S4A Device Compatibility and Issues.

RockOn4Klipsch

This is an attempt to give my initial impressions and thoughts on the recently released S4A headphones by Klipsch. I am a Klipsch enthusiast aswell as an android tinkerer. In this thread I would like to try and keep track of devices with and without compatiability issues.

I recieved my S4A's this afternoon and have ran them through all types of scenarios, with and without issues, I've found some issues that I've been able to resolve and others I will continue to trouble shoot.

I will post unpacking photos at a later date.

The Packaging, is very cool, the bright green and black really demands attentions, I didn't like that I had to destroy the box to open them. This is probably in attempt to thwart counterfeits, so no major complaints. The packaging comes with 3 sizes of tips, small, medium, and large, as well as a pair of double flange tips for a total of 4 tips. A collar clip and a nice storage container.

Construction: The wiring is slim and flexible, so if you like the behind the ear look there's no problem, they could be a little longer for this application if your much taller than 6 foot. I would have liked to see the termination point a little thicker and possibly a right angle termination as it would take up less space in your pocket and is harder to accidentally disconnect.

Initial impressions on sound quality: A good seal is a must on any in-ear type headphone to achieve maximum bass and sound quality. I used the medium ear tip and the double flange. With a good seal these things have a commendable low end while not sacrificing the mids or the high end. I listen to everthing from All that Remains to Dave Brubeck, I've had them in for about 4 hours today with no listening fatigue and no ear pain, which is known to happen when you shove something in your ear. They are light and comfortable.

Now, to discuss the market these were designed for, the Android Operating System: I will list the devices I used as well as the music players on each device. I have not tested these as fully as I will in the coming days but for now here it goes.

First test: HTC Thunderbolt running CM7 (Android ver 2.3.7), this is my main device that will be tested fully with custom software aswell as stock HTC sense. I tested playback with PowerAmp (which I highly recommend), Google Music, WinAmp, Pandora, aswell as the stock music player. There were some hiccups on my part having so many different music players to choose from. They all work as described in the klipsch manual. What I suggest doing first is open "Klipsch Control" , go to "General Settings" and set a default music player, if you are running multiple play back back applications ensure that in each apps respective settings you disable them from opening when a headset is plugged in. If you are using an application by default that doesn't have this as a feature you should choose to "launch app on plugin" (also in General Settings) in the "Klipsch Control" App. Also make sure you go to "Button Settings" and choose "Configure Button Click Speed" as some devices will respond quicker or slower to your commands. You may also assign commands here. I could not get voice commands to work, it did however answer and end calls with the click of the button. Phone call tests were good, everyone said they could hear me loud and clear.

One conern I did come across when switching applications say from PowerAmp (my default player) which uses locally stored media for play back to Pandora, an internet streaming service, the commands from the heaphones will either no longer work or attempt to start the default player.

Second Test: Acer Iconia A500 tablet running Honey Comb (Android 3.2) , Heaphones work as they should but with the inability to use the commands from the "Klipsch Control" App. I will play around some more to see if it's custom software or the compatibility issues with the tablet version of Android.

Third Test: Samsung Fascinate running MIUI (Android 2.3.5) I ran into the same issues with the Iconia (listed above), I had no control of any of the previously tested playback options of the thunderbolt. I did however have the ability to use voice commands on this phone. I could answer phone calls with a click of the button but could not End the call. I seen there was another user having issues with the Samsung Mesmerize, the Mesmerize and the Fascinate are the same phones from different cell phone providers. This could be a compatibility issue with Samsung Galaxy devices. I will test further.

It seems as the software debut for the Klipsch S4A's need a little adjustment for greater compatibility across the board, there are a ton of devices that need to be supported if it's to be considered a fully functional Android accessory. I have great faith that Klipsch will update the "klipsch control" app to support more devices in the near future as issues arise. The price point is perfect for the typical user, a device specific accessory that sounds great.

I will attempt to update and keep track of devices that the S4A's work with aswell as those that have issues, I will not be able to fully verify all accounts but I will keep track as I cruise the various Android forums and the Klipsch forums.

Working Devices:

HTC Thunderbolt

HTC Inspire

Not Fully Functional Devices:

(There could be a hardware incompatibility with Samsung Galaxy S Phones which is unfortunate because they have great DACs by Wolfson)

Acer Iconia A500

Samsung Fascinate

Samsung Mesmerize (possibly the Samsung Captivate)

Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4g Touch

Samsubg Galaxy Epic 4g: Button clicks only Open dialer.

I have now had time to fully check out the S4A. I'm sure I won't hit the level of review quality of the post above, but I'll tell you what I know at this point in time.
(EDIT: I should mention that since I'm alone while driving for my job and alone when I'm working those jobs, I tend to listen quite alot to podcasts\music from a personal player. I've been using various players\phones\earbuds for more than a few years, but of course that in no way makes me an expert, nor do I claim to be one. This is just opinon and observations below).

