Old KH to be updated

I have a pair of KH with W and M with ceramic magnet, TW in Alnico, xover AL. The speaker has a too soft character, a littlr closed in the upper mids and highs.

I am interested in ugrading the xover (I have schematics of AK-2 and AK-3) but I am also interested in ALK crossover (may I receive the schematic?). Other suggestions to ameliorate the performance in the mids and highs are well accepted.

Alessandro

The Type AL xover is probably most of your problem. It is overly complex, unusually designed and does strange things to the response of the individual drivers. It over controls the system. My rear La Scalas had Type ALs and I though they were squawky, ill-defined in the lower mids and had a screech at high levels. I put ALK xovers in them and almost all of that went away. Damping the horns cured the rest. They are smooth and unaccented, now. The Type AA xover with high quality components is a good sounding xover, but it will have to be adjusted a little for your K-55-M squawker. My front La Scalas have modified Type AAs. Other than the Type ALK, I like the Type AA and Type AK-3, best.

The AlNiCo tweeter IS a little weak in the upper treble and might also be contributing. The newer K-77-M tweeter is smoother and has more output in the upper frequencies.

John

I'm not sure. I track the La Scala series and pick up bits about the others. I thought I had an AL-2 schematic, but can't find it. The AK-3 is in 2 parts, which helps bi-wire/bi-amping. I'm unaware of other differences.

John

quote:

Originally posted by johns02:

John,

What was the difference between AK-2 and AK-3?

John,

there are two differences.

1. The value of the capacitor is 100uF (instead of 140uF) and is obtained by paralleling 2 x 50uF.

2. The inductor in parallel with the squawker has been increased from 4 to 5 mH.

Both xover have separate network for the bass unit, fixed inside the bass cabinet.