CS1 vs Drift

Hey everyone,

I wanted to post some pics from this week. Dave Harris came over to compare speakers. He brought with him 2 of his own speakers…. Non Klipsch in form vs my CS-1.

The CS-1s are Bob Crites woofers, Selenium H25-25 horn and Selenium D220ti 16ohm. I had a friend build me the crossovers…(Crossovers don’t make use of autoformers), Cab is 2.2cu ft, 1.25” thick motor board and ¾” on all other panels. The cab has a motor board to back board brace and is very resonate free. (The CS-1 is a Bob Crites creation and I’d say is an incredibly neutral 2way).

Dave’s creation may have been born from the use of his tweeter lens on my Cornscala’s. During the Cornscala build (Using his Eliptical Horn) I had brought the Selenium baby check horn but saw his tweeter lens and begged him to use it. When he compared the two lenses, it was clear his lens was a better choice. Dave has paired this lens and a Selenium D220ti for the 2nd half of a 2way. The Bass is handled by an unlikely choice, a 10” woofer with a whizzer cone. I hope Dave chimes in to share more… Cab I think was similar in size the CS-1s and built of 3/4" ply... very cool bracing inside, ported via 2 PCV ports. The craziness is that the crossover was done with a Lpad and a Capacitor. He additionally brought an ALK crossover and it sounded much much better, but the very simple Lpad/Capacitor arrangement was more than enough for 95% of all the music. Dave’s combination was really cool, tighter bass than my CS-1 and perhaps greater extension. I still love what I have, but I liked Dave’s design enough to ask that he build me 1. Really cool seeing how different designs can get so close to amazing sound.

post-39161-13819661426972_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Dave’s creation may have been born from the use of his tweeter lens on my Cornscala’s.

This is absolutely correct, I had no intention of making this horm available because I didn't think it would perform any better than the run of the mill plastic lenses by selenium or etc. Justin however was insistant that I do an a/b comparison of the lenses on his Cornscala's, the difference in the two lenses was far from subtle, and was my inspiration to use this lens in a 2 way speaker.

The woofer with a whizzer cone is a tried and true pro audio driver used primarily in bass amps, this 10 inch driver has extension up to 4khz which makes the simple single capacitor first order balancing network feasable. I have been considering using a pair of these woofers in a tower 3-way configuration to gain spl and overall performance.

The ALK Extreme Slope crossover is clearly a better choice for 2 channel listening, however the simple network is more than ample for most applications.

During the crossover swap, I believe piano was playing, Justin's fist impression was " I dont really hear a difference" I suggested he choose some music he was very familiar with, I believe Justin chose "Peppery Man" by "Natalie Merchant", from Justin's expression alone, I could see he perferred the ALK ES network, which was no surprize. The Beauty of this ALK ES network is that it is not an expensive network to build, Litz inductors are not required, and the component values are readily available from Parts Express, Madisound.

Dave

Guest David H

Thank god someone else has too many speakers/audio equipment too.

I think that is a reasonably common thin around the forums.

Justin, how about a 10.25" Circletrac ? I was thinking about building a twin woofer 3-way version of the Drift.

post-24405-13819661525742_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

I just want one of the horns for show and tell :-)....

Cool

What driver are you thinking?

Still considering the use of the D-220.

Did some testing last night horn loading a soft dome into the Contrac Hybrid lens, results are excellent so far.

Dave

Guest David H

You have a nice system, and Dave tells me he liked your Emo DAC so much he ordered one for himself.

I recieved the Emotiva XDA-1 Dac yesterday, and I am pleasantly surprised, it seems to be well built, and sounds great. I am currently using it as a stand alone Dac/Preamp.

Dave

post-24405-13819661766334_thumb.jpg

I was inspired by Dave's speakers. So this weakend I built these speakers. It will use the same woffer and APT-150 super tweeter.0828011643-1.jpg

Brian

Any update on your speakers yet?

Dave

My projects always seem to take me forever. They are already loud with no drivers. I am going to try to build two crossovers and see witch I like more. A first order with a autoformer and second order with out autoformer at 4KHz. Brian

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm24/brians7/Mobile%20Uploads/?action=view&current=0911012045.jpg?action=view&current=0911012045.jpg

Thanks Dave. I made cabinet volume 2.9 cubic feet and the port 1.75x14x7 so it is loaded a little different. I will let you know how it works out. Brian

I ran a simulation on your box design, should work excellent.

Your box is the blue trace, the Drift is violet.

Dave

post-24405-13819662870288_thumb.jpg