Icon W not discontinued? Subxeros Spontaneous Purchase!!!!

SuBXeRo

I just noticed that the Icon W series is not in the discontinued section anymore, they still producing them?

newegg.com exclusive right now (someone must have picked up a sales contract). WF-35s on sale for $299.00 each this weekend! I just moved mine out of my living room HT and into my 2-channel listening room. Reviews and pics to come...absolutely fantastic speakers by the way.

omg, i think i might pull the trigger, i thought they sounded good for 2 channel listening i dont have a place for them right now but uhhhh thats a smokin deal and i have the money for it too. damn i want the bookshelfs too as i think they would work for my computer speakers, holy deals batman!!!

im weak, i pulled the trigger, i couldnt not do it, i have been looking at their beauty for a long time and klipsch is out of rf-5 classics and i this is a great deal for some good 2-channel listening. Some what shaking, what a compulsive buy but it was worth it i think, yay!!!!

I think you just violated your speaker motto! Indifferent

LOL...He threw it to the ground and spit in it's face!

Actually, I know sub has contemplated purchasing the WF-35s off and on for a while, and with them being NIB, shipped to your door at 60% off from a Klipsch approved retailer he just knew it was time. It will be hard not to get his money back on reale if he decides theey are a pass.

You are quite correct, i heard them at bestbuy about two years ago and i thought they sounded very clean and crisp from what i remember but needed a sub. To clarify, i got the WF-35's. I could never justify buying them at their full retail price because of the price/performance ratio, the rf-82's blow them away in that category and are cheaper. My intertest in the WF-35's has always been with their fine design aesthetics and clarity of sound. The RF-5's had great depth of sound in both vocal and bass capabilities but the Icon W series has a bit of a different sound to it that i also like. Yes they will eventually need a sub but i want to see how they sound just stand alone in my my own home.

With that said, the price here was just too good to pass up. I sold my heresys and kept money from that sale so i have about $400 of what i need and i am selling a pair of rs-3 II's on craigslist which should cover the rest of the purchase. It was completely an impulse buy and was not expecting to buy them but i did my research for a while and i have been contemplating a future 2 channel setup that may or may not have been klipsch. Well, fate has given my 2 WF-35's to work with and i think i am going to be extremely happy with them. I am also taking advantage of my ability to buy them now as saving for a car and house etc will be coming up very soon as soon as i score a job (again, this is money i have already previously allocated to audio so i rinse and reuse). I don't have a place to put them yet but i can always find room, i moved home with my father and i have my bedroom basically which already has 2 RB-5's on my dresser and those will eventually be added to my 5.2 rf-7 setup as rear channels.

Powering these new towers will most likely be my Rotel RX-1052. The receiver is great, it does need to go to rotel though to be fixed. The volume knob is jumpy when you change the volume via the knob, it also has alot of static when you first plug it in and turn it on, it runs hot when in standby and makes a humming noise after it has been on anywhere from a day to a few days. I spoke to a guy at rotel and he says he knows a couple of the issues but that some like the humming and static have to be looked at more closely. He said its $200 + $150 + additional, basically $200 just to look at it, preauthorization to do work up to $150 and if its anything over that they ask you if you would like them to continue. Its something that has to be done in time, for now it still works well i just have to turn it off fully and treat it special for now.

Congrats again! I've been jacking around with the 35s, in my less than ideal listening room, at around 80 db's. The detail and separation is phenomenal. The soundstage is good, but not very large (partially due to my room constraints). The 82s have a higher degree of dynamics and larger soundstage...and of course they trounce the Icons in the bass department, however, I did notice that with the proper placement and the slightest EQ that I can generate fast, tight bass near 40 Hz at the MLP. Off axis, the bass completely disappears, up in the 80-90 Hz range, but when centered I have beautifully detailed music 40-20K Hz.

bass is funny like that, i would assume though that with the ports and a rear wall close by itshould help to evenly distribute the bass some more, i am eager to try them out. Most of listening for music is low level except when i take a shower and i turn it up loud so i can hear it. I still have my power hngry rf-7 system to satisfy my earsplitting bass hurling volumes

Congrats on the buy. I love my WF-35s. What finish did you get? They are both beautiful. These speakers really do sound amazing. I also love the matching subwoofer to this series. The xw-500d is tight, controller and powerful without that boomy sound that vented subs give you.

i got the espresso finish on it, it matches now and should match in thhe future any furniture that i have better than the cabernet finish. Im excited to pit them agaisnt the rb-5's that i have since they have similar frequency extension.

