, I really like the TAD-60

Oh yea the important $ question. I'm planning on around 10k to start. The Sherwood is $1800 retail, TAD-60 I'm hoping to get for around $700 and then the Horns. It seems like they are running around 2k per pair, so......

I'm in no hurry, I just need to get started on the wall unit and go from there. I keep looking for the horns, i'm hoping I can find somebody who has 4 cosecutive #s and the 5th will have to be close in finish.

Funny, the more I think about it, the more work I'm creating, and the more the price is going up.

Thanks for the input

Mark

Hey Mark,

How about using one of the H-II's for a center channel? A lot less "remodeling" will be required! You can use the other H-II as a Back Center surround.

Just a thought!

Wow, you are ambitious!

Okay some thoughts off the top of my head.

Gear Rack - I don't like having the gear rack in the front of the room, next to the monitor. It can be very distracting, with bouncing and blinking lights.
Although, mine is currently in the front of my room! LOL It is distracting as hell. But, I mainly listen to 2 channel, so not a big problem and my projector screen partially blocks some of the lights and electricial tape takes care of a few others, when watching a movie.

Center Channel Set Back - This is really not a big issue, as you can calibrate with an SPL meter and I doubt you'll notice any difference.

The "Sherwood" - Looks like a great HT receiver. It has pre-outs for all channels, so if you wanted to add a 2 channel amp later on for Stereo listening, you can do so.

K'Horns at $2000 a pair - If your a lucky SOB, yeah! If not, you may have to spend a little more. Then maybe update/replace the crossovers. I would budget more like $3000 a pair. But again, you may be a lucky so and so! LOL

4 Consecutive Serial Numbered K'horns - rolling.gif

It sounds like a fun and ambitious project. As I told my friend who was re-doing his backyard.... If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. He put in his irrigation and drainage and brought in soil, rocks and plantings. Then realized some of the plantings wouldn't work where he thought they would. Now his is ripping up irrigation and drainage to accommodate the NEW plantings. doh.gif

I sat him down with paper and pencils and he is drawing up a PLAN and will not move another shovel full of soil, until the plan is done and approved! LOL

I Highly recommend a "detailed plan" before you start cutting into drywall! It will save you time and lots and lots of money!

Dennie mytwocents.gif

Dennie

Thanks for the input

Mark

Hey Mark,

How about using one of the H-II's for a center channel? A lot less "remodeling" will be required! You can use the other H-II as a Back Center surround.

Just a thought!

Wow, you are ambitious!

Okay some thoughts off the top of my head.

Gear Rack - I don't like having the gear rack in the front of the room, next to the monitor. It can be very distracting, with bouncing and blinking lights.
Although, mine is currently in the front of my room! LOL It is distracting as hell. But, I mainly listen to 2 channel, so not a big problem and my projector screen partially blocks some of the lights and electricial tape takes care of a few others, when watching a movie.

Center Channel Set Back - This is really not a big issue, as you can calibrate with an SPL meter and I doubt you'll notice any difference.

The "Sherwood" - Looks like a great HT receiver. It has pre-outs for all channels, so if you wanted to add a 2 channel amp later on for Stereo listening, you can do so.

K'Horns at $2000 a pair - If your a lucky SOB, yeah! If not, you may have to spend a little more. Then maybe update/replace the crossovers. I would budget more like $3000 a pair. But again, you may be a lucky so and so! LOL

4 Consecutive Serial Numbered K'horns - rolling.gif

It sounds like a fun and ambitious project. As I told my friend who was re-doing his backyard.... If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. He put in his irrigation and drainage and brought in soil, rocks and plantings. Then realized some of the plantings wouldn't work where he thought they would. Now his is ripping up irrigation and drainage to accommodate the NEW plantings. doh.gif

I sat him down with paper and pencils and he is drawing up a PLAN and will not move another shovel full of soil, until the plan is done and approved! LOL

I Highly recommend a "detailed plan" before you start cutting into drywall! It will save you time and lots and lots of money!

Dennie mytwocents.gif

This is the only set of 4 consecutive numbered Khorns that I have ever seen for sale.

Dennie

I thought about using the Heresys for front and back centers. This would save me some time and money. This would probably be a good option, or I could find a couple Belles for centers. Finding 4 consecutive Khorns is probably the most ambitious part of the project, it can be done, Sell it Now out of Milwaukee picked up 4 a little while ago fairly cheap. I didnt include the upgrades in my budget, I look t that as maintenence, not an actual capital improvement. lol

Thanks for the help, Iwill keep you updated as it goes along

Mark

Dennie

I thought about using the Heresys for front and back centers. This would save me some time and money. This would probably be a good option, or I could find a couple Belles for centers. Finding 4 consecutive Khorns is probably the most ambitious part of the project, it can be done, Sell it Now out of Milwaukee picked up 4 a little while ago fairly cheap. I didnt include the upgrades in my budget, I look t that as maintenence, not an actual capital improvement. lol

Thanks for the help, Iwill keep you updated as it goes along

Mark

Please do! I'm excited to see how this goes. Maybe the H-II's can be temporary, while you looking for 2 or 3 or even 4 more K'horns! It will at least get you started.

Belles would be better and easier to place, as center's, than K'horns. scratchheadyellow.gif

Dennie

This is the only set of 4 consecutive numbered Khorns that I have ever seen for sale.

If we all go over there together, maybe we can talk ( hammer.gif) him out of them? lol.gif

blades.gif

Dennie Wink

I had the deal all set up to buy and ship them to me and then she was contacted by an Ebay store telling her how much she could get for then on Ebay. Needles to say the deal fell through !

As I said, I'm not the brightest. If I looked at the date, it's from 2008

Mark, Mark, Mark! doh.gif LOL

It is a very common mistake. I bet you if you reply to that thread, someone else will make an offer. It happens all the time.

(well, not all the time. liar.gif I'm just trying to make you feel better..... imsorry.gif)

But, you can use this one..... imnewhere.gif! [;)]

Dennie whistle.gif