Surround question

JasonJCarney

Ok so I have the rf7ii front stage. I'm using rb51ii or rb41ii's as side surrounds. The real question is what to use as rear surrounds. My couch is up against my rear wall. I have a cabinet right behind my seating position. This cabinet is where the 6th/7th channel(s) is/are going. Choice 1 is 2 rb51ii's/41ii's. Choice 2 is 1 or 2 rs41ii 's. Choice 3 is a single rs42 or rs52. Choice 4 is an rc42. Not saying price doesn't matter but more important is how the speaker(s) will sound based on it basically being directly behind my head (like 1-2 feet away Max). Any other ideas are welcome. Size is an issue, that's why I chose these smaller cabinet speakers.

If you stick with the bookshelves or center, they should be able to mount inside your cabinet with the front being flush with the wall. For an RS-42, the back would need to be flush on the wall, so the dipole dispersion could act properly. If it were tucked inside the cabinet...it wouldn't do what it is designed to do.

I would go RS as your sides even if you have to put one on a

stand or in an awkward spot. In a small room to me it’s a no brainer. It will

make your room sound bigger and give a more open sound. 1-2’ ft. just seems a

little close for even a small speaker. I would look at trying to go up and

pointing down for the rear speaker.

If you stick with the bookshelves or center, they should be able to mount inside your cabinet with the front being flush with the wall. For an RS-42, the back would need to be flush on the wall, so the dipole dispersion could act properly. If it were tucked inside the cabinet...it wouldn't do what it is designed to do.

I had the rs-52 on stands and they sounded awesome imo. I never read that they needed to be against
the wall (not saying they don’t just asking). Where did you hear that?

I had the rs-52 on stands and they sounded awesome imo. I never read that they needed to be against

the wall (not saying they dont just asking). Where did you hear that?

I have my RS3s on stands right now and I didn't get near the satisfaction with them pulled away from the wall in open air, compared to them still on a stand, but pressed up against the wall. The reflections filled the room so much better when they were close to flush with the wall.

Have you tried both ways?

It wasn't anything I had heard said, seemed the design of the speakers used the walls as part of it's design. If it's tucked in the cabinet, the speakers projection would hit the sides of the cabinet instead of fill the room.

the wall (not saying they don’t just asking). Where did you hear that?

I have my RS3s on stands right now and I didn't get near the satisfaction with them pulled away from the wall in open air, compared to them still on a stand, but pressed up against the wall. The reflections filled the room so much better when they were close to flush with the wall.

Have you tried both ways?

It wasn't anything I had heard said, seemed the design of the speakers used the walls as part of it's design. If it's tucked in the cabinet, the speakers projection would hit the sides of the cabinet instead of fill the room.

I had them on the walls and on stands. In my last place I had

them on the side walls then flipped the whole set up to get the system off the

connecting wall of my apartment. One side

opened up to the kitchen so I couldn’t hang it. So I put them on stands. The

speakers were still able to bounce off walls and sounded great, and imo I didn’t

lose anything but they did still have walls to bounce off so if yours are set

up where they can’t then that would probably not be as good. When I moved into

my house I put them on the walls again then upgraded to the 62s but I still

feel the 52 sounded amazing on stands. As long as there are walls close enough to

the drivers. Which in Jason’s room I believe

there is. But if you put them on stands

behind your couch with no walls nearby that probably not be that great.

• Moderators

This is going to sound nuts but I have heard it and it works well.

On the floor behind the couch pointing up, it really gives you a sound that is not directly in your ear and really spread out. For rears it works well because the sound is dispersed and not at all directional, just what you want for effects sounds behind you. That was kind of the idea behind WDST, to make it not a pinpoint sound.

On the floor behind the couch pointing up, it really gives you a sound that is not directly in your ear and really spread out. For rears it works well because the sound is dispersed and not at all directional, just what you want for effects sounds behind you. That was kind of the idea behind WDST, to make it not a pinpoint sound.

The cool think I've noticed about WDST is that the sound is exactly where it should be for the movie (whether that be left, back left, or rear) but I never pinpoint. The effects sound just as they should but I never jerk my head around and look at the speaker (like I might do with my 5.1 bookshelf system).

The cool think I've noticed about WDST is that the sound is exactly where it should be for the movie (whether that be left, back left, or rear) but I never pinpoint. The effects sound just as they should but I never jerk my head around and look at the speaker (like I might do with my 5.1 bookshelf system).

I agree it’s a much more surrounding sound

then the RB would be. Some people like the direct speaker design in the back

though so it’s all taste.

I'll get a pic up of the two positions to better illustrate.

Jason, would the RS-52/42 go inside the cabinet or on the wall?

pics:

IMG_6699.jpg

the speaker(s) will go on the bottom shelf. I can adjust height so that's not an issue. This is directly behind my main listening position.

IMG_6696.jpg

IMG_6700.jpg

This picture is older but you can see the odd position I would have for mounting an RS line speaker on this side.

1311571098.jpg

I would just pop one or two RB's behind you. You can avoid the in-wall speaker AND still have that flush mount look/sound. I'm surprised people still recommend RS's in that space. I've heard his setup as presently constituted and I don't believe for a second that RS's would sound better in there compared to comparably sized RB's.

• Moderators

Well as I have found through trial and error.... the best part of having a small room is you can get away with smaller subs and less power and it will still sound good.... = less$$$

You have much more power than I do thats for sure, after looking at those pic's again, do you really need the rears or do you just want to try it. It does not look like it needs them.