So I swapped my RC-7 (DeanG) out for an RC-64 II

Gorm

Posted Image

Posted Image

What a DOWNGRADE!

After setting up properly level matching to the RF-7s, I turned on Star Trek Blu Ray. The sound coming out of the center channel was softer, not NEARLY as bright as the RC-7.I then noticed on several musical parts where the information is shared between all three channels, that the music on the RC-64 II sounded completely different, and almost as if it couldn't keep up with the RF-7s.

Thinking this may have just been the Blu-Ray, I then switched to the Dark Knight DVD and the results were exactly the same. Very dissipointed at this point.

I then switched to Rock Band 3, via the Playstation 3. This game puts music songs split between the front 3 channels in 5.1 mode. The music information on the RC-64 was clearly different than the music out of the RF-7s.

I don't think there was anything wrong with my RC-64 II, i just think my DeanG modded equipment or perhaps the older RF-7's, RC-7s are just in a different league.

• Moderators

I would expect to hear differences between the two lines. The RF-7 Series has always seemed brighter (not bad to my ears) than the smoother sounding RF-83 series. I've owned both the RC-7 and the RC-64. To me, there is more detail in the RC-64 but it's not as bright. I've never heard the DeanG mods to know what they sound like.

Well......I thought this was gonna be one of those"it just blowed the rc7 away threads".I would have had to disagree as the rc7 is absolutely a fantastic center although it is brighter than the 64.The 64 works great with 83's and the 7 with 7's but a mix is not ideal.I have a rc7 with 83's and the 7 runs off and leaves the 83's at upper volumes on music.On the occasional movie it's actually ok as the dialog is very clear.I have compensated for this but I prolly need to get a 64 someday when I find a cheap one.

Sorry to hear that. I'm really shocked to hear that it's a down grade...completely different, not so much, but downgrade is a surprise.

I would consider it a downgrade if I had it in my system. I'm sure it goes along just fine with the RF-7 IIs. Compared to the detail and brightness coming out of the RF-7s though, the RC-64 II just didn't do anything for me. It felt like the RF-7s were almost always coming out on top. I had to set the gain to 2 DB higher than level to where I thought the RC-64 II wasn't being over powered. At that point, you could really hear the differences between the three speakers.

Just curious, did you run Audyssey with the RC-64 II and RF-7s? I really like your room, (looks great!) but that has to be a little rough on any speaker with the brick wall back there.

On the other hand, I wouldn't expect the RC-64 II to ever sound BETTER than a RC-7 with Dean G mods when paired with RF-7s.

Also makes me wonder if the other use has ever heard an RC-7.

I agree...and there is no correction needed to make the rc7 match with rf7. Still we do all hear different but the rc7 is not likely to be outdone when used with rf7's.That's not to say anyone cannot like what they want, that's what really matters.

The Brick wall is really the foundation of the house. The previous owners just painted it, and since I don't want to spend too much money on the place. (Only 27 and might be moving if I get married), I didn't feel the need to stud and insulate the walls. I did run the Audyseey. It sounded much better, but you could still hear the difference in the speakers. Its just as if its a slightly different tone, and didn't sound near as lively, which I've become accustom to with the RF-7s.

I hope you still have your RC-7! I am surprised that the newer RC-64 ll is not a closer match since they went back to the 1.75 tweeter and it's supposed to be better matched to the newer RF-7 lls. The RC-7 is a beast though, I like how it covers down to 45hz.

I actually love the look of brick on an interior, its just not the best acoustic material. So, are you going to be able to put your RC-7 back up above the TV where it belongs?

Oh yah, its back already. I plugged it back in and was wowed on how much better it flowed compared to the RC-64 II. I'll be taking it back. I got it at a heck of a deal. 1280 after tax, but will be able to get a full refund on it.

Gorm - thanks again for posting about your experience. I have original RF-7s and RC-7 (no mods) and I have wondered if an RC-64 or RC-64II would be an upgrade or not. The RC-64's 1.25" tweeter has me thinking it may not be able to keep up with my 7s but at least the RC-64II has the 1.75 incher. Looks like it wasn't an upgrade for your set up and I'm sorry to hear that but at least now you know you already have the best possible center for those sweet RF-7s! Congrats!