Is it the AL-3 or the squakers ?

mustang guy

Finally got this problem in action for y'all. I'll be posting a video of the subsequent repair as I get done editing and rendering the rest of the footage.

Terrific, outstanding vid!

In your honor:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

An excellent thread. After reading through I found I had this back-cap issue with both K55Ms in my '93 La Scalas - I don't play very loud at all, but I've felt for a while there is perhaps a just little grit to the sound somewhere, I suspect this was it. I was all set to go out and buy some Locktite 380 as recommended, but I think I've actually fixed it in a somewhat lazy and entirely reversible way with some Blu-Tac:

w0rxis.jpg

There's certainly no 'clack' sound anymore when the black plastic caps are tapped, just a dull thud, and I assume it's properly air-tight too. Ok, it's a bit ugly, but who looks round the back of a speaker, especially one that lives in corners?!

Anyone know where I could get a couple of the round rubber gaskets that fit between the driver and horn? I guess they could do with replacing by now.

PS The pillow and rolled-up bubble-wrap is just to stop the cat from jumping in. It seems to like it in there.

Edited by Tony L

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tony, that's very crafty.  :emotion-21: Glad you got in touch with Bob, and that your speakers are already sounding better. He's good people.

Below is a video summarizing the repair of one of my drivers.  :emotion-53:

Thanks for posting this Tom, great info! I foresee doing this in the near future.

You're very welcome.  :emotion-22: 

I have a couple more brief maintenance-related videos in the works, but will post them in the "La Scala Reunion" thread as they don't pertain to the K55M driver.

My only regret here is that I "had" the opportunity to film the speaker playing music both before and after the repair so that we could A/B the change in sound, which would have been really cool.

However, the first shot (before the repair) was heavily corrupted with background noises so much so as to the render the take useless for any comparative purposes.  :(