Yamaha RX-V1600 Receiver, 7.1 - 120wpc DEAD???

coconutjoe

Hello everyone,

I got some questions regarding Yamaha RX-V1600 Receiver, 7.1 - 120WPC.

I just bought this used, but mint condition, Yamaha receiver from Craigslist in Los Angeles. It had the box, both remotes, and the manual.

Anyway, I hook it up to two sets of my speakers for A & B.

A - Tannoy System 800
B - Klipsch KG 2.5

I was checking the differences of two speakers.

The volume level indicator for the RX-V1600 goes from -xxdB to 0dB. I was listening at a level of -20 to -25dB for few days, checking different PROGRAM Options of the receiver.

This morning before leaving to work, I had both of my speakers blasting some classic rock at -11dB for about 20 minutes and suddenly the receiver shut it self up. (Front panel went dark).

It has the Master ON/OFF switch, and the Main Zone relay switch. I pressed the Master ON & OFF, then Main Zone switch - nothing.. only the relay clicking.

I unplugged the power, turn the master ON. Pressed the zone, but nothing. The manual's troubleshoot only gives general protection description. I waited few hours and tried again, but IT IS DEAD !!!!!

MY QUESTIONS ARE ~~~

1. Did I overload the amp? by having both A+B speakers at -11dB?
2. The volume level -11 dB was loud, not not room shaking loud. Is this normal?
3. Is my receiver defective?

Also, don't this thing have OVERLOAD PROTECTION???

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• Moderators

For question 1 it could have been to much running both. #2 -11 is worse with A&B running, I would think. Defective ?

The Tannoy speakers are very inefficient and use alot of power, Tannoy 800 = Sensitivity: 86dB @ 2.83V/1 meter

You should have heard a big difference in volume between the two brands you were trying, and not a good idea to play them together at high volume. You could blow out the more effecient speaker quicker than the inefficient pair.

It should have overload protection, usually after a cool down they would work again.

I would unplug it and look for any blown fuses, on the back and inside. Just because it says 120 WPC don't believe it, many receivers rate them to get the best looking numbers, like at one frequencies or one or two channels driven.

I did heard the difference in volume.

I always favored Tannoys for reproduction of vocals. But after hearing KG 2.5, which I was going to use as surrounds to my Klipsch KSP-400 (as soon as I get this darn amps fixed. They HUM !!) I was surprised at how clear and efficient KG 2.5 speakers are... Maybe I'll try to find KG 5.5 to match 2.5.

I also have Klipsch CHR WO speakers driven by Yamaha M70, which sound great.

Anyway, as soon as my technician fixes the amps, I'll post what was exactly wrong and which parts were changed to fix them. I saw some thread about KSP400/300 humming in this forum, but did not find good explanation. (so far, my tech thinks that it might be main caps, 6800uF, 80V, which are becoming very inefficient) I have super duper amplifier connoisour/technician who works with me....[8-|]

• 1 month later...

I have a Yamaha RX-V665 and I pushed it a little to hard one day and the avr clipped and shut down.However unlike your amp mine did power back up rite after turning it on again.Since this is a used unit and you have no good source of provinence you just might be out of luck here.The actual setting that my amp clipped was -9-10ish and was pretty hot also.Yamaha techs do claim that this is a protection circuit and is supposed to function like it did.

Many people mistakenly feel that a receiver that has two main speaker outputs is designed to run two sets of speakers at the same time. It is true, they can and will run two sets of speakers at the same time, but not for long periods of time at loud volumes.