Best Subwoofer for the money...

neo33

I am about to rebuild my 5.1 Home Theatre system using La Scala Fronts, Cornwall Center and Cornwall Surrounds. If I want to get just one really good subwoofer to share between my Home Theatre and my 2-Channel system, what would be the one to get?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people recomend the sub that they're currently using (for some reason[:o]). Do you want to build a sub or buy one? Does size matter? Do you have a budget? How loud do you normally listen? Are asthetics important? How big is the room and how many openings?

How loud do you normally listen? Are asthetics important? How big is the room and how many openings?

How big is you attic, is it accessible to the listening room ? Stick out tongue

[Y]

Now dtel, I was trying to be non-bias and NOT recoment the particular sub I'm using now[H]. I've found that the number of people willing to cut sheetrock for optimum bass is pretty low. Normally I go down that road after a few leading questions[:D].

• Moderators

How loud do you normally listen? Are asthetics important? How big is the room and how many openings?

How big is you attic, is it accessible to the listening room ? Stick out tongue

Yes

Now dtel, I was trying to be non-bias and NOT recoment the particular sub I'm using nowCool. I've found that the number of people willing to cut sheetrock for optimum bass is pretty low. Normally I go down that road after a few leading questionsBig Smile.

Your expected to be a little biased if it really works good for you, but your right not many would be willing to try it. I don't know why not sheetrock is not hard to deal with on a small area like that compared to a whole wall or ceiling..

Well he did say best, and one of the best parts is it does not take up any room space, If I had a way to use an IB sub I would. [Y]

[:S]

Whisper psst.... paradigm.... hehehe

I have the Paradigm DST-3200, and it harder than any other sub I own.

Paradigm subs are not cheap, so I'm not sure how they fare in the "for the money" part of the title question. Fot the money you would be best picking a DYI plan, and building a sub.

If money is no object, JL Audio makes a darn good sub. Any of them would make you smile. The cheapest one they sell is $2100 retail,though. [:S]

Years ago, I compared the 20 and 25-Hz output levels for various price subs. I found used subs, kits, such as Parts Express (simple to assemble, saves a lot!) and DIY to be the most bang for the buck. Forum poster THE EAR suggested using epik, elemental designs and SVS.

Most people recomend the sub that they're currently using (for some reasonSurprise). Do you want to build a sub or buy one? Does size matter? Do you have a budget? How loud do you normally listen? Are asthetics important? How big is the room and how many openings?

Okay, first thing first. For 2-Channel music, a sub is not really important but it would be nice for classical materials. For Home Theathre, it is a necessity. I don't want to build one since I have no time and I don't want to spend an arm an a leg for it, should be under $750. I don't know much about the size of a sub; does a big sub play tighter than a small sub? I don't want a sub that is as big as my La Scala. It should be about the size of the Heresy that can produce tight bass and can go down to at least 30Hz at 120db. Am I asking too much for the money? The sub should be dark, i.e. black in color. The room is about 20' x 30' with two openings, one on the left side and one on the bottom right side. However, please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that no matter how the room look, (i.e. number of openings, large or small) the sub placement should not be a factor if I get the right sub.

Okay, first thing first. For 2-Channel music, a sub is not really important but it would be nice for classical materials.

You'll be surprised how much a good sub will add to music, especially with Heritage speakers.

For Home Theathre, it is a necessity. I don't want to build one since I have no time and I don't want to spend an arm an a leg for it, should be under $750.

Do you care if it's used or does it need to be new?

The room is about 20' x 30' with two openings, one on the left side and one on the bottom right side. However, please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that no matter how the room look, (i.e. number of openings, large or small) the sub placement should not be a factor if I get the right sub.

The size of the room matters if you're planning on getting good coverage for the entire room. A room that big with those openings won't "pressurize" like a smaller room with no openings. A smaller sub will definitely be noticed but may not keep up with your mains at louder listening levels.

Most people recomend the sub that they're currently using (for some reasonSurprise). Do you want to build a sub or buy one? Does size matter? Do you have a budget? How loud do you normally listen? Are asthetics important? How big is the room and how many openings?

Just to go against the grain, but I use dual ED subs at the moment and I would not recommend going with them! Lol...I'm not kidding.

You'll be surprised how much a good sub will add to music, especially with Heritage speakers.

I can agree to that.

Do you care if it's used or does it need to be new?

I don't mind a used one if it is in good cosmetic condition (i.e. no major scratches and dings).

The size of the room matters if you're planning on getting good coverage for the entire room. A room that big with those openings won't "pressurize" like a smaller room with no openings. A smaller sub will definitely be noticed but may not keep up with your mains at louder listening levels.

What about room treatment?