Your best listening mode?

Dingman

I have two listening modes. Passive and active. In the passive mode I pipe whatever I’m listening to throughout the house and go about whatever it is I’m doing. My house is wired with 5 or 6 pairs of speakers. A few JBL in-walls and some other unremarkable pairs. In this mode I’m really not listening but rather just want some background noise. More often than not the source of this “noise” is Pandora. From time to time I’ll listen to the local FM station. I rarely delve in to my collection of CDs or FLACs in passive mode. I have taken this mode to the point where I’ve set up a secondary amplifier and speakers in the main stereo. This is to keep hours off of the tube amp if I’m not “actively” listening to it.

And then there’s “active” mode. As a rule I’ve been thinking about a play list most of the day. I’ll gather all of the music, usually vinyl and CDs and then it becomes an almost “religious” ritual. I turn off the VOIP phone and my cell phone. The tube amp and CD player both need around an hour of warm up before they’re at their best so I power everything up and play Pandora or FM for a while. When all is right with the world I’ll pour myself the beverage du jour usually a nice craft beer or a glass of merlot, occasionally a good single malt and settle in to listen.

I don’t have the luxury of a dedicated listening space so I’m sitting on my living room couch with my feet up about 14 feet from my Cornscalas. I put on whatever the sources is, take the lighting down to a bare minimum and sit back and enjoy. These sessions range from an hour or so (1 album) to 4 or 5 hours. For reference (and I've measured) my passive listening tends to be around 80Db but my active listening tends to be a bit higher at 90 to 95Db.

One of my more interesting observations about these listening sessions is that I sleep MUCH better following one. I tend to not sleep all that well most of the time but the nights after an “active” listening session I sleep very soundly and usually longer than I should. I related this anomaly to a friend of mine who’s a doctor and she attributes the difference to a state of much deeper relaxation before going to bed. Me… I think it’s the couple (or more) of glasses of wine. All I know is after a 2 or 3 hour pure listening session I sleep like a baby.

For me great music and a bit of alcohol is much more effective than any sleep medication I have ever tried and I've tried a bunch of them.

I have two listening modes. Passive and active. In the passive mode I pipe whatever I’m listening to throughout the house and go about whatever it is I’m doing. My house is wired with 5 or 6 pairs of speakers. A few JBL in-walls and some other unremarkable pairs. In this mode I’m really not listening but rather just want some background noise. More often than not the source of this “noise” is Pandora. From time to time I’ll listen to the local FM station. I rarely delve in to my collection of CDs or FLACs in passive mode. I have taken this mode to the point where I’ve set up a secondary amplifier and speakers in the main stereo. This is to keep hours off of the tube amp if I’m not “actively” listening to it.

And then there’s “active” mode. As a rule I’ve been thinking about a play list most of the day. I’ll gather all of the music, usually vinyl and CDs and then it becomes an almost “religious” ritual. I turn off the VOIP phone and my cell phone. The tube amp and CD player both need around an hour of warm up before they’re at their best so I power everything up and play Pandora or FM for a while. When all is right with the world I’ll pour myself the beverage du jour usually a nice craft beer or a glass of merlot, occasionally a good single malt and settle in to listen.

I don’t have the luxury of a dedicated listening space so I’m sitting on my living room couch with my feet up about 14 feet from my Cornscalas. I put on whatever the sources is, take the lighting down to a bare minimum and sit back and enjoy. These sessions range from an hour or so (1 album) to 4 or 5 hours. For reference (and I've measured) my passive listening tends to be around 80Db but my active listening tends to be a bit higher at 90 to 95Db.

One of my more interesting observations about these listening sessions is that I sleep MUCH better following one. I tend to not sleep all that well most of the time but the nights after an “active” listening session I sleep very soundly and usually longer than I should. I related this anomaly to a friend of mine who’s a doctor and she attributes the difference to a state of much deeper relaxation before going to bed. Me… I think it’s the couple (or more) of glasses of wine. All I know is after a 2 or 3 hour pure listening session I sleep like a baby.

For me great music and a bit of alcohol is much more effective than any sleep medication I have ever tried and I've tried a bunch of them.

I have a completely different setup, but there are similarities........

I always sleep better after listening.

Sometimes I can sleep while listening. Many times my lady comes home to find me asleep on the couch.......

This is because I can put all the work stress on the side and just LISTEN.

The other difference (besides equipment; etc) Is I do not drink alcohol anymore.

(It's ok; to each his own).

Music is a big deal to me, and I would go nuts without it........

This is an interesting subject - one that has been studied. From what I recall, there are the two basic modes of listening that you've identified. What's interesting is that people who are professional musicians and those who have spent years in music (as a performer) will use the "active" listening mode that you practice.

See "The Two Sides of Music" as an example.

This 1994 article describes in plain language what differences there are in listening to music by casual listeners, improvising musicians, and "music-reading" musicians.

Chris

The Two Sides of Music.pdf