Star wars saga on blu ray.

Heritage_Head

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some
people aren’t happy with a few changes

Heh that's an understatement. I personally will not buy any Star Wars blu ray/dvd that doesn't include the original theatrical release.

A copyright is held in trust by its owner until it ultimately reverts to public domain. American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history.

People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society. The preservation of our cultural heritage may not seem to be as politically sensitive an issue as "when life begins" or "when it should be appropriately terminated," but it is important because it goes to the heart of what sets mankind apart. Creative expression is at the core of our humanness. Art is a distinctly human endeavor. We must have respect for it if we are to have any respect for the human race.

These current defacements are just the beginning. Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tommorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with "fresher faces," or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor's lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new "original" negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires. The copyright holders, so far, have not been completely diligent in preserving the original negatives of films they control. In order to reconstruct old negatives, many archivists have had to go to Eastern bloc countries where American films have been better preserved.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten."

"The public's interest is ultimately dominant over all other interests. And the proof of that is that even a copyright law only permits the creators and their estate a limited amount of time to enjoy the economic fruits of that work.

George Lucas, 1988

The reviews at Amazon.com are some of the worst I have seen for anything. 2 out of 5 stars by over 1200 reviewers. I read a few and they are all mad about the details that were changed, or weren't changed, etc. I am very interested in the soundtrack. Heck, that is why I hang out here in the first place. I am a Star Wars fan and a complete Star Trek nut, so I would drop $80 in a minute on it.

What cannot happen, and it really makes me mad is a blu-ray release of STTNG. Another thing I don't understand is what the hell happened to Andromeda the series. That ship had enough warheads to blow up a couple hundred stars. I was bummed when it started getting stupid. What a waste.

I guess I'm missing the problem?

Lucas is (unfortunately) free to destroy his works as he sees fit. If he created a "Super Special Edition" Blu Ray which replaced Darth Vader with Mrs. Piggy, there would be nothing I could do to stop him. However, I'm under no obligation to accept the butchered editions of his original masterpieces. I'll take the real McCoy over Lucas' fiddling 30+ years later in some foolish attempt to improve on some of the most popular films of all time. Somehow, I think the George Lucas that gave the above speech to Congress over 20 years ago might agree with me.

I guess I'm missing the problem?

Lucas is (unfortunately) free to destroy his works as he sees fit. If he created a "Super Special Edition" Blu Ray which replaced Darth Vader with Mrs. Piggy, there would be nothing I could do to stop him. However, I'm under no obligation to accept the butchered editions of his original masterpieces. I'll take the real McCoy over Lucas' fiddling 30+ years later in some foolish attempt to improve on some of the most popular films of all time. Somehow, I think the George Lucas that gave the above speech to Congress over 20 years ago might agree with me.

Only one thing holds true, even after 20 years, Nothing stays the same. God that hits home more and more everyday. Heck just look what has happened to G.M.!! Bankruptcy??? If you would of told anyone that G.M. would be bankrupt 20-30 years ago, no one would believe you!

Now on the "changes" Lucas did. Well it sucks but maybe 20yrs later he see's fit to change something. I think he should of had like an altered version, instead of changing history, but who am I[8-)]

I know if I could change how I said something or what I did 20 years ago today, wow I would. This reminds me of watching a movie you loved as a kid. Watching it now, makes you wonder how you liked this dumb/corny movie!

I know some

people aren’t happy with a few changes

Heh that's an understatement. I personally will not buy any Star Wars blu ray/dvd that doesn't include the original theatrical release.

A copyright is held in trust by its owner until it ultimately reverts to public domain. American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history.

People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society. The preservation of our cultural heritage may not seem to be as politically sensitive an issue as "when life begins" or "when it should be appropriately terminated," but it is important because it goes to the heart of what sets mankind apart. Creative expression is at the core of our humanness. Art is a distinctly human endeavor. We must have respect for it if we are to have any respect for the human race.

These current defacements are just the beginning. Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tommorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with "fresher faces," or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor's lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new "original" negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires. The copyright holders, so far, have not been completely diligent in preserving the original negatives of films they control. In order to reconstruct old negatives, many archivists have had to go to Eastern bloc countries where American films have been better preserved.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten."

"The public's interest is ultimately dominant over all other interests. And the proof of that is that even a copyright law only permits the creators and their estate a limited amount of time to enjoy the economic fruits of that work.

George Lucas, 1988

All I can say is YOUR LOSS! Just finished watching episode 1 and 2 and all

I can say is wow. They could be the best audio tracks I have ever heard (they

are really that good!). You can take the stuff he does personal but you’re only

hurting yourself (the guy has billions of dollars so going on star wars strike

means very little to him). It’s funny because people want the new hd video and

want the new hd multi-channel audio that wasn’t in the original theatrical releases

and have np with him changing that part. But when he changes something they don’t

like all of a sudden lucas ruined the movies. I have seen the original

theatrical release movies in the theater and I can only shake my head at how

they looked and sound compared to these. What we have now with these blu rays

is a million times better. I couldn’t be happier with the job they did. People change their opinions all the time. I’m

sure we are all guilty of it in our lives.

Can you imagine if you were held to every opinion you ever

had? [:o]

The reviews at Amazon.com are some of the worst I have seen for anything. 2 out of 5 stars by over 1200 reviewers. I read a few and they are all mad about the details that were changed, or weren't changed, etc. I am very interested in the soundtrack. Heck, that is why I hang out here in the first place. I am a Star Wars fan and a complete Star Trek nut, so I would drop $80 in a minute on it.

What cannot happen, and it really makes me mad is a blu-ray release of STTNG. Another thing I don't understand is what the hell happened to Andromeda the series. That ship had enough warheads to blow up a couple hundred stars. I was bummed when it started getting stupid. What a waste.

99% of the reviews are from before the movies even came out

(look at the dates). Everyone one was freaking out about a few changes made. My

guess is of the 1200 bad reviews 1199 of them will buy them and love them. [:D]

...in some foolish attempt to improve on some of the most popular films of all time.

I've thought this a lot. The guy frustrates me.

Movies fall into history for better or worse. You never know how a movie will last over the decades and I like that. He won't let the first three age (don't care much for the prequels). And one of the reasons he gives for redoing them is because the "technology is finally here". Well, he's gotta redo them again in 3-D then, right? No end.

I checked half a dozen or so of the one star rants, and guess what, in all that I checked they had only made the ONE review, or in one case two reviews with the second one also a one star bash.

I really doubt all or even many of the bad reviews bought the new version of the movie, let alone watched all of it.

I'm not buying it, in a year or so the 3D version should be out, then the howling can really begin.

I'm not buying it, in a year or so the 3D version should be out, then the howling can really begin.

Another subject for sure but I honestly don't think "3D" has the traction to stay around. My family has rejected 3D for our next tv. We are just not gonna sit around with special glasses on.

Another subject for sure but I honestly don't think "3D" has the traction to stay around. My family has rejected 3D for our next tv. We are just not gonna sit around with special glasses on.

you likely wont have to buy into 3d it will probably end up being a feature with every tv set shortly and im right with you on not purchasing a 3d tv

im not sure why many would rant with the star wars bluray? its being edited and enhanced with qualities that were not in the movies previous, ill go one further and make the biggest star wars sin by saying i wish they redid the entire first 3 movies over with new cast to give it a real update rather than continually re-releasing them as a cash crop (i enjoy star wars but the first 3 are somewhat painful to watch by todays standards as with many "classics")