Does Bi-Wiring make a difference?

usmcavenger

I have had my Klipsch RF-7's II's and RC-64 II for a few days now and they're awesome. Today I just Bi-wired all 3 speakers and don't notice a difference at all. My question is, does Bi-wiring really make a difference that you can actually hear and should I keep them Bi-wired now regardless of if I feel they made no difference? Thanks! These new speakers are insaine though! And the SW-311 subwoofer shakes my whole building! I can't get enough of it!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

does Bi-wiring really make a difference that you can actually hear

Depends. If you used two runs of regular 12AWG wire to biwire, and compared it to a single run of wire, there is unlikely to be a difference. On the other hand, if you used something like 18AWG wire, it is possible there could be a difference depending upon the length of the runs due to the reduced resistance. Also, some people do use different cables for the high end and low end, and it possible that those cables could impart some sonic signature.

should I keep them Bi-wired now regardless of if I feel they made no difference?

Up to you. It doesn't hurt anything if you just happened to have the extra wire to see what difference it would make.

best way for you to actually know is to try for yourself, it won`t cost you much in material and time. you might also try connecting a wire between the two negative speaker terminals and see what you think. you will usually get a lot of opinions when you ask these kind of questions but the only one which counts is yours. try things out the experience is worth the effort regardless of the outcome.best regards moray james.

It can make a difference.A wire can be constructed to alter signals slightly, so it is possible.As to the ? I doubt it makes a difference to use two 14 guage wires vs one 14 guage of the same type but that's only an opinion.I don't see anything wrong with it either if you like the result.

Buy wire, what a clever sales idea, but I'm not sure why anybody does it.

Maybe it makes a difference, but I suspect improvement is unlikely. The crossover is one of the most critical elements in the voicing of a speaker, and when you bi wire you stick two unknown length and characteristic sections of wire between woofer and midrange/tweeter crossover components. Except for the obvious profit potential its a really bad idea.

As one of the true believers of the cable faith, I can say with some authority...I don't know. Even though I have chosen my cables after trying a quite few products, I also like to keep it simple and just run a single pair. Then there is the cost. Will double the money sound better in two cable runs or a single more expensive cable? I don't know the answer to that either.

Could you elaborate?.....Big Smile

Sure can.

I was running some nice multi strand Liberty 12 gauge wire on my KLF 30's. I had them just ran normal. Then decided to biwire with the Liberty cable and actually seemed to lose some bottom end and gain mids and highs. It wasn't to my liking so I ran across a used pair of Monster Z2 biwire cables for 20 bucks locally and hooked them up. I instantly gained a much more pronounced bass that was much more solid than before and the highs were immediatley tamed.

Now I am not sure if Monster has done something with this particular cable to deaden the highs or not but the wire has a larger wire for the bass than the highs and each is marked as to where it is to go. It is obviously some kind of resistance trick but it is definitely noticeable immediatley. This isn't a subtle change.

So to be fair is it the cable or the biwire I am not 100% sure but either way logically it shouldn't be this big of a change.

As I had stated though using the Liberty cable when biwiring the KLF 30's it was very apparent again that the bass had become thin and the mids and highs were pronounced. So I am more apt to think it was the biwiring.

I tried some Monster Z-1 Reference speaker cable, and returned it to the store after three days. It made the system sound so bad that I didn't even want to listen to it.

I don't see how that adds any weight to the discussion besides you dont like Monster Z-1.