How effective will rear speakers be in my setup? See attached photo

SteveBachman

I just hooked up 2 RF-82II speakers. They are awesome. My RC-62 center speaker should be in this week.

My question is the following: I also purchased 2 RS-52 rear speakers that I am getting ready to hook up but am now wondering how effective they will be. My living room is not real deep. The room is 14 feet deep. The distance from the floor speakers and TV to the front of the couch is about 10 feet. The couch is 3 feet wide and sits against the rear wall (there is around 1 foot behind the TV consol for cabling). Since the couch is against a rear wall the rear speakers would be placed either on that back wall above the couch or on each side of the couch. In either case there will not be any room between the couch and the rear speakers. My understanding is that to get the real effects of rear speakers they should be placed 2-4 feet behind the area where you will be viewing.

How effective will these rear speakers be if they are right above the couch, either on the back wall or side wall? Are they worth installing?

Thanks,

Steve

post-52728-13819663394014_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/

Look at the 5.1 set up.

Yours wont be optimal but if the speakers are faced down form the beam or attached sideways on the fireplace and left wall about a foot above your ears you should be good to go. RB 51's may be better since you have no rear reflection.

You need surround to get the full effect of HT IMO.

Do it.

Now..

On to subs..[6]

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Steve: I do agree with the others, too. However, if that doesn't suit your needs, one alternative might be what my friend Roger has done with success: If at all possible, move the couch out, partially away from the wall behind it and place the two rears flat on their backs on the floor (if it's a hard floor, I suggest on some sort of rug or foam) facing straight up towards the ceiling and at each end of the couch. I was amazed at how effective this technique was using RS-8's which have a similar dispersion pattern. Only a suggestion. Best of luck! -Glenn

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I just hooked up 2 RF-82II speakers. They are awesome. My RC-62 center speaker should be in this week.

My question is the following: I also purchased 2 RS-52 rear speakers that I am getting ready to hook up but am now wondering how effective they will be. My living room is not real deep. The room is 14 feet deep. The distance from the floor speakers and TV to the front of the couch is about 10 feet. The couch is 3 feet wide and sits against the rear wall (there is around 1 foot behind the TV consol for cabling). Since the couch is against a rear wall the rear speakers would be placed either on that back wall above the couch or on each side of the couch. In either case there will not be any room between the couch and the rear speakers. My understanding is that to get the real effects of rear speakers they should be placed 2-4 feet behind the area where you will be viewing.

How effective will these rear speakers be if they are right above the couch, either on the back wall or side wall? Are they worth installing?

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks for the awesome question Steve. I wanted to pose the same thing, but all of the work has been done for me. I do have a couple of things to add to the OP's question however.

What if one of the side walls is much farther away as compared to the one near the listening position. Another words the distance between the couch and left/right side walls are not equal. Steve (the OP) has the situation where he has both side walls equidistant to the listening position. What would you guys suggest for that type of situation? Also does anyone have any thoughts on wire lengths, specifically if one run is longer than another?

Nevermind guys answered my own question pertaining to speaker wire. Guess I shouldn't be lazy and do some digging before asking dumb questions.... [:S][:$][8-)]

Some useful info in case anyone's wondering: http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-cable-length-differences-do-they-matter

However my first question still applies. Could anyone chime in or give any suggestions on what to do if one side wall is farther than another?