RC52 and RC62 Noise from holes

delhite2

It has been 3 years now since I have had The Ref Setup, recently upgraded the centre to RC62, and bought another Rc52 to make a pair and started to use them as rear surrounds.

All was fine until the other day while watching "The Great Escape" chapter 3 time being 00:16:40 onwards that a distinct noise could be heard from the centre channel during the loud music playback.

I tried all 3 centre channels that i own and the noise came back on all three at high volumes but vanished on low volume, then i tried locating if the horn tweeter or the woofer was making the noise, it was then i pinpointed the noise to be coming from below the speaker. Yes the noise on all three centre channel speakers was coming from the holes given below the speakers to screw the tilt adjuster, when i closed the holes the noise vanished and i could play even more loud without any trouble.

Has anyone faced this issue?

• Like 2

I just put cello tape on the holes, my centre channel is crossed at 80hz.

The noise did increase when I put it at 50 Hz (i.e., I could hear it at even lower volumes) and vice versa.

I doubt cello tape will hold for long. The air pressure could easily push it loose, and then you might get interesting whistling noises from air passing under the tape. I would thread a short 1/4" bolt into the hole, preferably with a small o-ring to seal it.

I just put cello tape on the holes, my centre channel is crossed at 80hz.

The noise did increase when I put it at 50 Hz (i.e., I could hear it at even lower volumes) and vice versa.

I doubt cello tape will hold for long. The air pressure could easily push it loose, and then you might get interesting whistling noises from air passing under the tape. I would thread a short 1/4" bolt into the hole, preferably with a small o-ring to seal it.

It was just a temp solution to make sure and pinpoint the problem. I'll surely see and fix it permanently.

Is it possibly a design flaw i just bought up? if so then I do deserve a little something from Klipsch. :)

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 8/22/2011 at 1:35 AM, delhite2 said:

No, iv NOT faced this issue.

However, at damm near 50 post and NOT one dam person has given you a "Like" now THAT i have a problem with!

Senior to me by a couple years by the way, let me be your first.......

• Like 2

Most of those holes aren't sealed, as they're designed to have threads put through them.  Most are covered by acoustic foam inside the speaker.  Go to a hardware store and purchase a few flat head threaded screwed.  I think they're quarter inch.  Should not cost you more than maybe $3.  The ones I bought are 1/4-20 x 1-1/2".  Those threads are there for the purpose of the speaker to tilt up or down depending on listening position, so they're there by design.

But yes, filling them with their proper thread should solve the issue.

On 8/22/2011 at 3:35 AM, delhite2 said:

It has been 3 years now since I have had The Ref Setup, recently upgraded the centre to RC62, and bought another Rc52 to make a pair and started to use them as rear surrounds.

All was fine until the other day while watching "The Great Escape" chapter 3 time being 00:16:40 onwards that a distinct noise could be heard from the centre channel during the loud music playback.

I tried all 3 centre channels that i own and the noise came back on all three at high volumes but vanished on low volume, then i tried locating if the horn tweeter or the woofer was making the noise, it was then i pinpointed the noise to be coming from below the speaker. Yes the noise on all three centre channel speakers was coming from the holes given below the speakers to screw the tilt adjuster, when i closed the holes the noise vanished and i could play even more loud without any trouble.

Yes I did!  But not with my RC52....which, I plan now to screw a 1/4in screw into the 2nd tilt adjust hole now :)

I purchased an RSW15 from another forum member, and he had told me he didn't use the feet but instead had some hard rubber slabs that he put it on.  Basically the same thing.  Except...at medium volume and up, tones below around 30hz created a strong <fart> sound.

So like any responsible adult I started a thread in Klipsch forum titled, why is my subwoofer farting?   or something like that

There is a port on the RC52, unlike the RSW15, which had a passive radiator instead of a port.  So as a quasi-sealed sub, the RSW15 had a lot of pressure building up that came out through the screw holes for the feet.

Your situation is unique and honestly I think you probably deserve a :emotion-51: for achieving this.

WIth a port on the RC52, it's impressive that you could listen loud enough to hear noise through the holes.  Maybe there is something unique about having both holes open?

Tape should work fine, anything should work fine as it has a port already and the pressure level should be low.  

It would almost seem that the screw holes have a flaw or something, a whistle maybe as I can't imagine you could hear sound from them...but you quite obviously did. 

It's simple, if you really think about it.  Burst of air moving over or thru a small surface causes a whistle.  That's what we're seeing here.  The use of the proper threaded screws will resolve it, I promise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The History Kid said:

It's simple, if you really think about it.  Burst of air moving over or thru a small surface causes a whistle.  That's what we're seeing here.  The use of the proper threaded screws will resolve it, I promise.

True but mine never made that noise and every rc52 has this potential issue so its hard to figure