1982 Cornwall 1.5

davis419b

I bought a couple of sets of Cornwalls this year and I decided to sell one set. I pulled them out to take pics for an ad. When I pulled the backs off of the 82,s I was surprised at what I saw. I have owned quite a few Cornwalls and seen alot more but I have never seen any with K-51 mid drivers. I am real curious what you guys think about these drivers.

You can enlarge the pics by clicking on them.

post-29696-13819662001322_thumb.jpg

I have a pair like those. It's a ferrite version of the K-55-V. Some don't like them, but mine sound great. Also, I can't remember for sure, but I think the have the split phase plug like the K-55-V's from that era so they go up a little higher and cleaner than the non-split phase plug K-55's.

About the only driver I have not seen in a cornwall, but very well could have been made, is a K-55-M. The EV 1824 is the rarest driver I have seen in a late 60's or newer cornwall.

I have a pair like those. It's a ferrite version of the K-55-V. Some don't like them, but mine sound great. Also, I can't remember for sure, but I think the have the split phase plug like the K-55-V's from that era so they go up a little higher and cleaner than the non-split phase plug K-55's.

About the only driver I have not seen in a cornwall, but very well could have been made, is a K-55-M. The EV 1824 is the rarest driver I have seen in a late 60's or newer cornwall.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. These Cornwalls do sound nice !

I believe Colterphoto may have come up with the Cornwall 1.5 designation to show the transitional Cornwall that used the plastic mid horn and klipsch made mid driver. It is easy to tell those because they should have the B-3 crossover, and the other parts mentioned above.

The driver pictured by davis419b is OEM and was used interchangeably with the dual phase plug solder terminal K-55-V.

Hi,

I seldom ever post here, but read the forums all the time. Just wanted to chime in, as this post hits close to home. I have a pair of '82 Cornwalls that I have fitted with Dave Harris's Fastrac wooden tractrix flare squaker horns. I recapped the factory B-2 crossovers with Bob Crites Sonic Caps. I'm powering them witha rebuilt Scott 299C and they sound fantastic!

For fun I pulled some K55's from my '77 Heresies and installed them in my Cornscalas and was a little surprised to fing the beautifully presented midrange I'd grown to love was gone. I left them that way for about a week, trying to give myself time to adjust to the sound, but eventually grew tired of listening to that arrangement and reinstalled my K51's, and the magic was back. Maybe the B-2 crossover is tailored to the the K51's? I'm not sure, and have long debated trying a crossover tailor made for the cornscalas (perhaps an ALK?) that may wind up proving a K55 to be the best in an optimized setup.

At any rate, I believe the K51 with the metal K600 horn to be the correct factory installed component's in an '82 ( X serial letter) Cornwall, and to my ears the K51 is quite a treat.

• 4 years later...