Palladium SHOW OFF - let's see them!

TurboGen

Skule, The problem is that we have had a leak in the basement and we can't finiish it until we are 100% sure that its fixed. That means holding off on finishing until next spring. We need lots of snow to test the repaired cracks. Rain is one thing, but lots of melting snow puts much more stress on the drainage system and the repairs. So I'm stuck with bare walls and exposed wires.. Not very pretty. I took some pictures of the Emos and the Pals Yesterday and it just didn't look right. The room is about 16X25 dedicated space. I wish I had more but I'm thrilled to have what I have. Much of the time I listen, I just sit there in amazement. As you said, Palladiums are a whole different world. When the time comes we are going to do a nice job an sink some $ into it so it looks good and has lots ot insulation to keep the sound where we want it. That's one of the most important things to me is containing the sound in the basement so my wife can enjoy the peace and sanctity of her home. For me, that means turning it up and not having to feel guilty. Thanks for asking and I will come through eventually. Nic

Hi Skule, I thought I'd answer in two separate posts because the questions are so distinct. The sound is like nothing I've had or heard. The Emotiva UMC-1 does a wonderful job in creating a lively, realistic sound. Changing topics, you are correct, they are XPA-1s. Thanks for the sharp eye. They produce crystal clear sound at any level. From just barely audible to ear splitting maximum. There is no way I can turn it up al the way without ear protection. Thank you again for reading with a sharp eye and expressing interest in my system. Nic

Shake, Let me start by saying I am thinking about getting the UMC-1 for my HT. I am surprised to see someone with so much money invested in their system using a $700 preamp. I have no experience with the UMC-1. I am worried that for the money ($499 now) I wouldn't be getting anything special. My other option is to wait a bit and go with an Onkyo pre in the $1500 range. I have an XPA-5 and the UMC would fit in perfect. How would you compare it to any other pre/pro's? The reviews seem to be a little shaky on it as well which doesn't inspire alot of confidence. Im curious what your thoughts on the UMC-1 are. Thanks

Shake, Let me start by saying I am thinking about getting the UMC-1 for my HT. I am surprised to see someone with so much money invested in their system using a $700 preamp. I have no experience with the UMC-1. I am worried that for the money ($499 now) I wouldn't be getting anything special. My other option is to wait a bit and go with an Onkyo pre in the $1500 range. I have an XPA-5 and the UMC would fit in perfect. How would you compare it to any other pre/pro's? The reviews seem to be a little shaky on it as well which doesn't inspire alot of confidence. Im curious what your thoughts on the UMC-1 are. Thanks

JJC,

You might also get some insight from Youthman. He recently purchased the UMC-1. Personally, I think the Emo line sells for roughly half to one third the price of equivalent gear. If that is correct, then the UMC-1 would be a $1500-2000.00 pre/pro by market standards.

Jason, I've had some issues with it but the sound is amazing. If nothing else puts my Denon 4810 to shame. The room correction is imperfect but still it has an incredible graphic equalizer that you can adjust on the fly and hear instantaneously. Emotiva tech support sticks with you like glue till issues are done. I'll happily repeat this for any thread you start. Nic

• 2 weeks later...

Jason, I'm not sure if it came up in the thread. My ultimate reason for getting the UMC-1 was because their new pre-pro is coming out soon and I will get the 40% off and it will be 900 for me and then I can sell the 1 for whatever. I also found out that my Denon 4810 was only good down to 6 ohms and they strongly recommended I don't mess with that kind of set-up. The 4810 is a great AVR but I found my self stuck with over $4k in Emo amps I couldn't use. Additionally, Emo is replacing my UMC-1 because, as you know it wasn't performing the way I'd hoped. Actually now that I'm getting the hang of it, its not as bad as I had originally thought. A guy who tours with Guns and Roses kind of fell in my lap though a neighbor and came over and tweaked the EQ and schooled me bigtime in about 15 minutes. There are still one or two issues that I'm not sure about so I want to be sure that the UMC-1 I sell is up to snuff since Emo did have a big bag o' problems with it. I know by this time you probably went in a different direction but I just wanted to get on record with my best accounting of what's up with my decision making process. The biggest things for me is the 4 ohm capability and 11 band EQ for all seven channels. Also, as another Member noted Emos stuff if is roughly half off of what the big names are charging due to their streamlined business plan. OK, my conscience is clear. Thanks for starting the thread. Nic

Im not trying to bash emo with this at all and i don't even own the umc-1. I just don't fully understand the loyalty to emo. You had to have it replaced once already. You needed a professional To help with setup. Yet you can't wait to hand emo $900 for their latest installment of a pre/pro sight unseen and with a history of problems on their last pre/pro. You are looking at emo's price point and some how determining that their prices for the pre/pro are some how better than everyone else's based on a business model that includes constant returns, refurbishments, and apparently terrible BETA testing. I love my emo amp and really thought about the umc-1, but I just need to see more from a quality standpoint before spending my hard earned money on a product with that kind of track record.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks Hugeroost - I simply cannot recommend the Palladiums enough, even if you have to pay the full price they are worth it if you ask me.

And yes, that is a wood burning heater, it's made by a Danish company called Scan. This particular one is called a Scan DSA 5 - it actually is too big for this room (meaning it can heat much larger rooms) but we just love the design of it.

Kindof like I love the P39s, even if I am sure the P37s would have been enough for me :-)

Thanks Hugeroost - I simply cannot recommend the Palladiums enough, even if you have to pay the full price they are worth it if you ask me.

And yes, that is a wood burning heater, it's made by a Danish company called Scan. This particular one is called a Scan DSA 5 - it actually is too big for this room (meaning it can heat much larger rooms) but we just love the design of it.

Kindof like I love the P39s, even if I am sure the P37s would have been enough for me :-)

I agree. I have had B&W 800's and the Palladiums are right there with them. I'd actually have to say that I prefer the Palladiums because you do not need 500 wpc to drive them. They are also a little punchier than the B&W's.

• 1 year later...