EV Patrician IV home construction

barefootpoet

I finally decided to take the plunge and build an Electro-Voice Patrician IV. I've always found this particular speaker both bold and interesting and a wonderful example of 1950s vintage American Hi-Fi. So far I've built the front portion of the bass horn assembly and should complete the inside chambers this weekend or next.

Wish me luck.

post-52013-13819661239444_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I finally completed the two inside portions of the two "dead air cavities" and their function is compared to the "dashpot of a Corlis steam engine" and acting somewhat like an air spring to give the the woofer "push back" during certain octaves.

Does anyone know if Mr. Klipsch incorporated such in his speakers? Or is this something Mr. Carlson at E-V designed into the Patrician IV?

I finally decided to take the plunge and build an Electro-Voice Patrician IV. I've always found this particular speaker both bold and interesting and a wonderful example of 1950s vintage American Hi-Fi. So far I've built the front portion of the bass horn assembly and should complete the inside chambers this weekend or next.

Wish me luck.

post-52013-13819662717252_thumb.jpg

John, today I caulked and prime painted the inside portions of the bass horn assembly pictured in the previous posts. The plans really made clear that the enclosure must be air tight. I'm now working on cutting the intricate details of the back overlay (part 21) that will form the back part of the speaker enclosure. I'll have to admit that so far this has put my novice wood working skills to the test.

post-52013-1381966308677_thumb.jpg

The exterior grilled decorator cabinets were beautifully designed by EV. The Patrician and Georgian used similar techniques to hide the plywood horn structures from view. The guy that owns this one runs a place called Audio Ventures in Waukesha, WI. His shop used to be located at West Allis, WI which I visted a couple of times when I lived in the area.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you think this 18-inch driver would be a good choice for a Patrician enclosure? Seem to match up fairly well with the 18 WK

Eminence Delta Pro-18C 18" Driver 4 Ohm

Long throw subwoofer for small vented cabinets. Oversize top plate and large pole vent help keep the voice coil cool. Recommended enclosure size: 3.0-10.0 cu. ft.

Specifications: Power handling: 500 watts RMS VCdia: 2.5" Le: 2.65 mH Impedance: 4 ohms Re: 3.8 ohms Frequency range: 35-200 Hz Magnet weight: 67 oz. Fs: 27.23 Hz SPL: 94.4 dB 1W/1m Vas: 17.26 cu. ft. Qms: 13.24 Qes: 0.32 Qts: 0.32 Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 18", Cutout Diameter: 16.57", Depth: 8.13".

Do you think this 18-inch driver would be a good choice for a Patrician enclosure? Seem to match up fairly well with the 18 WK

Eminence Delta Pro-18C 18" Driver 4 Ohm
Long throw subwoofer for small vented cabinets. Oversize top plate and large pole vent help keep the voice coil cool. Recommended enclosure size: 3.0-10.0 cu. ft.

Specifications: • Power handling: 500 watts RMS • VCdia: 2.5" • Le: 2.65 mH • Impedance: 4 ohms • Re: 3.8 ohms • Frequency range: 35-200 Hz • Magnet weight: 67 oz. • Fs: 27.23 Hz • SPL: 94.4 dB 1W/1m • Vas: 17.26 cu. ft. • Qms: 13.24 • Qes: 0.32 • Qts: 0.32 •Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 18", Cutout Diameter: 16.57", Depth: 8.13".

I would forgo the unneeded power handling for a wider frequency response and better SPL. also,,,,youprobally already know this...but your going to habe to modify thecrossover to account for the 16 ohm woofer that you are not going to use.

post-22082-13819663846606_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, Speakerfritz. I did think the power rating capacity was a bit much on this Eminence speaker for a folded horn application but the "long throw" feature seemed ideal. It is interesting that the EV 18WK was 16 Ohm but had a 3.2 DC rating similar to a 4 Ohm speaker to pull more power from the amp.

Thanks for the tip, Speakerfritz. I did think 500 watts was a biiiit much for a folded-horn application. I did like the "long throw" feature of moving air through the column. Also the EV 18WK was 16 Ohms but had a DC of 3.2 similar to a 4 Ohm speaker to pull more power from the amp when needed.

• 5 weeks later...