So I swapped my RC-7 (DeanG) out for an RC-64 II

Gorm

What a DOWNGRADE!

After setting up properly level matching to the RF-7s, I turned on Star Trek Blu Ray. The sound coming out of the center channel was softer, not NEARLY as bright as the RC-7.

I would not say a downgrade as is in "inferior" just not matching as well as the RC-7. I too notice that my RC-64 does not have the crispier(brighter) tone of my RF-63's, which I think is partially due to it being an acoustic suspension(sealed) speaker as opposed to ported. I think a sealed cabinet by design does soften the tone a bit. With tonal EQ'ing, I have been able to better match them to where I am pretty satisfied with the results. A brighter sounding amp on the center channel than on the fronts may also do the trick. The RC-7 is ported with the exact 1.75 inch horn tweeter as the RF-7's which would clearly explain the better tonal match.

These are my opinions and experiences only and am going on the record in saying I am not forcing them on anyone else.[:#][:P]

Bill

I'm always glad to read first hand reviews, espescially when there is an A/B comparison as gorm did. Anyone can read through spec sheets or check Klipsch to find out what speakers are tonally matched, but it's good to know what is "heard" in a paticular setting. I was certainly suprised to read that the RC-64 II was a disapointment, but I've never heard the RC-7 (nor Dean G mods) nor the newest rendention of the RC-64 and I don't often listen to 5 channel stereo.

My only reasonable comparison was when I switched from the RC-3 to the RC-62. I ran Audyssey immediately after the switch and the differences were minimal. The only tangible difference I found was that the RC-62 was (not suprisingly) a better tonal match to my RF-82s and it created a slightly better integration between right, left, and center.

I too notice that my RC-64 does not have the crispier(brighter) tone of my RF-63's

Are you talking about the RC-64 or RC-64 ll? Wasnt the RC-64 built to match the RF-63/RF-83 series? They should be a perfect match shouldnt they?

Are you talking about the RC-64 or RC-64 ll? Wasnt the RC-64 built to match the RF-63/RF-83 series? They should be a perfect match shouldnt they?

I am talking about the RC-64. Yes the RC-64 was designed to be tonally matched to the RF-63/RF-83 but it is not perfectly matched. It is definitely plenty good to me but just not exactly the same. By virtue of design, an acoustic suspension speaker will not sound "exactly" like the "matching" bass reflex speaker of the same series. I am somewhat splitting hairs a bit with my comments but to me, the RF-63/RC-64 combo does not produce the exact same tone. Maybe in the area of 90% to 95% tonally matched, if there was a way to measure it. A perfect match would be another RF-63.

Bill

I am talking about the RC-64. Yes the RC-64 was designed to be tonally matched to the RF-63/RF-83 but it is not perfectly matched. It is definitely plenty good to me but just not exactly the same. By virtue of design, an acoustic suspension speaker will not sound "exactly" like the "matching" bass reflex speaker of the same series. I am somewhat splitting hairs a bit with my comments but to me, the RF-63/RC-64 combo does not produce the exact same tone. Maybe in the area of 90% to 95% tonally matched, if there was a way to measure it. A perfect match would be another RF-63.

Ahh I see... yes I understand what you mean about another RF-63 for the absolute perfect match. I have 3 RF-7s across my front for this reason.

Well knowing how the test with the RC-64 II went, I decided to move my RS-7s up to where my RS-62s were. Wow...I really believe Klipsch when they say the RS-7s were designed to be paired with the RF-7s. I placed the speakers slightly lower than the RS-62s, and...wow. The sound just rolls right off the front speakers and onto the surrounds. I have since picked up a second set of RS-7s for my rear surrounds. I'll have the RS-62s up for sale soon.

...you can search the forum for this topic & others. There is a wealth of information gathered through the years.

With respect, there isn't much in there that compares the RC-7 and RC-64II. As technology moves on, and new model lines are introduced, it's good to revisit material in the now.

For many topics Arky is right, click 'Advanced Search' to scour the archives.

Maybe I missed something, but I wouldnt have expected the RC64ii to match with older RF7s anyway. I guess im not suprised nearly as other people in here.

Why would you think they wouldn't match? Fwiw, I tried to get a discussion at AVSForum here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1362462 after I saw several Klipsch posters over there say it was okay to mix and match center channels.

I don't think there was anything wrong with my RC-64 II, i just think my DeanG modded equipment or perhaps the older RF-7's, RC-7s are just in a different league.

Gorm,

After reading this I was lucky enough to find a RC-7 with DeanG upgrade on CL.

I have a RC-64 and can't wait to see what the RC-7 does for my system.

Older series vs. newer series etc....

I'm assuming the rc7 is voice matched to that series.

Maybe I missed something, but I wouldnt have expected the RC64ii to match with older RF7s anyway. I guess im not suprised nearly as other people in here.

Why would you think they wouldn't match? Fwiw, I tried to get a discussion at AVSForum here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1362462 after I saw several Klipsch posters over there say it was okay to mix and match center channels.

If you RF-7s are not DeanG's then its possible that the RC-7 may seem less bright than the RF-7s. Also, when I get the RC-7 I would pull out the cross over and verify that it is a DeanG.

My front 7's are DeanG just check RC-7 it is a DeanG

After about 15 minutes with this the RC-7 hooked up I believe I will have a black RC-64 for sale soon