Separates-A Different Sound

Originally posted in Home Theater by mistake

I recently made a move to separates and I thoroughly enjoy the sound. Previously, I was using a Sony STR835 sound processor for music and to my untrained ear, it sounded good. With separates I've noticed that I do not get the floppy, lingering bass that I had with the receiver. The bass is still there but it's quick without the lingering effects. Actually, it took a while for me to get used to the sound. I think that the extra power of the amp has a tighter hold on the woofers, they do not move as much with the amp.

I'm void of all the terms some use to describe the sound, but I can hear more of the background on music than I did before. Although both pieces of my equipment are old, I'm really impressed with the difference that I hear--in my case, separates are better.

One very noticeable difference is the ability to crank the volume up without clipping. I had to be really careful with the Sony, it could not handle the increased volume. The MX-800 is a powerful amp, my ears give up before it does. The amp is a keeper, eventually I will purchase another preamp that does two-channel great justice with the option for home theater in the future.

EE

Welcome to the world of the upgrade bug. Next think you know, you'll be upgrading interconnects and speaker cable with reckless abandon! :-)

I also found that upgrading the amplification in my system produced favorable results: deeeper bass extension, wider sound stage, etc. The amplifier sections of receivers are OK, but separate amplifiers that are well designed/built have much greater control over the speakers, and can handle greater loads at higher volume levels. Even at lower volumes, a separate amp has benefits.

COngratulations on your purchase.

------------------

Mike - Livonia, MI

Klipsch RF-3 L/R

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RB-5 rears

HSU Research VF-2 Sub

Marantz SR-19EX receiver

Marantz MM-9000 Amp

NAD T550 DVD

Adcom GCD 700 CD

I first noticed this way back when .. When I changed over

from the built in amp in my car to 3 sets of preamp outs

from the headunit to a 5 channel amp.

Now i was running a seperate amp rated at a mere 40watts

rms ( Prescision Power amp to MB Quart seperates 6.5 )

and the speakers just came to life.

Cant wait to be able to afford seperates in my home setup..

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

Sony STR-DE975 HT Reciever

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub

AR Proseries Interconects

EE

Once you go separates, you will NEVER go back. I made the change 15 years ago. Now I am building a 7.1 home theatre that will have 7 Amps. Sides, fronts, center and SW will each have there own amp. The only stereo amp will be for the back 2 speakers.

What I notice is the improved separation. 2 channel Music images better giving it a much more 3 dimensional sound.

The reason is No shared ground circuit. In a stereo amp even a real good one that has multiple power supplies, they both are tied to the same chassis ground. That causes ground leak.

To get even better separation, when you design your room, run separate 20 amp circuits to your rack directly from your service box, both having there own ground and neutral wire. If possible, have each circuit put on a separate power phase. Some people say this is overkill, but the KEY IS keeping your separates as SEPARATE as possible, giving you better imaging.

Have fun.

JM