Need advice on new receiver for my Klipsch surround system

Lpusedyou

Hey guys I am buying a new receiver within the next two weeks or so and I'd like any opinions on the following options. I want to go the used route so I searched my local Phoenix, AZ craigslist and the Orange County/LA, CA craigslist as well (because I'll be travelling there anyways in the next two weeks). I found the following two deals: a Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH for $500 OR a MARANTZ SR6005 for $479.

My basic criteria for a new receiver is as follows: $500 or less, pre outs for all channels (so I can use a separate amp down the road), 110 wpc or more, at least 4 HDMI inputs, 7.1, and support for current home theater audio formats.

The clist and amazon links for each are here:

Pioneer - http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ele/2618511205.html - http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Elite-VSX-94TXH-receiver-channel/dp/B000WY0HUW

Marantz - http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/2607679371.html - http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR6005-Audio-Video-Receiver/dp/B003R7KMRE

Upon first look I would say the Pioneer since it has 140 wpc and the Marantz is 110 wpc. They both have pre outs and the Marantz has even more HDMI ports than I need so that's nice to have for growth. However, it does not have a remote. I currently use a Logitech Harmony 880 so that shouldn't be a problem but it's still nice to have the actual devices' remote sometimes. I know a lot of people that swear by Marantz but I know the Pioneer Elite line is great too. Any advice would be great. I am really only interested in these two at this time but if you're feeling extra helpful for some reason you're more than welcome to find something you feel is better than both. My Klipsch system is in my sig (with an RC-7 soon to come hopefully) so check it out if needed.

Thanks in advance!

I might as well post the amps I'm thinking about as well if anyone would like to know.

Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080, $360 - http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/2604365584.html

Adcom GFA-7000, $340 - http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/2617285366.html

Emotiva XPA-5, $650 - http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ele/2616881231.html (a large jump in price I know but if you all feel like it is $300 worth better than the other two I may have to consider it...)

Thanks again.

Since you are looking at amps, have you considered looking at pre-amps now? Between the Pioneer Elite and the Marantz, I kinda like the Marantz. They seem to be a bit more forthcoming with specifications than Pioneer Elite.

Also, if an amp is on the horizon, why the big concern with watts per channel? The difference in 140 and 110 watts is nominal in terms of loudness. 140 watts is only 3 db louder than 70 watts. 70 watts is only 3 db louder than 35 watts. 35 watts is only 3 db louder than 18 watts. Since percieved loudness of "twice as loud" takes 10 db total, then 140 watts isn't even twice as loud as 18 watts.

I like what somebody said yesterday on this forum. Something to the extent that the most important watt from and amplifier is the first one.

That's definitely a good point about the first watt being important. The only reason I'm going with a receiver now with pre-outs is so that I don't have to use a dedicated pre-amp. Getting one with HDMI switching is going to be hard to find for my price range ($500 or less). So I figure I can just get a nice receiver now then when I go to an amp down the road I don't have to buy much more. Is that thinking correct? I am very new to the amp world and higher end home theater in general so definitely let me know if I said something stupid.

You are very right about not worrying about the watts between the two receivers because if I go to separates down the road it won't matter anyway (not to mention the db to watts ratio).

I have the 708 and use it as a hybrid pre/pro. The front three are run off of 125 wpc monoblocks and the other four are run via the receiver. Very good processor for the money and pretty easy to use. Make sure you get the Audyssey mic with the receiver. I think it does pretty good.

My only complaint is that the amps run hot! Removing the burden of the front three channels really cooled it off though. I paid $475.00 or something for mine when it was on clearance as the 709 came out...just FYI.

Looks like I may be buying this one tonight as it's a great local deal. Onkyo TX-NR708 7.2 Network HT Receiver for $250 - http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR708-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B003N197CU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1317168523&sr=1-1

That seems like a lot of receiver for a good price. I have an Onkyo, and two Onkyo/Integra systems in operation now. I also have a new Onkyo/Integra DHC 80.3 preamp and DTA 70.1 amp on order. The only thing about Onkyo I will warn you about is the heat the amps in them generates.Make sure you have proper ventilation, or have 8" on the side and above the unit. Also, do not put anything under the unit that generates heat, as they draw cool air in from there.

The D/A Converter is very good indeed. The pro Onkyo and the Integra are better, but for $250, I would jump on that too!

Let us know how it turns out...

Yea, I use my system 70% for movies, 20% for music (mostly 2 or 3.1 channel), and 10% for video games. So it sounds like it should be a good deal as long as it works fine and everything. I will prolly go buy it tonight and the guy said I can test it out first and what not. The only thing that worries me is a quick search on it shows hundreds of reliability problems when it first came out. Amazon's reviews for example are pretty horrible and say it broke down for a lot of people in 6 months or sooner. The seller says he bought his in January of this year from Crutchfield. I'm just wondering why he's letting it go for so little when, even used, it's probably worth like $400.

I have the 708 and use it as a hybrid pre/pro. The front three are run off of 125 wpc monoblocks and the other four are run via the receiver. 

This is exactly how I plan to use it. That's reassuring, thanks a lot. Looks like the price I may be paying isn't too shabby either. As for heat, thankfully I installed some small USB powered fans (think small PC case sized) in my entertainment cabinet that are plugged into the USB ports of certain devices (receiver, PS3, Xbox360, etc). Then the fans only power on when that device comes on. It's worked pretty well so far. My PS3 still gets moderately warm when watching a blu-ray for more than 2 hours or so but it's not bad.

Well I pulled the trigger on the Onkyo TX-NR708. I got it last night for $230 and the guy even gave me his receipt from Crutchfield from this past December in case I need to get it serviced under warranty. We tested one of the HDMI ports and about 3 speakers terminals and it sounded good so I took it home. Haven't hooked it up to all my equipment yet but I'm excited. Thanks again for the advice dudes. Now to decide on an amp...hmmmm. There is a Adcom GFA-6000 really close by for $225. I'm definitely thinking about that one but not sure just yet. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/ele/2513108431.html

Congrats. That is great price for a 708. If I was you I would mess around with it before you pull the trigger on a new amp. I was just like you when I purchased my new receiver, I was already planning on a new amp to go with it. I found that my SC-35 put out more than enough power to run my reference system at atom splitting levels, I am sure your 708 will do the same.

Congrats. That is great price for a 708. If I was you I would mess around with it before you pull the trigger on a new amp. I was just like you when I purchased my new receiver, I was already planning on a new amp to go with it. I found that my SC-35 put out more than enough power to run my reference system at atom splitting levels, I am sure your 708 will do the same.

I was coming from a Pioneer VSX-1020K so it was no slouch or anything like that. But I definitely will give it a good audition before buying an amp. Thanks for the suggestion.