HK AVR 3600

PhilMays

Big Cliff bought one a while back; but I am not sure if he is still using it for HT.

I have an AVR 7300 (older; 2005-2006; but with 120 wpc stereo and 100X7).

I also just acquired an AVR 340, and have an old HK 430 Twin Powered.

I love HK products and have been lucky with no issues so far.

Hit up Big Cliff; or perhaps I can help?

Thanks for the reply's. I guess I was wondering how people liked them. I've always heard great things about HK products, but never owned any. I really don't expect it to come close to my old Yamy, but I also can't afford to spend that kind of money these days either (17 month old twins). I bought this unit for $415 from HK direct as a factory recondition.

I'll not use the internal amps, but rather an outboard 150 wpc amp. I'm glad to hear so many people like them...and by the way, with 17 month old twins the majority use this system will get nick Jr., Barnet, and wonder pets.....geeze, what happened man!

Well, my initial impression is that you get what you pay for. It's certainly no Yamy Z1. However, I've only spent a few hours on the setup and have not used the automatic calibration thingy yet. I'll do that today and we'll see. I thought this thing did video upscalling, but running my cable and DVD though this product actually degridaded the signal...oh well..it's a unit for a very occasional movie, an will be fine for Barney and Moose A Moose :)

No...I don't like how STOOOOPID I am...LOL! I did the auto speaker setup today and found out that a wire to the center had become disconnected....so I was getting the effects but no center channel. It's all good now and sounds just fine...still not my Yamy...but I'm very happy considering what I paid for it :)

(I couldn't do that last night as this room back up to my 17 month old twins nursery.

I have the HK AVR 3600 for about 7 months and I must say that the sound quality has improved dramatically over this period of time. I have a 5.1 system with big speakers. I wanted more power, primarily for music, so I added an Emotiva 3 channel Amp for the front speakers. I use the HK amp to just power my rear speakers

I gave up on the auto setup. I just wasn't happy with the results. I experimented until I had the sound I liked. The video is excellent, in my opinion. Upconversion to 1080P is flawless. I had Kubrick's "2001" on a few months ago and my son couldn't believe the video and sound quality.

On another note, I just started browsing the "newest" AV receivers and found the number and types of new features to be mind boggling. " Start your car from your receiver" ,,,Just kidding, but I wouldn't want to go through the drugery of learning features on a new receiver that I probably won't even use. It was hard enough to get familiar with the HK, but I'm kind of obtuse.

Yeh, I've been out of the market for many years and I think that's what happens when you built a good quality system. For me to have significantly upgraded, I would have had to spend some really major bucks...so...

It is amazing to read about new features, and I'm amazed at how much these have come down in price. do you use the HDMI? Currently I have this hooked up to an old RPTV (Pioneer) that give a totally awesome picture, and do not have HDMI...I'm not sure the 3600 upconverts through the component connection.

I too have it amped with a 150 WPC 5 channel amp...it looks like the zone two is pretty easy to operate, and I may utilize that.

After having this set up for a little while now, I can say I am truly impressed.

It does not have all of the settings my Yami has, but honestly it has all of the settings I use...nothing more and nothing less. The sound is VERY clean and ease of use is unlike any AVR 've ever owned.

I can honestly say this is one very nice unit and I'm happy it's in my set up!

Yes, I use HDMI but it does upconvert through component connections. It really shines when playing DVDs, whether blu-ray or regular. It all depends on the DVD's quality. I usually look at Amazon ratings. Criterion has some of the best DVD pressings. They specialize in foreign and classic American films. I was looking for a Criterion pressing last week and the Amazon reviews were terrible. It appeared that Amazon was substituting an inferior pressing. I ordered directly from Criterion even though it was a little more money. I've also found some really good DVD sets at Costco--very cheap. Kubrick's 2001 blu-ray was amazing--completely restored.