Your opinion on below subwoofer models please

SteveBachman

I am looking at the following subwoofers for my RF-82II system.

What are your opinions on them. My price range is around $500.

My viewing room is 14 feet deep, 16.5 feet wide, and has vaulted sealings.

HSU-VTF-2 MK3 ($509 plus $63 shipping)

HSU-VTF1 ($399 plus $43 shipping)

SVS SB12-NSD ($679 includes shipping)

ED A5S-300 ($550)

Emotiva Ultra Series 10 (B-stock $299)

Thanks,

Steve Bachman

Depends on what you're looking for. The VTF 2.3 will trump all the other subs on your list in terms of low end (<30Hz) output due to its large ported enclosure. On the other hand, the smaller SVS SB12-NSD or (not on your list, but a great value at $429) Emotiva Ultra 12 are much more attractive and allow more placement flexibility.

i have 2 emo ultra 12's and they are good subs for HT. I have cathedral ceilings in my house so it affects overall sound. To really get lower notes you need bigger boxes, larger drivers and you are gonna drop more cash. I shook my ice tea maker out of my back pantry while watching tron, they really do rumble. I went sealed for 2 reasons, they were going in a cabinet and sealed is more versatile for placement. You want to buy a good quality ported or vented sub too, the lower quality cheaper ones tend to be very airy sounding IMO like the lower line of velodynes. I like subs with passive radiators, they maintain a tightness IMO. Again, not all subs are equal in performance, some small cheap vented/ported subs sound good, its hard to tell when buying online. Any of the brands you have listed should perform well, i cosidered hsu, svs and elemental designs and settled on the emo subs because of the price/performance and the fact that i wanted dualing subs

just my .02

• 2 weeks later...