Amplifier for Heresy

Duff

Hi,

I recently bought a pair of HII's and i love them, but right now i have them hooked up to an old harman kardon 330i. I am pretty pleased with the sound right now, however, i have only ever heard them on my other receiver ( a new hardman kardon AVR 3600).

I am wondering if any of you guys an recommend an amplifier that is under $300 for them. I plan on upgrading them to HIII's this summer. I listen to just about every genre of music. Right now i i play most of my music from my mac connected through an RCA cable and would one day like to add a turntable and CD player, so i think i ould be fine with a totally analog 2 channel amp. All HDMI stuff can go through my AVR. Any thoughts or suggestions from you guys? Living in Manitoba Canada, i do not have a chance to hear many set ups. There are zero dealers in my province who carry any heritage products, and my Heresy's are the only ones i have ever seen in my life. Any input would be appreciated.

Duff,

This is a fantastic deal and I would jump all over it if I did not already have (3) different 80's/90's Denon integrated amps. All of mine sound great with my Heresy's and Heresy II's. This beast 2000R is a clear step above the Denons I own and it is offered with the matching tuner. Dual mono design.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1323480831&/Denon-PMA-2000r---TU-1500rd-Tu

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/integrated-amplifiers/denon/pma-2000r/prd_115755_2717crx.aspx

http://audio-database.com/DENON-COLUMBIA/amp/pma-2000-e.html

Bill

Duff: welcome to the very best Klipsch forum on the web and also one of the very best forums there is. Everything you will ever need to know about Klipsch can be found hers along with some of the greatest people and friends you will ever find. I am west of you in Calgary. Since you are in Manitoba (where exactly?) you can check out kijiji and canuckaudiomart look for an old Meitner STR50 or STR55 (much the same) you should be able to find one for about $300-350. If perhaps you stumble across a Museatex Melior amp (bigger version of the STR) buy that. Both were designed by Ed Meitner and are serviced and upgraded by John Wright of Museatex (John now owns Museatex). These are excellent mosfet amps which will still compare with $2500.00 amps and once modified by John will run up against just about anything you care to compare them to. You should be able to find one of these in Manitoba they are worth the look. Also keep your eyes peeled for either a Meitner PA6 or PA6i or a Museatex Melior Analog control Centre any of these preamps are very good and when upgraded will run along most sota designs today. These preamps can be found for around the same price as the amps if you look. Buying a solid time tested quality amp which still has factory support is money well spent over the long run. Hope this is of interest. You can find out all about the Museates products at http://www.museatex.com/ . Congrats on the Heresy ll and your decission to upgrade to the H lll next summer. Best regards Moray James.

I would not have a problem with an amp and a pre-amp, however i doubt the combo would be worthwhile to seek out at under $300 for the most part. And im looking into the dennon because it seems great, except shipping on an amp that weighs about 70 pounds shipped to canada might make the transaction not worth while. And i live in Winnipeg Manitoba. I have been searching Kijiji and have not turned up much, however, i will keep looking. Is it much better in Calgary for used amps? If i find a great one and it is in great shape and a great deal, shipping from there or a pick up might be much more economical.

Thanks for the input so far guys, keep it coming, this is really helping. I would consider myself a very novice audiophile, only really being able to listen to and buy some respectable stuff in the last couple years. None of my friends quite understand it all haha

Realistic SA-2001 Integrated Amplifier. There is a used one in seemingly good shape in my city that i found on Canuck audio mart. Thoughts on this amp?

I can't say about the Realistic but I can say about this here Denon.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/648962169-denon_pma700v_integrated_amplifier/

And this NAD.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/648962766-nad_c372_integrated_amp/

And this Cambridge Audio.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/648962261-cambridge_audio_azur_640as/

This one sounds awesome with Heresys.

Bill

Duff,

I do not know about that Realistic amp. Some of Rat Shacks older stuff is actually pretty good.

I still have not made the jump to a seperate amp for my H Is, but my HK AVR 7300 is rated at 110wpc.

(I believe in 2 channel mode that jumps even higher). It weighs 60 pounds......

I would check into the above mentioned names, NAD, Cambridge, Denon, etc..... maybe even an HK 2 channel amp (HK 870 is it? I forget)......

Being so far away definitely hurts; Ebay may be your friend.

Good Luck.

I understand monitary restraints very well but sometime you need to do a little outside the box thinking. A $300.00 Chinese receiver is not going to buy you much in terms of sound and is only a stop gap on the way to a really good sounding amp. If you have a variable output on your present CD player you could purchase an older but quality amp and use the CD as your volume control untill you can afford a preamp some time in the next twelve months or so. A quality amp will be well worth investing later in the upgrade cost to take you to the next level when you are ready and trust me you will want to upgrade down the road. With a cheap receiver there is nowhere to go and no resale value two or three years down the road. The Pioneer you mentioned is not a bad sounding amp and has lots of features but is not in the same league as the stock Meitner. Service costs on older asian receivers and intigrated amps is not cost effective and sometimes just not possible and not a good place to park you hard earned money. A used mosfet amp is a far safer buy than a used bipolar (transistor) amp because you pretty much can`t blow a mosfet amp up unlike a transistor amp. So if it gets sick a mosfet amp will be a lot cheaper to repair than a transistor amp will be. You can check Kijiji for any city you want and see what is available. Have the vendor package your amp and drop it off at the Grey Hound which is the fastest and least expensive way to ship inside Canada.Good hunting. Best regards Moray James.