Packaging:
No doubt, it looks good in the package and it's shame to have to tear it up to get the product out. I always keep my boxes (which is pain, say with KLF-20's) in case I want to re-sell and having a torn up box does no one any good.

Construction:
I have had no issues with the quality of the construction. I could be picky and say that I'd rather have a braided cord rather than rubber, simply because the rubber sticks to itself. Braided won't stick but often has the disadvantage of transmitting noise when the cable is moved or touched. I still like braided better. I detest having to pry these rubber headphone cables apart after being coiled in a case.

I also prefer a 90° strain relief on the plug end, as I find they last longer. I can't explain why, because in theory the straight plugs should experience less stress (especially during a drop, when the straight plug will just pop out) but the 90's last longer in my experience.

Sound Quality:
Ha, all subjective but here goes~
These earbuds sound great if you can get them sealed. They seem very flat to me, with balanced highs and lows. I do admit to loading some wav files which I don't normally do. Naturally, the Klipsch sounded surperb with these music files.
The phone call quality is at the top of the class for me. Not only did my callers sound clear as a bell, but when questioned about my voice quality, they said it was clear and without any echo or boxiness. I also tested this is some noisy enviornments (tho not in wind) and the answer was the same - my voice sounded clear as could be.

Functionality:
This unit has software that needs to be installed on the phone for full functionality. No biggie there.
The unit has one button only that can select one of three functions. Hmmmm.
The biggest deal for me in are the voice commands. I'm finding that it works as described, with some difficulty in the phone recognizing what I've said. I think that's mostly the android system and not the Klipsh unit.
If I were to wish for the world, the Klipsh software would add a "nickname" field to contact lists, so you could use the voice commands to call "mom" instead of "Phoebe Rumplestiltskin". I've created new contacts for now, (have a contact named Mom now) until I can find a better way.

There is one button that can be clicked once, double clicked, or triple clicked for different functions. Each of the three can be assigned different functions relating to music or phone. I've found the single click and the triple click work find.
I cannot get the double click to work!! Very strange. I have not researched this to find out if others are having this problem, nor have I called Klipsch yet. I will figure this out and\or call when I have more time.

Other Stuff:
I like alot of bass in my music and if I didn't have these earbuds "sealed" in my ears, I didn't get adequate bass. This is no different than any other earbud, and so then the issue moves to ease of sealing. These buds don't seal easily, IMO. I did try the diff sizes and as usual, I ended up with a large size and in the case of the Klipsh, the largest size. Even then, I have trouble with sealing and found the upside down or L\R reveresed worked the best for my ears. I've found the best sealing buds to have those contoured rubbers, and am finding the normal "rounds" to be at a disadvantage in this dept.

As a reference only, this is a set that I own, that seal quite well on the first try every time and sound fantastic (but these are for music only, no mic) http://www.squidoo.com/boseearphones

I just purchased a pair of these earbuds to use with my Samsung Galaxy S II. The sound quality is fine, though they seem to give up a bit of upper midrange clarity in exchange for a strongerbottom end. My big problem is the software used in conjunction with thye control button. In a nutshell, it simply does not work on this phone. In fact, it semed to cause problems to the extent that I finally had to delete the app. Very disappointing.

I have seen it written that Klipsch is working on these compatability issues with this phone. I certainly hope it gets resolved soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The galaxy nexus also sounds pretty good to boot. It unfortunately doesn't sport the same quality wolfson dacs as some previous Samsung models.

Overall the functionality of the head phones is mostly there with the gnexus.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Triple click is the main issue.

Yes joe, on all the devices I've tested with the mic works. The issues mainly exist in how the phone and hardware handle the button presses. Beyond that the headphones and mic work fine. I can't recall any device that doesn't handle the button press to answer and end a call, however, don't base your purchase on my words alone. I've only used the mic on occasion, the sound quality is quite good given their price point.

Yes joe, on all the devices I've tested with the mic works. The issues mainly exist in how the phone and hardware handle the button presses. Beyond that the headphones and mic work fine. I can't recall any device that doesn't handle the button press to answer and end a call, however, don't base your purchase on my words alone. I've only used the mic on occasion, the sound quality is quite good given their price point.

Great! thanks for the info Rock [:)]. but on the other hand am thinking i'll instead switch to S4i and use it to my Galaxy S2..i read some reviews that the volume doesn't work but the mic is ok and earphone on android phones and same goes to Samsung Galaxy S2 (how true is this?)..volume button is not a really a big deal to me as long the mic and middle button works and same sound quality of course. [:D] pls advice.. it's just that there's no store here to test the actual unit ,i only rely on reading some reviews and comments.

i do appreciate the opinion of others. thanks and regards

• 4 weeks later...

You say that Winamp works with the control app and that the HTC Inspire works as well, but I am having troubles with Klipsch saying Winamp isn't compatible. My device is the Inspire and my default app is Winamp, and I want this to work badly. Any help is better than no help and is greatly appreciated.