5.1 Channel Vs 2.1 Channel Computer Speaker Systems

SuBXeRo

Guys, I am looking for all of your input on computer speakers systems with respect to 2 channel vs 5 channel audiophile grade speaker systems. I have had both in the past, i had a really crappy altec lansing 5 channel and i have a Bose 2.1 computer system from the first year they came out. My gripe with the Altec was that it was crummy as hell and multiple channels died and the speakers were junk. My Bose sounds great but the sattelites are tin cans without the bass module, in conjunction they perform very well. My gripe with the bose is that the volume pod never completely mutes the music when the knob is at minimum. When i touch the center to mute it completely it does so. This has been a flaw its had for its entire life.

On to why i am comparing. I game, i build computers and its a passion of mine. I am quite selective on the games i choose to devote my time to from rollercoaster tycoon the oiginal to star craft II and counter-strike: source as well as other newer and more highpowered games. If i went 5 channel it would all be front soundstage. To be honest, it has been quite some time since i heard a 5.1 computer setup.

What I am looking for. I will never again buy a klipsch 2.1 computer system because of the shoddy quality of the amp and controls of the system. I had a gmx system before and it bit the dust. Also the horns revealed imprections in the amp quality and gave me a 24/7 horn hiss. With that said, i am thinking about counting out klipsch all together because of the horns and speaker size as well as the directivity of needing to be in the sweet spot especially at close range. I want some decent frequency response as i dont want tin cans sitting on my desktop. I want speakers with some more depth to warrant such an upgrade, otherwise i might as well stay with the bose.

I was actually thinking of going with the energy veritas bookshelfs for either the 5.1 or 2.1 setup.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/543514326/energy-v-mini-w-bracket x 4
543514326_1?$vdc_large_image$

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/548727215/energy-v-mini-c-center-channel x 1
548727215?$vdc_large_image$

I am really looking for good performing speaker that are solidly around the size of this, depth is amjor concern as i need to be able to toe in the speakers and what not. If you know of any great speakers in the size range, let me know.

Thisis what my desk looks like, pardon the mess, im sick today, got my tea, cough dropsand my life on this desk. the monitor is 24" and yes i need my lamps haha. On the left or right of the lamps i could potentially put the surround speakers and the center channel id have to make work some how.
desk.jpg

As for amps and what not, if i need to get an outboard soundcard thats ok so i can feed the amp a signal. Now heres the next thing. I refuse to have a giant amplifier/receiver on my desk so i am looking for a volume pod solution. So far i have only been able to find this for a stereo option. If i could find this for a 5 channel setup, it would give me alot of flexibility in my choices and i could avoids getting a receiver where i would have to use the knob on the receiver and put it next to my desk.

NHT Volume Pod: http://www.nhthifi.com/passive_volume_control_PVC_PC#
:media.nl?id=5793&c=408900&h=81e3a925d60d

As for amps, well, i have tons of options and i was thinking emotiva or outlaw audio or possibly used rotel or BK or paradigm or something awesome i can find on craigslist, things are a lot more limited here in nj.

This setup is most likely months and months out but i am doing my initial heavy research.

what about something like this ?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6671748&CatId=2894

it may not be "high end" but very cost effective (these will be tin cans without the sub as well)

one other might be something like this

http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=438

ive had a much older logitech 4.1 setup and liked it, until i found headphone bliss (perfect for counterstrike source) i enjoy my sennheiser 280 pros and i imagine they can only get better from there

if you enjoy gaming nothing comes close to a good set of headphones, you could use any savings on a heck of a pair of headphones and even get an amp for those, why not have the best of both worlds [:D] ?

I have seen the audioengine stuff before and i had thought about them. I like the idea but i kind of want to do a one off system where i pick all of my components and be difficult of course. I just like to have the flexibility of choosing speakers. I am of course doing everything the most expensive way. I have also been looking for speakers that may be a bit larger but are cheaper. Its all stuff to be done in time, i am also happy just crating stuff until i have everything built out.

As for the logitech, i have seen and heard them before and they crank loud. I want something with more quality to it then that. I am also using this as an excuse to try out some different brands of speakers that have intrigued me.

that swan system could very well be a contender!!! i gotta read about it some more!

I must b the luckiest promedia owner then! :). Bought mine used for $45 shipped on eBay about 5 years ago. First used them at my desk. Then moved them to my man cave. Then to the bedroom and now they are my livingroom tv speakers. Still work perfect and sound great. Hard to believe there are so many issues with these things. It's really too bad cause they sound great if they stay healthy.