Newbie would like advice on Vintage Klipsch's

geezerrocket

Hello all, I am soliciting advice on which Klipsch's to buy for a all vintage system that I am currently assembling. My amp is a completly rebuilt Stromberg Carlson ASR 433. It is a EL84 P/P integrated - 12wpc. The tuner is a Scott 370 tubed unit. The table is a rebuilt Lenco L75 with a Rega RB 250 arm. Here's the thing - I want to keep my budget around the $700 mark so I am considering the following; The Forte, Chorus, Heresy, or the Cornwall. I really have no experience with the Klipsch sound other than what I have heard from others. The word dynamic keeps popping up, and that's what I am after. I already have a nice Magnepan, Pass Labs, Prima Luna system, so I do not want to spend a ton of $$$$$. My oldest daughter and the University of Minnesota are doing a fine job of keeping me in a perpetual state of broke!!

Cornwalls are certainly within your budget and will sound pretty good.

But most of us, including me, are going to ignore your budget and simply recommend buying Klipschorns. Over the last couple of years, thanks to the bankers and politicians, the prices have dropped considerably and they would almost be within your price range. Keep an eye open for them, they really do sound good. Perhaps someone lives nearby who will give you a listen.

Good luck,

-Tom

Welcome to the forum!!

I would vote for Cornwalls based on your list but do agree with PrestonTom regarding K-horns.

Heritage speakers (Cornwalls and K-Horns) don't come up for sale to often in our neck of the woods. (I'm 70 NE of the Twin Cities)

I'll keep an eye out for you but only one eye, I may want them for myself. [;)]

JJ

Welcome to the forum, I have owned all of the above mentioned. My vote is for the Chorus or the Heresy. The Chorus will give you the bass that most people want with out the large foot print of the CW. The Heresy is such an amazing little speaker that is so musical, in the right setting they are hard to beat.

You can't go wrong with what you are looking for within the Kilpsch line. Your ears will lead the way.

Cornwalls are certainly within your budget and will sound pretty good.

But most of us, including me, are going to ignore your budget and simply recommend buying Klipschorns. Over the last couple of years, thanks to the bankers and politicians, the prices have dropped considerably and they would almost be within your price range. Keep an eye open for them, they really do sound good. Perhaps someone lives nearby who will give you a listen.

Good luck,

-Tom

If you are NOW thinking about K'horns and you don't have two good corners, think La Scalas! bravo.gif

Welcome to the Klipsch Forum, we're glad you're here.

Dennie

My vote is for a pair of LaScalas and a subwoofer to get the frequencies below 60Hz. Heresies sell for between 650and 1200 a pair, and subs can be made or bought for $200 to $infinity.

If you want to get in budget, I would say replace the LaScala idea with Heresy II. You will still need a sub.

The room will play a big factor as to what will sound best. I had a set of cornwalls in a 12x12 room sounded good but not great now I could move those same speakers into our living room and BAMMM! I have a set of Heresy II's and a set of Forte II's. The forte II's fit the bill for me as I love the detail and bass these things make in my lil 12x12 room. The Heresy's sound just as good in most ways but a sub is needed to bring out the low's that I like. Good luck with your search and welcome!

I have made my decision after much thought and research. As I stated earlier, Lascalla's, K-Horn's, and Belle's are out as I just do not have the space they require. I have therefore decided to purchase the Bob Crites "Cornscalla" style D. I had decided to buy a good used pair of Cornwll's however, I just could not find anything out there at this time that was within a days drive, plus shipping would have made them cost prohibitive. The pre-cut Russian (Baltic) birch flat pack should arrive within 3 weeks. I will post picture's and give my thoughts from time to time as the build progress's. Thanks to all for advice.