I have heard the subs from that series and i thought they were excellent. The 8" sub was fantastic for its size and really peaked y nterest, i am sorry to seee that they only made them for a year-2years or so.

Nice speakers, when I first read about the Icon Series, Klipsch's describe the W series as classic beauty with great performance. The Icon X was said to be contempory beauty and great performance and the V series as value driven performance. Due to the size of the Icon series, subs are needed to help get the full range of bass. Enjoy their sound and visual presence!

as far as full range goes, once they get muddy because of bass is when they are not as awesome to me anymore. I enjoy a speaker that can go louder and not distort at all then i will ever care to hear them at, i suppose this is one of my pet peevs. I almost wish they didnt have the depth they do to prevent the muddyness. I am also all for precise freq cutoffs like on the emo stereo pre or like on avr's that allow you to cut it off at a certain freq, regular stereo receivers like my HK and rotel dont lend me these options just the bass knob. Bass know just reduces the the amplitude right?

i have noticed it with my speakers in the middle of the floor, its just with some stuff i notice it with, it could be source quality too. I am also thinking i am used to and trying to compare them to 8" models with the thunderous bass and is something i am seeking but obviously cant and wont get with these.

Well, source quality could certainly be an issue. I only run ALAC through my receiver. Also, I know you listen to a lot of electronic music, and while the Icon Ws do fine, I do prefer my Reference set-up for that genre as well as for any "garagey" raw rock music (sleigh bells come immediately to mind). The brighter dynamics and heavy low-end load is much more pleasing when listening to Radiohead, for example. I just can't get my Reference gear to do proper justice to other artists I enjoy such as Ben Folds, Fiona Appel, and Adel. Accoustics and strings really light up in detailed mids of the Ws.

I am also thinking i am used to and trying to compare them to 8" models with the thunderous bass

Yeah, these speakers just aren't going to compete there, and although I think you knew that going in, it's a big suprise that they can go as deep as they do. Nothing a punchy 10" sub can't correct though.

I am also all for precise freq cutoffs like on the emo stereo pre or like on avr's that allow you to cut it off at a certain freq, regular stereo receivers like my HK and rotel dont lend me these options just the bass knob. Bass know just reduces the the amplitude right?

Yeah, your bass knob will just reduce the amps to the speakers. I don't have any experience with an EQ, but that might be the ticket. The Rotel and HK should be very good matches for these speakers. Slightly warm, good low end reproduction, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to post a little follow-up to my listening experience with the Icon Ws. After having them running for several hours a day over the past week, the left channel on my 30 year old 38 wpc Marantz crapped out. I'll be taking it into the shop this week to have it fixed. It the mean time, I've been running a 5.1 channel 150 wpc Pioneer that is about 20 years old and runs using the original Pro Logic decoding. Since I'm running it in stereo, no biggie. Anyway, the bass thinned out dramatically and I had to reposition my speakers a little closer to the rear wall. Sure enough, my bass got boomy! I've run these on a 140 wpc Yamy, 110 wpc Onkyo, and the Onkyo plus Marantz Monoblocks. The bass was never competitive versus Reference, but always clean and clear. The Marantz 2-channel really brought them to a new level with the warmth of the receiver. Now I'm forced to use a good receiver that doesn't have warmth or room correction software and blah! Very mediocre with an occasional out-of-control bass line.

Anyway, I just thought that this experience was pertinent to the rest of the thread.

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up a pair of these from newegg that arrived tonight. Since i already have a completed 5.1 setup with rf-7 ii's i was planning to put these on craigslist and never even open the boxes. But after reading a handful of reviews tonight i might just have to pull these things out to see what they are made of... With some light googling i haven't found anything short of great reviews all over.

Anyway, if i decide that i don't want to keep them (or can't find room for them) I'll post them on here as well in case someone in the western IL area is looking for a pair.