Star wars saga on blu ray.

Heritage_Head

im not sure why many would rant with the star wars bluray? its
being edited and enhanced with qualities that were not in the movies
previous

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_shot_first

By all means, improve the quality... just don't change the story. Or if you do change the story, at least offer viewers the choice of which version they'd like, the original or the butchered [:P]

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They could be the best audio tracks I have ever heard (they
are really that good!).

What can I say, I'm the type that will pick Casablanca on VHS over Avatar on Blu Ray. For me it's about the story, and the minute Lucas started fiddling with the story line with BS like Greedo shooting first, I was done with his "special editions".

They could be the best audio tracks I have ever heard (they

are really that good!).

What can I say, I'm the type that will pick Casablanca on VHS over Avatar on Blu Ray. For me it's about the story, and the minute Lucas started fiddling with the story line with BS like Greedo shooting first, I was done with his "special editions".

What? You mean Han Solo really is a pirate and a scoundrel?

I'm not buying it, in a year or so the 3D version should be out, then the howling can really begin.

Another subject for sure but I honestly don't think "3D" has the traction to stay around. My family has rejected 3D for our next tv. We are just not gonna sit around with special glasses on.

you likely wont have to buy into 3d it will probably end up being a feature with every tv set shortly and im right with you on not purchasing a 3d tv

im not sure why many would rant with the star wars bluray? its being edited and enhanced with qualities that were not in the movies previous, ill go one further and make the biggest star wars sin by saying i wish they redid the entire first 3 movies over with new cast to give it a real update rather than continually re-releasing them as a cash crop (i enjoy star wars but the first 3 are somewhat painful to watch by todays standards as with many "classics")

I like all the movies. The first 3 are amazing stories with

epic struggle and power. And the last 3 are amazing effects and audio tracks

that really make you smile though the whole movie (fun). It’s funny you say

that about remaking the first 3. I have said that many times over the years. Someday

I hope they do remake them. They could

do so much to the first one to make it so much better. I can see why lucas

changes stuff he has said he isn’t happy with them yet. It was an 11 million

dollar movie. Even in today’s money that is a super cheap movie. I’m the same

way with music. If the audio sound isn’t really good I don’t like it. To me the

sound is just as important as the music itself. (Probably why I love pink Floyd

so much but can’t stand the rolling stones)

Bought the last set of 6 in town for $88.00 today. Pretty pumped to watch them! They are 2.35:1 but only DTS 6.1. Where's the 7.1? Oh well. Should keep the fam and I pretty busy with those and the three bonus disks.

One word on the sound. AMAZING!

Slightly disagree. I have the original trilogy, not the entire Saga. One thing that was obvious to me is that people need to pump the breaks on audio expectations. These films were still made 30 years ago and the sound effects reminds you of that. I have NEVER found my Klipsch gear fatigueing in any way, but after watching the first two films I had a headache. The music, which sounds good, is so brassy that coupled with the very brassy/shrill blaster sound effects it really does a number on your ears.

Make no mistake, IMO these films do NOT sound like any of the newer audio showcase blu rays out there. They may blow away the Star Wars DVD's, they may make your favorite movies of all time sound great because you want them too, but I honestly was let down a little bit by the sound. I know it's all because of the source material, but just keep that in mind when purchasing...IMO they don't sound fantastic, they sound fantastic for their age!

Bought the last set of 6 in town for $88.00 today. Pretty pumped to watch them! They are 2.35:1 but only DTS 6.1. Where's the 7.1? Oh well. Should keep the fam and I pretty busy with those and the three bonus disks.

Slightly disagree. I have the original trilogy, not the entire Saga. One thing that was obvious to me is that people need to pump the breaks on audio expectations. These films were still made 30 years ago and the sound effects reminds you of that. I have NEVER found my Klipsch gear fatigueing in any way, but after watching the first two films I had a headache. The music, which sounds good, is so brassy that coupled with the very brassy/shrill blaster sound effects it really does a number on your ears.

