We've all heard it all before...

fini

Get a colonoscopy at 50 years old...The worst part is the "prep"...Colonoscopies can prevent cancer. Turns out it's all good advice, all true. Well, I had my first one last week (at age 56!), and yes, the prep is indeed the worst part (that crap tastes terrible). The rest is, well, restful. Not painful, not embarassing. Going into it, I knew these were, or would be, true. The last one, about colonoscopies preventing cancer, I didn't understand. I thought they meant they could catch cancers early, and be able to treat them in early stages. But no, they can really prevent cancer.

After the procedure, the doctor came into the recovery room and told me that they found and removed three polyps, and that they would be sent off to the lab. He also mentioned I was cancer-free (a good thing). A few days later I got a call from the doc's office. One of the polyps had pre-cancerous cells which, if not removed, can become cancerous (after many years). So, with this simple exam, the doctor may have indeed prevented cancer from developing in my colon! As you might imagine, I felt pretty good about all this.

After an "all clear" exam, generally they want to see you in another 10 years. In my situation, they want me back in 5 years. No problemo. I now understand how important it is.

And of course, I recommend this procedure to all of you guys over 50. It's real important. I understand colon cancer is a lot worse than drinking some bad-tasting bowel prep.

The best part about my colonoscopy(besides being cancer free) was the meal of pulled pork and Memphis dry rub ribs from Wildsides at Lake Eola(Orlando) that I had after my procedure. All that colon cleansing just to start eating crappy again.[+o(] 36 hours of fasting(involuntarily) can be really cruel. I am sure I shocked my digestive tract pretty good.

But seriously, the procedure was a breeze and it is highly recommended. I had a scare(at 46) that prompted me to have it done and now I don't fear it at all. I will do again in 3 years when I am 50.

Bill

My father had colon cancer in 1980 when he was 35. I was 5 years old. He had part of his colon removed and has been cancer free ever since. [Y]

Because of that history, I was told to have regular colonoscopies starting at 30. I agree totally, the laxative given isn't the most fun (don't stray far from a toilet), but the rest is fine. Here is the laxative perscribed to me: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000087/

I love the euphemism they give it, Golytely. Such a gentle term when you're really blasting everything! You can get flavor packs to help give it a taste, orange, lemon, whatever. It helps slightly.

The drugs given just before the procedure acted quick. I remember everything visually getting very far away. I tried to ask a question about the drugs as they were given, but had a real hard time speaking the words I was thinking in my head. There was no nausea afterward, just a little tired. After relaxing the rest of the day I was back to 'normal'. It feels kinda good knowing your innards are empty and at zero.

Been there... Done that... Didn't get a tee-shirt. [:D]

Colon cancer is a really BIG deal in my family. My maternal grandmother died from it when my mother was 12. You can imagine the indoctrination that I and my 3 siblings have received all of our lives.

So far at 53 I've been clean (and VERY empty) after each experience. If medical science could just figure out how to incorporate the day before crap in beer or make it taste like good scotch the prep would be much more enjoyable.

Of course I don't think it's any worse than the crap you have to drink when they're doing an "upper GI". Can you say liquid chalk? BLECH!!!

well, you guys convinced me....I have been ducking the proceedure for a few years....now age 53....main reason for ducking it is I'm one of theose folks that pass out at the smell of a band aid or the rubbing alcohol used to prep an area for blood work.

well, you guys convinced me....I have been ducking the proceedure for a few years....now age 53....main reason for ducking it is I'm one of theose folks that pass out at the smell of a band aid or the rubbing alcohol used to prep an area for blood work.

Good for you! Have your doc prescribe some anti-anxiety meds to take beforehand. Have enough Valium and you'll feel like you could do the colonoscopy all by yourself. Seriously, if that's what it takes to get you to go do it, I'm sure the doc will have no problem prescribing it.

Good for you! Have your doc prescribe some anti-anxiety meds to take beforehand. Have enough Valium and you'll feel like you could do the colonoscopy all by yourself. Seriously, if that's what it takes to get you to go do it, I'm sure the doc will have no problem prescribing it.

Excellent - you'll be glad you did it! Good idea with the Valium, fini.

Fritz, you'll need someone to drive you home afterward, Valium or no.

Now keep this momentum going and make the call....get it scheduled.

had mine a couple of years ago before i was even 50 (due to some other gastro issues). One tiny polyp removed--non-cancer. i lucked out as i didn't have to drink any magic potion. doctor gave me some horse pills to take every 15 minutes or 30 minutes over a two hour period the night before. It cleaned me out; but, i can say that drinking a glass of water each time was tough--after a while, water starts to taste bad. not sure which is worse...all that water or the liquid chalk. Day of the procedure, they gave me an iv of something and i was out within a minute--woke up when it was all over.

36 hours of fasting

Really, that would be the hardest part for me, considering I don't want to think about the actual procedure.

Never had one yet.

I only fasted for a day. Actually had a regular breakfast the day before, with clear liquids (beef broth, soda, jello, etc.) the rest of the day. I could have really caused a stir by eating fresh beets...

36 hours of fasting

Really, that would be the hardest part for me, considering I don't want to think about the actual procedure.

Never had one yet.

I only fasted for a day. Actually had a regular breakfast the day before, with clear liquids (beef broth, soda, jello, etc.) the rest of the day. I could have really caused a stir by eating fresh beets...

Did we ever find out what the Japanese girl thought about the beets?