Cornwall center

WHayton

To accompany

my Cornwalls I had a Heresy as a center but always wondered if I was missing

anything (other than a few screws). Since I have a pair of Choruses as

surrounds it seemed logical that another Cornwall in the center was the only answer.

Almost a year on CraigsList and I found my project Cornwalls locally and began sacrificing

one of them. The motor board came out with just a few taps and I used it as a

template for routing the new openings in a piece of 19mm ply. The layout is

tight but they all fit vertically and I simply split the port on each side of

the main. Experience so far has not been disappointing J

post-26733-13819662362888_thumb.jpg

I took the easy way out. I turned one on its side and hooked it up. I walked around in front of it. Did not notice any problems with the sound. I suspect if you have a wide room you might want to turn the horns horizontal. I have never seen one but the original design had the horns in the verticle configuration (Verticle Cornwall). The way my room is arranged, I'm almost sitting directly in front of it anyway. I ran this question past Bob Crites and he did not think the horns would need to be turned either. All that said- I like your design.

• 3 weeks later...

Your center is great!

I Would love to re-create the Heresy box to be more of a center channel with a pair of 8" drivers while retaining the crossover and horns.

I have seen some close ones but they either use 2 of the 12" woofer or the wrong horns, no one seems to have made a short and long variant with only a woofer subsitution. I don't see why Klipsch has not offered a true Heritage center other than the discontinued Academy that lacks the looks and 2 horns.

I may well build one this winter.

YEAH BABY[H]

This is where I am going with my Cornwall HT. Currently perusing the 55" to 60" HDTV selections in search of a proper choice. I have a pair of 1968 Cornwall II with vertical horns, which will allow me to "lowboy" one as front center and double as TV stand.

I have no plan to do the reconstruct as has been done here, but if sonics require I do so I will hunt another CII down for the purpose.

I experimented with a 2 inch block under the front edge since I typically sit only 8 feet from the center and I’m sure I could hear a difference so I would imagine the vertical mid and high are that way on the vertical Cornwalls for a good reason. At 10 feet however I can hear no difference in the clarity of the mid frequencies and surprisingly I get a significant increase in bass volume. I would estimate 15% to 20% for bass drum volume in the room which is 11 ft wide and 8 ft high.

a smarter man the I once told me to not put my SS amp on top of a pulsing source, so I moved it.

I am in the process of engineering some solutions to deal with this.

I am considering the use of a piece of memory foam beneath the lowboyed Cornwall, then a similar piece that will reside atop the Cornwall - then another "firmer layer" to set the TV on. I think I can curtail the vibrations in this way......if not I will fashion a three sided stand or table to sit over the Cornwall as a long term solution.

I think that I will be seated far enough away for the lowboyed Cornwall to be effective. At least the horns will be horizontal and should present themselves well at 10-11 feet out.

a smarter man the I once told me to not put my SS amp on top of a pulsing source, so I moved it.

I am in the process of engineering some solutions to deal with this.

I am considering the use of a piece of memory foam beneath the lowboyed Cornwall, then a similar piece that will reside atop the Cornwall - then another "firmer layer" to set the TV on. I think I can curtail the vibrations in this way......if not I will fashion a three sided stand or table to sit over the Cornwall as a long term solution.

I think that I will be seated far enough away for the lowboyed Cornwall to be effective. At least the horns will be horizontal and should present themselves well at 10-11 feet out.

I would love to know the technical reason for this concern with SS equipment. Tube gear I understand completely since I saw a colleague get a signal on an old Tektronix scope with just his voice 40 years ago. On the other hand my Yammy 2700 has been on top of the Cornwall for the past 4 years and its predecessor on and off for 20 years before that.
Will