New Home Audio System: RF-7 originals?

bfjones01

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but wanted some opinions on an audio system for the living room of my new apartment (room dimensions officially 14.5x12.9 but there is no partition to the kitchen area). Since it's an apartment, I won't be playing the system too loud. Clarity and quality of sound is my biggest priority. I have a blank slate here...what should I do?

I've found a pair of immaculate original RF-7s for sale close by. Price is listed at $900 for the set, but I'd like to see if I could get them for $800. Would this be a solid pick up, or is it better to go in a different direction? What receiver would complement this pair nicely? I've heard the horns can be a little bright. Would I need an amplifier?

If the RF-7s are a bad idea for this space, what else would work? I'm going to be combing the used market for deals, but I'd like some opinions as to what to look out for.

Thanks very much for your time.

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums.

Clarity and quality of sound is my biggest priority.

I have owned two pair of RF-7's and they are fantastic speakers and definitely provide clarity and quality.

I've found a pair of immaculate original RF-7s for sale close by. Price is listed at $900 for the set, but I'd like to see if I could get them for $800.

I would definitely offer them less. I picked up the pair in my signature for a steal. So much so, I was willing to drive 1.5 hours one way to get them. The deals are out there and lots of people need the cash.

What receiver would complement this pair nicely? I've heard the horns can be a little bright. Would I need an amplifier?

Depends on which you do more of, Music or Movies. For movies, Onkyo, Denon or Yamaha will work great. For Music, NAD, Harman Kardon and Marantz would be good options. I would not worry about an amp at this point until you move out to your own place and won't disturb the neighbors. You can drive the RF-7's with just about any receiver due to their efficiency. I had a 55 watt x 5 Harman Kardon that would blast you out of the room with my RF-83's and they are similar in specs to the RF-7.

If the RF-7s are a bad idea for this space, what else would work?

The more space you give them, the better they will sound. But they will sound fine in your setup.

Guest davidness

I agree: If you get a chance to go pick up a pair of RF-7's, get them. Check the cones for dimples and dents, and make certain they work. They are huge, but the best investment I've ever made (in home audio).

Guest davidness

I picked up the pair in my signature for a steal. So much so, I was willing to drive 1.5 hours one way to get them.

Yeah, I remember that one, Youthman. They were only 5 minutes away from me, but Youthman still beat me to them! ;)

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but wanted some opinions on an audio system for the living room of my new apartment (room dimensions officially 14.5x12.9 but there is no partition to the kitchen area). Since it's an apartment, I won't be playing the system too loud. Clarity and quality of sound is my biggest priority. I have a blank slate here...what should I do?

I've found a pair of immaculate original RF-7s for sale close by. Price is listed at $900 for the set, but I'd like to see if I could get them for $800. Would this be a solid pick up, or is it better to go in a different direction? What receiver would complement this pair nicely? I've heard the horns can be a little bright. Would I need an amplifier?

If the RF-7s are a bad idea for this space, what else would work? I'm going to be combing the used market for deals, but I'd like some opinions as to what to look out for.

Thanks very much for your time.

My old apt was around the size of yours and i had my rf-7s in there. My $0.02 is that you should get them if you plan to be heavy into HT versus 2 channel music listening. The rf-7's need room to breathe for them to sound good and shouldnt be kept butted up against a rear wall. They produce a large soundstage and are excellent for home theater, i love my set so much, they have so much impact and are a great bang for the buck.

For 2 channel they are great at higher volumes, at low level they leave something to be desired. Befoe i woned them i had RF-5's and i was excited as i had moved up progressively over time from biggert o bigger speaker and thought that the RF-7 would be the pinnacle for both HT and Music but i was wrong, they just dont have the musicality i like for normal volume listening. They can DJ a party and rock the house literally but for soft listening it just isnt there for me. As for brightness, some klipsch speakers can be bright, the older rf-7's tend to be more on the bright side and i can say they are a bit brighter than than the other reference speakers from that time period but not horrible. The best way i can describe the brightness is sharpness and crispness of the sound. Its really not that bad and you know what, if you were to get them and not like them, sell them on craigslist, they will definitly sell, they are highly sought after speakers and you should be able to break even or even profit as long as you dont over pay to begin with.

