Looking for advice to complete my HT system

Dale Cowan

I have Forte II's and an Academy center channel up front and Forte II's in the back. I have a KSW-12 sub that seems to do well, and an SW-10 sub that seems too small to compliment the Forte II's. My receiver is a Denon AVR-3311CI that offers the 7.2 in the form of front height L&R, front wide L&R, or surround back L&R. I have a Sony BDP BX58 Blueray player. My TV is a Mitsubishi WD 62530 My room is 10X20. I like to listen to some music, but probably movies are more important. My questions are should I do front height, front wide, or surround back, and what speakers should I use? I have some KG4's, KG2.2's, and KG1.2's that I could use, or I don't mind looking around for something else used, preferably Klipsch. What do you think? I would also like to get a different sub to replace the SW-10, a used one of course, and preferably a Klipsch. Any suggestions? One last question. I notice quite a few people have a CD player and a BD player. Does a BD player not do a good job with CD's? If not what would be a good option for a used fairly inexpensive CD player, preferably Denon, but not a must? Your opinions would be appreciated.

thank you and God bless......dale

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you are a true blue Klipsch lover.

Regarding the BluRay/CD player. IMO, it is all about the D/A Converter. If you are sending digital signal to your AVR, then the only difference would be in loading speed, skipping, remote control ease of use and stuff like that. If you are coming from the device using analog outs, then the D/A converter and the internal circuitry are extremely important. Drop by Marantz website, and look at their top of the line SA-7S1. Using the XLR or the RCA stereo outs directly to your amp, gives you jaw dropping fidelity. Not everybody can afford a $6K SACS player, though, so most go to something like the Oppo BDP-95 for $1K, and they can listen to DVD-A's, CD's, SACD's, DVD's, and Blu Rays, in high fidelity. It is nice because it has the surround outs for your HT, and seperate stereo XLR outs for the audiophile in you.

On the surround (height, wide, rear) issue, it all comes down to personal preference. The only one that a specific signal is actually on some soundtracks is the rear surrounds (back and side on SOME discs). So, the wide and height surround are just your receiver changing the signal around to make a wider or taller soundstage.

I would try them all out and see what you like best.