anything wrong w/using Bookshelfs in car?

Any reason why this can't be done? I see some Klipsch bookshelf models going for approx $150 or so on ebay, I'm fixing to spend more than that on 6x9's. Any wisdom here? Anybody doing this? Warnings? One thing I can think of is package tray temps in Phoenix, pretty warm there in the summer. Up around 140F.

Tom

This message has been edited by Tom Mobley on 05-06-2002 at 10:15 PM

I think you will MELT those speakers in a car. A 140F. is low, more like 170+ in Arizona in a car. I have heard that cars (minus Hyundi, Kia, Daewoo, FordSmile.gif) are designed to go up to 180F. You need to mount them so that if you slam on the brakes or get into an accident (yes, you cannot plan for an accident after the fact...) that the speakers will not end up in your scull or other part of your anatomy.

Other than that, you will get some good tunes at a good price. What sort of vehical? How will you power them?

Enjoy!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

fini,

you apparently haven't been driving in the morning rush hour in Phx. Routine to see drivers eating breakfast, reading the paper, fixing hair and makeup, etc. Although, I was thinking about KSB1.1 in this particular case.

kenratboy,

I've got a Nakamichi 50W/side amp. Probably drive it with a Nak CD deck or tape deck. I'm up on that flying speaker deal, friend was injured back in the early 80's, had a pretty nasty head injury from a flying speaker. It's 70 Chevelle, my daily driver, currently equipped with original AM radio and center dash speaker.

Anybody got wisdom on using ksb1.1's or pair of Quintets? Quintets are quite a bit smaller but the 1.1's go down into the 50Hz range, Quintets quit at about 100Hz. Got a feeling the 1.1's would sound a lot better.

Tom

Tom- The commute on 101 through Marin is just as bad, everyone with a cel phone up to their ear (talking to someone in Phoenix...).

Ken- Very important point! Just think how often we all throw potenial decapitators in the back seat (that 70's Pioneer receiver you picked up at the flea market would make a lovely hat, eh?). It's a lot like thinking gravity will still be your friend when the next big eathquake hits: if you want 'em to stay put, anchor 'em.

fini

I used to have a pair of Braun Hi-Output C's on the rear deck of my 4-door back in the 70's/80's ... Boy, those were heavy suckers. If I had head-on'ed someone, either the crash or the 20 lbs. speakers flying into my head at 88 ft/sec. would have killed me.

One thing to think about is to move a small pair of Klipsch speakers on the underside of the rear deck firing up into the the rear glass. As far as how you mount them, well that's up to you but it would be a lot safer, for sure.

I better stop typing ... I'm coming up on a Construction Zone and a state trooper's on my tail.

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

AES AE-25 "Superamp" (in temporary retirement)

AES AE-3 Pre-amp (in temporary retirement)

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Ewe, Marin County is icky Smile.gif! That is a horrible commute! I did Concord to DT San Francisco on BART, that was bad enough. Now that the far East Bay traffic is on BART and on 4, and Kirker Pass, it is hell now. I am in Reno now, <30 minuits to get across town in ANY traffic, work is 10 minuits away, so nice. Start work at 8:00AM? Why not leave at 7:40AM?

I have not once regreted moving away from the Bay Area. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the area, but living there is too much of a pain. I go back almost monthly, to see friends and relatives, and to buy optics.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Hmpf. Hadn't thought about 8ohm--4ohm deal, must be why I posted here.Smile.gif Nak amps are really good though, might be ok anyway. Probably be a 25w/side amp at 8 ohms though.

Think I'll drag a set off ebay, see how it works. I can always use them in the computer room or something.

Tom

Boy, I'd be worried about somebody with a tire-iron seeing the Klipschs and deciding to make your speakers their speakers.

The heat might be a problem too - both affecting the cabinets and making some of the speaker parts deteriorate. I've heard car speakers use a higher heat glue to hold the spiders and surrounds to the frames for one thing.

The impedance shouldn't pose a problem - unless you're planning on hooking a number of speakers in parallel.

Capt'n Bob cwm39.gif