the most relaxing song ever

Daddy Dee

Those who have enjoyed John Cage’s 4’33” (three short movements of total silence) may just take issue with that.

Reminds me of a clipping posted on the bulletin board of Campbell Hall (music) at Southern State College when I was going there in the late sixties. 4:33 had just come out and someone asked Stravinsky for his opinion:

"His best work ever! One can only pray that his silences will grow ever longer and more profound..."

Still gives me a chuckle...

Spent some time with Cage when he did a performance at the University of North Texas in about 1980. Very fascinating individual.

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Bluemars.org has a shoutcast station called cryosleep...

Here is another streaming source called Sleepbot. My brother showed me this with this advice:

Click "Connect" or "Live Broadcast" and open up the Playlist (PLS) file. I use Mediamonkey for that, but there is also a quick paragraph below on Audio Player Setup for other players.

i take EXCEPTION to this post, i'm listening to this song now and there is no z zz zzzzzzzzzzz........

I was readinhgd thuus post and lstning and hvkfn loah............

Whoa!! Just woke up and what a power nap!! Thanks guys for the links!!!

Big Smile

whew! 3 month nap, here. i reread my post and it was intending to read that i nodded off during my "exception" post [:D] not sure it was taken that way though...

Dee

What an interesting subject! And what a surprise to see two of my favorite composers, Erik Satie and Brian Eno in the same thread! Eno's Ambient series has captivted me for years -- it still does. His "Music For Airports" is fascinating.

...hope that Old Baldwin is still glowing.

erik

Being one who plays, I find myself listening intently to the arrangement or the musicianship, or the composition/songwriting or the craft of recording or the reproduction of the equipment to the extent that I cannot rest/fall asleep while listening to music. I have to turn it off to be in a restful state.

When I am going home from a particularly harrowing night in my little Level-I trauma center enclave (like last April when a significant part of our world got blown away down here), I like to listen to ZZ Top...oddly, I find that relaxing.

Obviously not everyone's cup of tea.

Best to all, Chuck

Since it's playing in my head anyway...

"Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring"

Perhaps the most perfect composition ever. It doesn't start, it ALWAYS playing...you just join it for a while. Whilst within, you flow amongst the endless galaxies and see the motion of the expanding universe. You don't really see God, as even the transcendent state you are in is still so far from His timelessness it's simply impossible, as you are temporal. But you don't have any doubts He surrounds you with love. For an indeterminate time you "taste" the concept of timelessness, and while not an illusion, it also isn't something you are ready for just yet.

Then, you leave it. Your speakers go silent and your mind comes gently to rest...but you know it's still playing.

It is very often my last music for the night, as it is a very tough act to follow.

Dave

Perhaps a bit off the beaten path, but this tune always makes me smile. I think one needs to have listened to it a few dozen times first, but somewhere along the way it just hooks you in and I never grow tired of it. Slightly upbeat, yet oddly cathartic.

"I think it's going to work out fine" It's on - Bop Till You Drop.

• 5 years later...