KLF 30 woofer rattles (I isolated the woofer)

t-man

I just picked up a used set of KLF 30s. After setting them up and listening for a while I thought I heard a rattle at certain bass frequencies. I was able to eventually nail down a segment of a movie that made it occur an then proceeded to isolate where the problem is. It is not the cabinet, but one of the lower wwoofers. Makes a rapid rattle/banging noise at the bass frequency. I feel no rubbing/scratching when I carefully press in the woofer. The other woofers (3) don't make this noise. When I ran Audyssey earlier I was surprised that they set the mains to small with a 80 hz crossover frequency. Perhaps now I know why?

Is my woofer blown? Can I repair it? Are there replacements available?

Thanks,

Troy

I had a similar problem with a KG-5.2. I found a small section of the rubber surround had come loose from the woofer basket.

I removed the woofer, carefully pried the black plastic trim ring off the front of the woofer and resecured the surround with some white glue I had left over from replacing the foam surrounds on a pair of JBL L-26s.

I'm not sure of the exact type of glue; it came with the surrounds purchased from Rick Cobb (looneytune2001 on eBay) .

Check as mentioned above first.You should look at the area where the diaphram meets the spider(accordian lookin') and that meets metal all the way around.That area sometimes come loose and needs reglued, I just done this on an auto woofer, when you tap quickly on the diaphram by the dust cover it smacks when contact is made.Just another thing to check , good luck.

visual inspection (woofer out) revealed no problems to me. Even swapped it into the other cabinet and the problem followed the woofer. I also learned ththat one speaker has K-31-K drivers and the other has K-31-E woofers. Did Klipsch use both interchangeably? The previous owner swears they are original and purchased the speakers new from an authorized dealer.

Troy

K and E are interchangable. There are a couple of other things to check. There could be a loose dustcap on the woofer. That will buzz or rattle. You can typically press on it a lille during play and see if the problem goes away. Another thing I have had happen was there was extra glue between the cone/cap and the voice coil that over time broke loose. It would rattle under the dustcap. If nothing is rubbing it sounds like something is in the motor section so you may need to take the dustcap off just to do a closer inspection.

Seems like Klipsch had K originally and changed to E types on later date...And you are the fortunate to experience them together! [:D] This does solve a mystery of K and E, but it doesn't solve your problem!

If you run a frequency sweep to find out at which frequency it does, will help you diagnose the problem with loose dust cap or chipped glue rattle within...

Dust cap was the issue!! It was certain loose, and I picked it right off. PO, must have replaced it as it wasn't even centered. Is there an easy way to remove the adhesive from the poly woofer before attempting to glue on another one? I should probably just use a new dust cap instead of trying to save the old one - it seems the rim of it is no longer "true" from being on off center for so long. Any installation tips?

Thanks!

Hey Troy,

I just got a pair of KLF 30 on Sunday and had the same noice. After a few hours I found a loose dust cap as well. I got the waterdameged pair from CL and I am going to build new Cabinets. Are you the lucky guy who got the KLF 30 plus KLF C7 plus subwoofer deal from CL a couple of weeks ago?

Audyssey, 80 hz crossover??? Does that have something to do with my Quartet's make the whole house rattle and the KLF's don't?

Please keep us updated on how your dust cap repair worked out.

Thanks, Tobi (North Minneapolis)

Tobi,

Wow - another local with similar interest in gear/cars. Interesting. Yes, I got that set from CL. Still trying to figure out if I want to keep them over my Quartets. Once I get everything working correctly I'll be able to do some better testing. When I originally ran Audyssey, it set the fronts to 80hz crossover. I since found the rattling dust cap and that one of the woofers on another speaker wasn't even hooked up as a wire came loose.

I hope you are good at woodworking - it is not an easy task to build a speaker cabinet. I also was interested in that damaged set as I figured it would make a great horizontal center channel project (I would have stripped the veneer and painted black) to build into my TV stand. See pic. I imagine using a horizontal KLF30 and just extending the overal size laterally with 2 wooden "cubes" to match in size for DVDs/baskets... The dang C7 is 2" too tall to fit into existing stand.

P1010606-013.jpghttp://troy.krugercentral.com/klipsch/klf30/P1010606-013.jpg

Troy

P1010606-013.jpg

You got a nice deal on your set, Troy. I replyed to the ad on CL less than 2 hours after he starded it and he replyed very fast that it allready sold.

I still have to find out if everything works the way it should and than A/B test them against the Quartets. I am pretty new to this so it is not easy.
Do the crossovers work properly, do the horns sound right or do they need attention? I don't know.
I do Kitchen and Bath remodeling and I could do a nice tile job on the cabinets but good woodworking skills? Plywood seems to be the better material for this and I think I am going to double up on the sides, top and base. Lots of screws, glue and braces will do the trick and I hope they will stay under 135 pounds. I am also thinking about changing the shape, maybe make them lower and wider.
My Mitsubishi M-VR 1000 is maybe not the best choice but I can think about that later.

I am open to suggestions from the people on the forum regarding all the tasks I am facing here.

Oops, I hope I am not highjacking your original post but dynamic is good, isn't it?!

They where soked and the MDF looks like a sponge. Also almost all seams came apart and the former owner drove some random drywall screws through the sides.The motor board is still loose. It realy does not make sense to fix them.

nope. If you have a spare foot (bottom of the speaker), I could sure use one- I only need the plastic cover. You might be able to make your money back quite easily parting out the drivers, but the problem is you can't verify if they work (have been damaged) since you don't have working cabinets. I guess an ohm meter might be in your future.

OK, I think there is a misunderstanding here. Last Saturday I went to look at the speakers thinking I can refinish them and learned that it does not make sense. I went home and put some thoughts in to my possibility's of building new cabinets. On Sunday I picked them up knowing I will build new cabinets. That will give me the nice sound of the KLF's and the peace of mind that they will not fall apart when I crank them up. Ok, I will always have to worry about the drivers.
I do own a ohm meter (I need it for the FIAT). ;-)
I just forgot about that, thank you fro reminding me. I am not sure what the readings are suppose to be. The drivers should be fine if both sides show the same Ohm reading assuming they sound fine and don't scratch ?? How about the crossover?
I am not sure yet if I am going to use the feet or not.

Maybe you would like to come over one evening and have a bear and chat. You only live around seven miles from my house. I am going to part them out soon.