Will McIntosh mc2255 and c33 work well with k-horns

SonicSeeker

I would love to have experience with them. By looking at the specs, the mc2255 is way more powerful at 250 watts than the KHorn can run RMS. From what I have heard in discussions around this forum, less is more with heritage Klipsch speakers. Some people run them with 15 watt amps. I may be off base here, but my gut tells me you are overpowering the Khorns with that setup.

I apologize if I am speaking out of turn, as I don't have Khorns or McIntosh amps.

I haven't heard the 2255 but used a MC2100 and C33 with Khorns a while back with pretty good results - plenty of bass and that laid back, even keel sound that is common with Mac gear. There was a time (60's-80's) when a Klipschorn/McIntosh setup was considered a perfect mating and of course, some folks still do. I wouldn't consider it the best bang for your buck but you wont know til you hear it yourself and if you buy used, the gear wont lose much value should you decide to move on. BTW, if you ever find yourself without an amp, the C33 has a 20 watt amp in it that will get you by. Have fun

...BTW, if you ever find yourself without an amp, the C33 has a 20 watt amp in it that will get you by...

You raise a good point. It takes 10db to double the perceived loudness, and it would take about 125 watts to be twice as loud as 20 watts, and that is more than the RMS of the khorn. In other words, mathmatically, with effort the 20 watt amp would crank a khorn to about 60% or its max db. Most people listen at levels far below that.

Also; by the numbers, the mc2100 would be a perfect match at 105wpc.

Macs will do them just fine.

One reason you want considerable power is for the momentary peaks that are usually way above the RMS rating output of the amp and the continous max power that the speakers will handle. It's called "headroom". The more the better (to a point of course...).

I've been saving my pennies for two years now, and just bought a C42 (needed the multiple pre-outs for the subs); but the primary pre-out is going to go to a MC352 as soon as I examine my finances....., and to the Klipschorns in the "Wall of Voodoo". Now they are run with a MA6500, which does a very good job. But that MC352 is another whole order of magnitude in quality and capability.

Besides... it's got huge blue meters...... [:D]

[H]

This will run the lines of personal preference but when I ran my C33 with a pair of KLF-20's (100db/1w/1m) I noticed a faint hiss coming from the midranges. Turned out to be coming from the variable loudness control. If the loudness control was turned either all the way up or alltheway down it wasn't too much of a problem.