Paradigm sub?

GBShade684

I am looking to expand my 2.0 to a 2.1. Have 2 RF-82s and found a PS 1200 on craigslist for $200. Have heard a lot of people like them, some don't. Heard this sub specifically is not very musical, which is okay, right now the only music comes from iTunes or the radio...any thoughts? Below is my setup. Green stars are my 82s. spray paint area is my kitchen which is open to the living room. Living room is 18ft x 10ft x 8ft...

Just found another for $100. May go ahead and pull the trigger...

post-52141-1381966439896_thumb.png

My question for you is what is your goal? The RF 82's are nice speakers and it sounds like you want to put together a home theater. Another questions is what type of avr/amp will be controling the RF 82's and sub? The point I am getting at is system harmony, how every thing will fit together. Please post more Info

If you want to listen to music, why spend your money on a sub that you think is "not very musical"? Look around a bit more, wait until you have a bit more money, and buy a sub that you'll really like. It'll be cheaper in the medium to long run.

BTW, Paradigm makes some really good subs. I've been using a PW-2100 for years and it's all I need in my system. It works well with a pair of JubScalas with big amps pushing them.

Derrick,

I currently have a Pioneer VSX-520-K. Sub would be LFE, cross over @ 100Hz. I do like the 82s, they are my first set of nice home speakers, and when I move from our current rental to a long term solution I plan to keep them as surrounds and upgrade the fronts to ???

Islander,

I don't particularly want them for music, I meant my comment above more as the music I listen to is junk(qualitywise), so I am not that worried about having a sub that is "musical". Right now I just want something to give me a nice rumble without having to crank up my volume. The 82s may rate down to 32Hz, but unless you have them up high they don't produce much...

Emailed the craigslist add on the $100 sub 5 minutes after I saw it. Guess someone beat me to the punch, guy deleted his ad already. Someone jumped before I could. I still think $200 is a decent price, but I can't find many comparisons. None on Ebay, none @ audiogon...any ideas of other websites I can check to start getting a good idea of prices? Still not set on this sub so if you guys know where a good sub could be found for a good price let me know. If I sell my house I have a $400-$600 budget for a new sub. If I don't sell it, well I can keep looking for a $100-$200 steal....

Follow craigslist every morning you can.

I wouldnt be looking for a particular sub in this price range but snag whatever turns up.

A cheap sub is better than no sub if your not ready for the "ultimate" sub. Buy an OK one for a good price and wait for the super sub to show up. Then resell the first.

I found a set of Heresys for $75 each this morning. Waited till 7 am to call. They were sold 5 minutes before I called. :(

Still not set on this sub so if you guys know where a good sub could be found for a good price let me know. If I sell my house I have a $400-$600 budget for a new sub. If I don't sell it, well I can keep looking for a $100-$200 steal....

Maybe contact this seller and see what model Velodyne sub he is selling and see if he will sell it seperately.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/2612667280.html

COMPLETE SURROUND SPEAKER SYSTEM, MB QUART, VELODYNE AND INFINITY - $495 (ST LOUIS)

Date: 2011-10-19, 4:17AM CDT
Reply to: sale-dxhs4-2612667280@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

ONE PAIR OF LIKE NEW MB QUART 600 TOWER SPEAKERS 3 WAY AND VELODYNE 300 WATT 12 INCH POWERED SUBWOOFER, MATCHING MB QUART CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER AND A PAIR IF INFINITY BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS FOR THE REAR CHANNELS.. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR HIGH QUALITY SOUND FOR A GREAT PRICE YOU CANNOT BEAT THIS DEAL. I PAID OVER $3200 FOR THESE SPEAKERS A NUMBER OF YEARS AGO AND NEED TO SELL THEM ASAP. PLEASE CALL WITH ANY QUESTIONS. 314-623-6789 KEVIN I CAN EMAIL YOU PICS AND SPECS ON THE CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER AND THE REAR SPEAKERS IF YOU ARE INTERESTED. MUST SEE AND HEAR TO BELIEVE THIS DEAL. WON'T LAST LONG AT THIS PRICE..

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
image 0 image 1
image 2 image 3

Bill

Anyone have experience with SVS? Would be overkill for my current arrangement, but wouldn't have to worry about upgrading.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/2664593020.html

That is a great speaker, but new MSRP is $899. Seems like $600 is too high IMO. Maybe others would disagree. You can get their new PB12-NSD for $769 ordered directly from SVS.

Anyone have experience with SVS? Would be overkill for my current arrangement, but wouldn't have to worry about upgrading.

That is a great speaker, but new MSRP is $899. Seems like $600 is too high IMO. Maybe others would disagree. You can get their new PB12-NSD for $769 ordered directly from SVS.

Look again, that's a dual driver sub in the pic. I'd ****** it up.

With subs its not only quality (as in HZ, this one claims 18hz) but quantity.

This one has two 12" with 600 watts.

If I recall correctly one of my HT buds has this exact sub. Either that on the one with 2 13" drivers if they make one.

His HT is a converted 2 car garage and it rocks the place. I'd bring cash and go from there.

Remember SVS is internet direct so there is no distribution channel markup.

Look again, that's a dual driver sub in the pic. I'd ****** it up.

You're right, it is an NSD/2. Thanks for correcting me.

Guy with the SVS won't respond, so I guess that isn't an option. Guy with PS 1200 will let it go for $200, that is the front runner right now. Found a PDR-10 for an unknown price, but I bet I could get it for $75. Still checking CL and audiogon every day. I set a text to the guy with the Velodyne sub, still waiting for a response there. Let's just hope this house sale goes through, then I can buy any of them...or all of them!

If you want to listen to music, why spend your money on a sub that you think is "not very musical"? Look around a bit more, wait until you have a bit more money, and buy a sub that you'll really like. It'll be cheaper in the medium to long run.

BTW, Paradigm makes some really good subs. I've been using a PW-2100 for years and it's all I need in my system. It works well with a pair of JubScalas with big amps pushing them.

this is good advice.

another tact is to spend the $100 and listen to the sub, use it as a learning experience. you'll then have a frame of reference, you can assess the comments others make with this addidional experience, then down the road, sell it if you're so inclined.

Gnatnoop,

Taking your advice, I told the $100 sub guy that if he still had it in a couple weeks I would take it. So he let me know that he had the two speakers and sub relisted @ $100. Which the pictures look junky, and they are old and dusty, but still a good deal. So I told him if they were still up in a couple weeks I would shoot him a text. He responds that if they don't sell he is going to throw them away! Of course my response to this is that I can scrape up a little cash now, so better to get something out of them than nothing. Here is his text back, and I quote "Ya I want it gone but I know what its worth and what im asking is good price other option noone gets told just in trash" I want to respond back "Here's your sign..."