the most relaxing song ever

Daddy Dee

I dunno. does sound nice. Some sort of scientific measures for making the judgement.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/telegraph-view/8830789/Send-you-to-sleep-sound.html

It sounds as though sleepless nights could be a thing of the past, thanks to Marconi Union, a musical trio from Manchester. They have created a song they call Weightless which has become, officially, the most relaxing song ever. That is the verdict of the boffins who say that its sustaining rhythm, the harmonic intervals, the absence of a repeated melody and the use of “whooshing sounds and hums” all combine to make the perfect aural narcoleptic. It is so effective that drivers are being warned not to put it on the car stereo. Lest you think the relaxation quotient of a song is in the ear of the beholder, the scientists say otherwise, claiming with admirable precision that Weightless is 11 per cent more soporific than any other song. Those who have enjoyed John Cage’s 4’33” (three short movements of total silence) may just take issue with that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CySNhHVAokQ

gobs of links on youtube for the track. anyone have any suggestions for other tunes to make the claim. I'm more partial to some native american flute melodies. Pretty sweet stuff.

Thanks for the link. I like minimal (leaning to dark) ambient and this fits in there well.

It's great to chill out and relax to a whole album of good ambient.

Brian Eno's On Land album is wonderful.

Another one at the top of the heap is Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Vol II. I bought it close to its release date and it's still very fresh whenever I listen. With some songs you need to have the lights on. There are no song titles in the liner notes. They can be researched and found online, but I'd rather not know their names. I don't want these songs to have titles attached. That way they remain timeless to me. If this sounds crazy, I guess sign me up.

Other highly recommended:

Terre Thaemlitz - Soil.

Bill Laswell and Terre Thaemlitz made a three song album together called Web.

When I'm stressed and need to relax I'm more inclined to listen to something like this

Hendrix rules, absolutely! His version of 'Born Under A Bad Sign' always helps chill me out.

New age music just makes me nervous waiting for someyhing to happen (that never does).

I respect that. Each to his/her own.

anyone have any suggestions for other tunes to make the claim. I'm more partial to some native american flute melodies. Pretty sweet stuff.

The award went to a drone!? - [8]

Kinda easy to declare a drone relaxing...but how about a melody instead? [:D]

Most relaxing drone I've experienced would have to be Aloof Proof's "Ghost Ship"....has put me too sleep 100% of the times I've dropped it in.

http://www.aloofproof.com/samples/GhostShip.mp3

Thoughts?

Bluemars.org has a shoutcast station called cryosleep...

Thanks for this one! So, I'm plugged into the stream as I'm surfing around, 20 minutes in and it starts playing a melody I know I've heard before. So I check the que, and sure enough they're playing stuff from Liquid Mind, of which an album I happen to own. Definitely mind-melting territory.