92" tv...NUTSSSSS

SuBXeRo

Here's the sweet spot on the DLP's http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-82738-82-Inch-DLP-HDTV/dp/B003HPB97I/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318264327&sr=1-5

The 82" around $2000 or the 73" for about $1500 and if you're a member with amazon you can put a 3 or 4 year warranty on it for next to nothing and the pictrues on these actually look great. I think Mitsubishi finally got their customer service and supplier problems worked out from a few years ago but it's still keeping the price pushed way down. No, you can't hang it on the wall but my gear and speakers need a couple of feet of floor space anyway so that really is of no concern to me.

Paying 10k for a TV would be really hard for me with how

often technology changes. But if I made 100k a year I guess then I might. Soon TVs

will be like a rug that we can roll up and out and hang anywhere at any size. I

have seen 20k TVs that are 70” and they even look really really bad on hdtv. In

fact anything over 60” imo (even over 40”) is going to look stretched on hdtv. Some

shows look really good on some channels but a lot look pretty bad regardless of

the tv compared to blu rays.

Paying 10k for a TV would be really hard for me with how
often technology changes. But if I made 100k a year I guess then I might. Soon TVs
will be like a rug that we can roll up and out and hang anywhere at any size. I
have seen 20k TVs that are 70” and they even look really really bad on hdtv. In
fact anything over 60” imo (even over 40”) is going to look stretched on hdtv. Some
shows look really good on some channels but a lot look pretty bad regardless of
the tv compared to blu rays.

And therein lies the problem.

There are only so many who will spend for the premium product, and that number is reduced in the current economy. It is perfectly understandable why manufacturers have taken the current path, asit is a much bigger risk to put too many eggs in the high end basket, when the the numbers willing to spend that much are relatively few. Many of those former "high end" customers are now "mid level", and if not in actual earnings, then in mindset, due again to the current economic zeitgeist.

Saw this tv at Best Buy and standing 7-8 feet away it had a very good picture. It would of looked better at around 12 feet but for the price and size it is around the same price as a Mitsubishi wd 73840.

Agreed...

I have the 82" and had to build a shorter custom stand. When sitting at

the right height the picture quality is excellent. In the realm of cars and TVs

I subscribe to the adage "There's no substitute for cubic inches." After all, most of us want to create that theater

experience. I had considered a

projection unit but they just don’t work well in rooms with too much ambient light. These Mitsubishi RPTVs offer an excellent value. True, a plasma or LCD this size would be better quality, but

just not affordable.

When you start using screens larger than 50" the ammount of pixels available cannot fill the area to overcome pixelation or pixel density so it becomes useless if you were trying to increase picture quality, the larger the display the further you would have to sit from the screen otherwise you would loose performance in picture quality and would only be making it harder to get a clearer image.

So on top of why you dont see screens larger than 65" you also have the limitation of the technology that restricts the size.

When you start using screens larger than 50" the ammount of pixels available cannot fill the area to overcome pixelation or pixel density so it becomes useless if you were trying to increase picture quality, the larger the display the further you would have to sit from the screen otherwise you would loose performance in picture quality and would only be making it harder to get a clearer image.

Still, a lot of people are happy projecting a 130-inch image onto a screen without sitting that far back.

Still, a lot of people are happy projecting a 130-inch image onto a screen without sitting that far back.

That's right, I watch 130 inches from about 15- 17 ft and it looks great, for the price of a decent 50 inch tv.I have several hundred concerts and it's like being there.I sure aint paying $50k for the same size with some marginal improvement.

Prices sure have come down on Mits DLP's. I bought a 52" Mits 52628 DLP back in Nov of 05 for about $5k. Never had a prob with the set and sold it to a friend back in Sept of 09 for a Pioneer 50" Kuro. That Mits is doing fine, just the bulb had to be replaced a few months back and my friend loves the set.

Thinking about selling my G9 kuro for a bigger display, maybe the Panasonic 65VT30 Plasma or the new Sharp Elite 60".

Prices sure have come down on Mits DLP's. I bought a 52" Mits 52628 DLP back in Nov of 05 for about $5k. Never had a prob with the set and sold it to a friend back in Sept of 09 for a Pioneer 50" Kuro. That Mits is doing fine, just the bulb had to be replaced a few months back and my friend loves the set.

Thinking about selling my G9 kuro for a bigger display, maybe the Panasonic 65VT30 Plasma or the new Sharp Elite 60".

Just saw a Sharp 80 inch next to a Mitsubishi 92 inch. The sharp had Speed Racer(silly movie great visuals) on it and looked very good for $4900. The Mitsubishi was on but nothing playing it was $4500.

One thing about the Sharp I noticed is the sharpness was turned up too much but that could be turned down, very good picture. If I had more time I would of asked to have the movie put on the Mitsubishi, next time.

I had someone offer me $1800 for my 5020 Kuro a month ago. It's just so hard to let it go.

I'll have mine till it stops working, it's a great panel. I honestly can't think of a current set I'd rather have especially since I'm not at all interested in 3D.

I honestly can't think of a current set I'd rather have especially since I'm not at all interested in 3D.

I feel the same way about my Panasonic Professional model TH-50PH9UK, I have had it almost 5 years. Oh and I still have a couple months left on the original Panasonic 5 year warranty which came with it. Absolutely love this display and it still looks as good as it did when I first got it [:)]