Best Subwoofer for the money...

neo33

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a reasonable battery of measurements of the Empire run by Ricci at AVS forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1351494&highlight=epik+empire

As per Epik, the Legend has roughly 6dB less output than the Empire across the range.

According to that thread, the Empire is only good for music but not for movies. And the Legend is even less desireable. I guess Epik is no go for me.

FWIW, here's my take on the measurements: obviously the frequency response leaves something to be desired, but with a bit of EQ, you could have a sub that roughly matches the output capabilities of subs like the Hsu VTF 3.3 or SVS PB12-NSD down low (20-40Hz), but with much greater headroom and lower distortion in the upper frequencies.

FWIW, here's my take on the measurements: obviously the frequency response leaves something to be desired, but with a bit of EQ, you could have a sub that roughly matches the output capabilities of subs like the Hsu VTF 3.3 or SVS PB12-NSD down low (20-40Hz), but with much greater headroom and lower distortion in the upper frequencies.

That entails I need to spend extra for the EQ hardware?

That entails I need to spend extra for the EQ hardware?

Depending on your processor/AVR choice, you may already have pretty good automated EQ built in with Audyssey MultEQ and MultiEQ XT, or better yet, XT32. Of course, if you want to get more personal with your EQ, you'd need to get something like the Velodyne SMS-1. And as CECAA says, EQ is definitely a desirable feature for good quality bass reproduction. Putting even the best subwoofer into a real room, you'll end up with peaks and dips. EQ helps even that out. I'll also add that all that extra headroom the Empire has in the 50-120Hz band could come in rather handy if you find you've got a small to moderate dip in that area.

Just to go against the grain, but I use dual ED subs at the moment and I would not recommend going with them! Lol...I'm not kidding.

mostly reliability issues?

Not exactly, at least in my experience. It seems to me to be a quality control issue. If you get a sub from them that works perfectly, and most probably do, it will be great. But, if you don't you may have to deal with their customer service which can be great, but it also can be inconsistent. I had a custom sub designed by them that was junk from the start (it worked, but it's poor design led to extremely low output for a sealed 15") and I got most of my money back with a promise of all of it IF they found an issue once I shipped it back. Long story short, they found the sub to be working great. They designed a poor sub and probably didn't test it before it went out and when they got it back from me and chose to pretend the issue didn't exist. Left a sour taste in my mouth. I do have 2 A5-350's from them now, but only because I could get them from a forum member here who lets me audition gear in my theater room to see how it plays with my stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I am about to rebuild my 5.1 Home Theatre system using La Scala Fronts, Cornwall Center and Cornwall Surrounds. If I want to get just one really good subwoofer to share between my Home Theatre and my 2-Channel system, what would be the one to get?

The key word for me here is La Scala. I would suggest a horn-loaded sub, but you said you didn't want to DIY and you didn't want it to be as big as the La Scala. Two strikes. The Danley DTS-10 is out of you price range as well.

As for EQ, the cheapest way in a standalone solution is the miniDSP, but you can't use standalone EQ without measuring.

Just to go against the grain, but I use dual ED subs at the moment and I would not recommend going with them! Lol...I'm not kidding.

mostly reliability issues?

Not exactly, at least in my experience. It seems to me to be a quality control issue. If you get a sub from them that works perfectly, and most probably do, it will be great. But, if you don't you may have to deal with their customer service which can be great, but it also can be inconsistent. I had a custom sub designed by them that was junk from the start (it worked, but it's poor design led to extremely low output for a sealed 15") and I got most of my money back with a promise of all of it IF they found an issue once I shipped it back. Long story short, they found the sub to be working great. They designed a poor sub and probably didn't test it before it went out and when they got it back from me and chose to pretend the issue didn't exist. Left a sour taste in my mouth. I do have 2 A5-350's from them now, but only because I could get them from a forum member here who lets me audition gear in my theater room to see how it plays with my stuff.

You cannot bash a company for something that happened to you. you have to remeber that they sell a ton of subs and there will be problems which is understandable. I have had three eD subs in the last 4-5 years and never had a problem with their customer service nor the subs.