La Scala bass (by the numbers...) [video]

Quiet_Hollow

*EDIT* See two posts down for the recently uploaded YT video.

Youtube rejected the video I made of my home system EQ'd because it had the Eagles playing on it. However, I shot this video clip of a pair of Belles with a quick EQ job applied to <100 Hz region. Sounded fairly pleasing to all the people in the store that day, even though space was tightly cramped and the mids got absolutely murdered through the microphone. Nothing goofy, just a little touch brought out the bass guitar's lower notes and the kick drum a bit.

here's that actual songs through Youtube to compare to as well,

Also, I don't think you QH can discuss this topic accurately until you've updated your original crossovers. Because your speakers are "most likely" out of spec. and not reproducing the sound(s) PWK designed them to reproduce.

The AL-3 network in my speakers don't have oil-filled caps. Beyond corrosion, which they also don't have, there's nothing in the network that would cause the bass to degrade enough to be problematic, even with significant age.

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Alright, finally got YouTube sorted out! My apologies for the delay, but now anyone with headphones can check out what I was referring to without having to download the big file:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3BvwaE5d8

FYI - The mic on my camera distorts at just over 85 dB SPL, so when you hear it crapping-out at the very end of the video you can associate a number with that level. Even with the EQ boost, we're talking milliwatts here.

What brand equalizer would be most recommended for low noise and affordability. What is the difference between parametric eq and graphic?

thanks

Should open up another thread for just that question. Be certain to mention what you're source signal is. [H]

Check out the shop I listed in Rockford that sells refirb equipment. See what the inventory is, then do some research on the old Yamaha and Sansui EQs they have on hand. This is a question with a $100 answer. If in the end you don't want the EQ you can dump it on e-bay for what you paid for it.

I put a Pioneer GR777 between my DAC-Pre-amp and my amp which is driving my Heresy's in the bedroom (my test lab stereo). The base boost was both noticable and pleasing.

In the next few weeks, I will be re-connecting my Mac Stack C32 and 2205 to my La Scalas. Part of the trial process will be DAC direct C-32 EQ on and off. Then Mac EQ defeat with external Yamaha and Pioneer EQs between the DAC and the C-32. I will try the stand alone DAC and using my Pioneer Elite as the DAC comparisson too.

Just for fun, once I have settled on the analog HW, I will run the same music with the LaScalas stand alone and with my new RW12D sub for comparission. My expectation is that the RW will sound a little more accurate on the Bass string plucks. Just a guess.

Then the question of upgrading the LaScala woofers to alnico, or other drivers, will really matter for bass pluck test accuracy?

Alison Krause live louisville concert DVD is a good acustic test for any stereo, its easy to isolate on one instrument or voice.

I'm personally against EQ especially to boost low bass. Not only do you insert another component in your chain, thus degrading (even so slightly) transparency and phase coherency, but you also put more stress on the amps, and more stress on the speakers. I mean, if the LaScala would be designed to be able to reproduce sub bass, we would know about it. I'm not advising anyone to cut through his bass bins and port them or whatever - at least you should do it reversible - but IMHO a good sub is the way to go...

I'm sure EQ bass boost works to some extends. But what are the trade-offs, compared to the trade offs (if any???) of a good subwoofer?

I'm personally against EQ especially to boost low bass. Not only do you insert another component in your chain, thus degrading (even so slightly) transparency and phase coherency, but you also put more stress on the amps, and more stress on the speakers. I mean, if the LaScala would be designed to be able to reproduce sub bass, we would know about it. I'm not advising anyone to cut through his bass bins and port them or whatever - at least you should do it reversible - but IMHO a good sub is the way to go...

I'm sure EQ bass boost works to some extends. But what are the trade-offs, compared to the trade offs (if any???) of a good subwoofer?

If the LaScalas can't reproduce it, they won't.

If you overdrive them, you will damage them just like before the EQ.

I did a blind test when I purchased my Heresy's, with the bass turned up they approached the K=Horns. So I purchased them.

Later the issue came down to portability and corners; so I purchased the LaScalas, which can hardly be said to be lacking bass.

Now I have 1 RS12d sub and will probably purchase a second one, they are very plucky and make me bounc up and down with the Transformers are in my TV room, I may even get a couple of shakers so I can really stress the wire nails holding the house up.

YMMV

• 1 year later...

I had LaScalas. They do lack bass. As does any speaker that rolls off below 50-Hz.

LaScalas start to lose bass in the 100 Hz. Range. the horn length is less than 3 feet, so at 1/4 wave it's about 100 Hz. rolloff. But the oversize "sealed doghouse" has a resonance that attempt to extend the bass below where the horn part has already unloaded. Sub required.

For music Las are just fine on bass, I'm happy with their performance. Even with this short iPhone clip you can tell they convey decent bass. Maybe their shortfall is being driven with 10 Jolida watts as opposed to a pair of Bob Carver 305WPC amps. I always feel like people just want to beat on the Las because they sound so good, I accept Colin's answer but no one else's :P

For music Las are just fine on bass, I'm happy with their performance. Even with this short iPhone clip you can tell they convey decent bass. Maybe their shortfall is being driven with 10 Jolida watts as opposed to a pair of Bob Carver 305WPC amps. I always feel like people just want to beat on the Las because they sound so good, I accept Colin's answer but no one else's :P

A lot depends on placement in the room. In a corner, or pretty near at least one wall, they should be fine for the attack of drums, including bass drum, timpani, etc. I've heard them sound great, and very clean when placed in a corner with absorbing material to each side where the mid and tweeter bounce would occur. I've heard them sound pitiful on a stand, with nothing nearby, at a concert. The attack range would be "mid bass," according to one popular frequency chart, I've seen, i.e., between 80 Hz and 160 Hz. The La Scalas do well in that zone. I have a Belle for a center channel; it's supposed to be very similar to La Scala. My Belle is flush mounted in the wall (between two Klipschorns); this increases the bass response. It has great attack and a small peak at 60 Hz, and is O.K. to about 40 Hz. It's not a Klipschorn, but shares some of the latter's clean response.

Edited by Garyrc

My computer speakers probably roll off around 100Hz. Nothing sounds good on them!
Say what? The Sultan of Sub has'th not?

Seriously Carl, you've got a sub in every corner of your house but nothing on the computer? I find that very hard to believe. :lol:

To experience the content in any of my posted videos, the observer will need equipment (speakers or headphones) that can resolve down to at least 30 Hz....otherwise it will sound "just like computer speakers".