Streaming music. PC? Sonos? Squeezebox?

psg

Just set up abcde on the IBM m52, next it's time to figure out auto ripping when a CD is inserted.

Ha!

This is easy enough from a shell:

$ abcde

Sometimes abcde doesn't find an entry for a disk and I have to manually do

$ cddbget -d

and add it to my local repositoty. Then abcde picks it up using:

$ abcde -L

--

Up to 325 CDs ripped and I'm almost done. I've started on the Christmas CD pile.

Just set up abcde on the IBM m52, next it's time to figure out auto ripping when a CD is inserted.

Ha!

This is easy enough from a shell:

$ abcde

Sometimes abcde doesn't find an entry for a disk and I have to manually do

$ cddbget -d

and add it to my local repositoty. Then abcde picks it up using:

$ abcde -L

--

Up to 325 CDs ripped and I'm almost done. I've started on the Christmas CD pile.

Agreed.

However, I would like to be able to have it rip automatically when I insert a disk since I plan on running this headless in my audio rack.

It looks like there is something I can do with ivman that will work.

I'm really a linux noob but I can usually figure out what I need to do to make stuff work.

I even had my wife using Xubuntu for a year or so on my old G5.

-Josh

Well, abcde has a non-interactive switch, so that's good. but I guess you'll get a few Unknowns with "Track 1", "Track 2" instead of real labels.

Install http://vortexbox.org/ on it?

Got it working.

When I inserted a CD the system asked me what I wanted to do as the default action, scroll to the bottom and choose other program > custom action.

I probably could have pointed to abcde itself but instead I pointed to a shell script that launches abcde in non interactive mode.

the remote on my Droid is working great, listening to some Duke Ellington right now.

4 CD's ripped :)

Thanks for the inspiration to do this Peter.

-Josh

We have been using a squeezebox classic and touch. I've enjoyed them very much! Convenient, reasonably easy to use, less involvement...........and then someone very recently sent me an older but still very good Denon turntable in exchange for some amplifier repair work I did for him. I had completely forgotten how organic and 3-dimensional well-recorded vinyl sounds. I still enjoy the Squeezeboxes and internet radio as sources for daily headphone listening, but I am relearning some things I had unfortunately forgotten about what at one time had been for me the only and most real-sounding way of storing and replaying recorded music.

Dee: I think as you about it. Do you have an SB Touch, by any chance? I found it to be really more transparent than the earlier model, and I unexpectedly also found that ripped CDs played via wireless (which is an old term in and of itself!) sound quite a bit better than playing the CD on our CD player -- a Cambridge, which suddenly decided it wanted to quit its job.

I have two IC-800 speakers in my bathroom ceiling for my streaming audio.

This would be cool if it came bundled with, say, 3 pairs of speakers for just a little extra:

http://www.klipsch.com/lightspeaker-in-ceiling-lighting-and-audio-system

Although I guess I don't have that many of that type of light fixture in my home. Still, I like the ease-of-installation!

Nothing quite like listening to the soft trickling sounds of a mountain stream or perhaps the splashing French garden fountain on Llewellyn's Natural Sounds Gold to "set the mood"... [8-|]

Nothing quite like listening to the soft trickling sounds of a mountain stream or perhaps the splashing French garden fountain on Llewellyn's Natural Sounds Gold to "set the mood"... Geeked

I thought that's what they meant by "streaming audio..."

LMAO Fini. Very "in" apropriate!

What this country needs is a sense of humor.

NEWSFLASH

I was at the Channel Island site and they make power supplies for the Squeezebox and Touch if I was reading correctly.

My newest DAC is a Channel Islands mod of an MSB Link III upsampling to 24/ 96. I have found Channel Islands to know their digital pretty well. No edge to the highs and excellent soundstage.

Update...

The UPS package with the soundcard was waiting for me on Thursday, so i installed it on Friday... Then the PC wouldn't boot (it wouldn't even post). So after a bit of diagnostics, I bought a power supply (PSU) on Saturday and fixed that. The sound card worked fine, but it took me a few hours to get sound from the S/PDIF coax output. Turned out that the gnome ALSA mixer didn't have the "IEC958" and "IEC958 Default PCM" boxes checked. That was a simple fix after all.

So it works! I can listen to music on my KHorns, fed from flac files on a PC one story up, remopte controlled from my Android phone. [Y][H]