Make no mistake, IMO these films do NOT sound like any of the newer audio showcase blu rays out there. They may blow away the Star Wars DVD's, they may make your favorite movies of all time sound great because you want them too, but I honestly was let down a little bit by the sound. I know it's all because of the source material, but just keep that in mind when purchasing...IMO they don't sound fantastic, they sound fantastic for their age!

The old movies have ok sound. I was referring to episodes

1,2, and 3 the sound is amazing. (Sorry if I wasn’t clear in my other posts)

lol... pump the brakes...lol

Ratings are done with a 5 point

system. 5 are perfect and 1 would be the worst. 3 is ok 4 is good and 5 of

course is reference level.

Just finished watching all the

movies and would like to give a small review. Before I give my review I want to

be clear that I like all the movies and don’t mind any of the changes that he

has made so the review is about the blu rays and nothing more.

I will refer to the movies with

the #s 1-6 as in episodes 1-6.

The first two movies (1 and 2)

look very good. I don’t personally like film grain so for me these movies

looked amazing. Keep in mind I watch my TV on vivid picture mode so even the

softer parts look very clean, bright, and full of color and detail. If I

watched movies on theater mode like I know a lot of people do then I could see

how they might be too soft but in vivid I give both movies an easy 4.5-5 for

picture.

The 3rd (ROTS) movie is an easy 5

for picture and some parts are as good as avatar. What a fun movie to watch.

For audio these 3 movies are

simply some of the best multi-channel audio on the planet. Just giving them a 5

for sound isn’t enough. I have a lot of great audio blu rays but the work they

did on these is another level of detail wow nice job.

Movie 4 (new hope) is the only

movie that didn’t wow me. The sound was ok but on the really loud parts it

falls apart and even distorted on some stuff. It also had a really brassy sound

that was a huge drop from the clean sounding audio from movies 1, 2 and 3. I

would give it a 3 for audio and a 4 for picture.

Movies 5 and 6 look amazing. It

was like I was watching these movies for the first time (even though I have

these movies over 10 times each). They look so good that it was hard for me to

pay attrition sometimes because I was looking all around at the back grounds

and details. I give these a 4.5 and in some places a perfect 5 for picture.

The audio for 5 and 6 was a great

improvement from movie 4 new hope. Still not the reference levels of the 1, 2

and 3 but better than they have ever sounded and are both a strong 4 for audio.

If just comparing these movies to

other old movies they would rank higher but I’d rather just rate them vs

everything.

Overall I’m actually shocked how

good they did on these. I do recommend for people that watch movies in a

theater type mode for their TV picture to try a vivid or dynamic mode. These

movies have no grain so going vivid or dynamic is really a nice mode for these.

Pre T TPM P/A /4.5/5

AOTC 4.5/5

ROTS 5/5

Original ANH 4/3

ESB 4.5/4

ROTJ 4.5/4

The only one I've watched so far is "A New Hope." The picture quality was a gigantic upgrade over the original DVD. I have that those 3 as well. Also, the sound was much better, however, I was glad that you mentioned the distortion. I also had that about three times during the movie and was a little worried. I think I would knock ANH down a half a peg versus current movie offerings and say it's a 3.5 and a 2. There were parts of the movie that sounded great, but several scenes fell apart or left me wanting. Excited to watch the remainders over the next several weeks.

watch in vivid mode??? You need a ISF cali and once your TV has been calibrated to look its best you'll never go back to vivid

I dumb the vivid down a little by
scaling back a lot of the settings from standard vivid to get a custom vivid mode.
But it’s a good starting point for me. I’m not a huge fan of what a calibrated TV
would be. Theater modes on TVs look terrible
to me. Even the perfectly calibrated ones. The down side of vivid though is
that if the source is crap it magnifies the crap. I have noticed that films
with no grain usually look awesome in vivid. Something to try [:D]

The question is... Do you watch 1-6? or 3-6 and then 1-3 ?

I watched them 1-6 but I can see how the other way would be

good. Being that they get better and better sound and audio wise if you go 4-6

then 1-3 it might be a better way. The old movies audio doesn’t hold a candle

to the newer ones. So if you go 1-6 when you get to movie 4 it will be a huge

drop in quality and dare I say be a letdown. So if I did it all over I would

have started with 4.