If you can give us some more info on budget and equipment you already have, that would be great too. You have tons of options out there and we'd like tohelp you whittle down your options.

Alternatives i would heavily suggest a pair of RF-5's as they are extremely versitle for both HT and music alike and are truly unique. A pair of rf-3's are great as well and are usally around 200-300.

• Moderators

Yeah, I remember that one, Youthman. They were only 5 minutes away from me, but Youthman still beat me to them! ;)

Ya gotta be quick to beat Youthman. LOL. I probably won't ever see that sweet of a deal on a pair of RF-7's in fantastic shape again. I'll likely give them to my son when he moves out (long time down the road) but who knows, I might end up keeping them for myself and making a 2ch listening room out of his bedroom. [:P]

Thanks for the responses thus far.

In terms of existing equipment, I don't have a thing. I just graduated from college, am moving into a new place, and am putting all the pieces together from scratch. I figure I can either go cheap and buy something I'm going to want to upgrade later, or I can make an investment in something that's going to last me a long, long time. I'm leaning toward the latter.

My budget at the moment is in the $1200-1300 range for all the componentry. I was thinking I could get the pair of RF-7s and spend the rest on a nice receiver to drive them. A 2.1 setup is fine for now (or probably a 2.nothing if I go with the RF-7s), but I'll eventually branch out into a 5 or 7 speaker surround system with a sub if needed. In terms of usage, it'll probably be split 50/50 between TV/Movies and music. I write for a music publication in my spare time, so having something that plays the full spectrum, and plays it as it was meant to be heard, is important.

I do have this apartment right now, but I want to be able to take the system with me and have it function in a larger area as my means (hopefully) increase. I was thinking this was a good place to start, but I know so little that I'm open to anything at the moment.

I think some RF-7s would be a great place to start! I'm jealous as I've been out of college for 8 years and I haven't worked my way up to RF-7s yet (although I do have a ton of speakers in my house). Paired with a musical receiver 7 channel receiver, those will be wonderful for 2-channel and a good start for movies. One thing to remember is that if you go this route and want to add to it later, you will most likely be looking for used Reference gear in the future. Shouldn't be a problem as there is a lot to go around you just have to be patient.

If I were in your shoes, unless the 7s were 100% mint, I'd try and get them for $700-750, though $800 isn't out of the question.

With the money left over for a receiver, I'd look to an HK 3600 which I think can be had for $500.00ish and a $150.00 BRD player. That should do your sound system proud.

I have been out of college for almost 2 years and i bought my gear when i wasin an apt knowing that eventually id be in a house. RF-7 gear is hard to get a hold of as its less common the rest of the klipsch lines, you may have some trouble piecing together matching components in the future, none the less if you have time and can stash away money, keep your eyes peeled. Pickup an rc-7 asap as your front 3 speakers are the most vital in a home theater setup.

In an apt, i wouldnt get a sub unless your neighbors are extremely understanding or you have the ultimate best sound damping in the wall, bass will travel. As is, you may have to chop off some of the low end to not bother people. If you buy a multichannel AVR and run it in stereo, you should have some decent juice to push the rf-7's as long as you buy a decent avr. When you start running multiple channels, you may have to, well probably should increase the freq cutoff, this will help to reduce the juice sucked down by the rf-7's and help them to perform better. The 7's are power hungry speakers and can have some pretty big impedence dips, optimally you should get an outboard amp at some point.

Keep an eye on on craigslist for rotel, emotiva, parasound, B&K, Marantz, Arcam etc for power amps that are usually a bit older 5-10 years old and you can get them for a great price. As long as you buy a good brand they will usually keep working great for years to come, always test before you buy.