HELP WITH CHOOSING CORRECT COMPONENTS FOR SYSTEM

tradubois

HI, I HAVE 2 KLIPSCHORNS & 1 BELLE. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP IN SELECTING THE CORRECT AMP & PRE-AMP, AND THE PROPER QUALITY COMPONENTS TO COMPLETE A GREAT SYSTEM. ALSO, CAN YOU HAVE A STEREO SYSTEM AND A HOME THEATRE SYSTEM IN THE SAME UNIT. I SEE MOST OF THE MEMBERS HAVE 2 DIFFERENT SYSTEMS. THANKS FOR ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS.

• Moderators

Welcome, your off to a great start.

There are at least 1000 different combinations and brands, decide on your budget and if your sure you want to go with HT on the same setup also. Not really a problem to combine both especially since you have a good center channel already. When it comes to the budget, figure everything you need included to get it done, you can always do it in stages over time to end up with a better system, most people do.

Depending on budget you could go either with a good HT receiver or separates to have both 2 CH and HT in one.

Since you never said i would think you have 2 good corners for the Khorns, it's a must unless you build false corners.

If you decide to go HT with it you could also post in the HT section, there is more traffic there and you could get possible get more opinions, especially on brands of receivers and separates.

If I were you I would go 2Ch and Ht considering the speakers you have already.

Welcome to the forum and get out your wallet and deposit all of your cash and credit cards on the table now as everyone here will help you spend it in short order! +1 for what dtel said but may I ask what have you been using to listen to these or what have you already heard drive them prior to you buying them. The only way you need multiple systems is if you have a need to have sound in different locations or have a completely dedicated HT room that isn't set up to get comfortable and just listen to music. There is an exception to needing multiple systems even if you don't need them and that would be called the horn flu that you get by hanging around this forum for too long, but don't worry, it can be cured with amps and preamps, subs, turntables and music/video servers.[:P]

Hi, Thanks for the welcome and the info. For now, one location will work. I would like to have a dedicated HT and dedicated amps for 2 channel if that makes sense . I would like to get the best equipment possible tomorrow but my wife might shoot me. I've been collecting bamboo fly rods and concert posters for years and she thinks I'm addicted to them. It looks like a lot of people in this forum have the same problem but in A/V systems & equipment. I have been coming to this site for a month or so and it's amazing to see some of the systems people have. Anyway, I am going to take my time and try a get the right equipment. Thanks for any advice or heads up. By the way, I live in Leland, Ms. up in the delta.

• Moderators

I would like to have a dedicated HT and dedicated amps for 2 channel if that makes sense .

Don't have a dedicated HT room but do have different amps for 2 CH.

Not the best sound quality as it could be for completely separate components but I do what your talking about.

I use a HT receiver for HT and the L & R preouts going to separate amps for 2 CH. This way I can use all the inputs going to the receiver like Satellite and internet radio, Bluray and anything else plugged into the receiver without having completely separate everything.

" I've been collecting bamboo fly rods and concert posters for years and she thinks I'm addicted to them. It looks like a lot of people in this forum have the same problem but in A/V systems & equipment. "

It just looks like a problem, it's just the real normal, really. [Y]

Welcome to the forum, Tra!

I have one system that does both 5.1 Home Theater (HT) and 2-channel stereo. One way to do this to work is to get a pretty good AV Preamp ("AVP") that has something like a "Pure Audio" mode to turn off all the gizmos inside the preamp box that are used to "enhance" the HT experience. The better or best Onkyo AVPs have this mode, as do others. That will actually suffice for the preamp piece of the puzzle (95% solution for both HT and 2-channel).

The amp(s) are more problematic with Khorns and Belle: there are folks here that like tube amplifiers and some that don't. I'm in the crowd of people that don't, however, if you are a tube lover or are willing to put up with expensive tube replacements on a regular basis, then by all means--get tubes. I personally would avoid single-ended triode (SET) tube amps with their high harmonic distortion and very low output power. I'd look for higher power and cleaner push-pull tube amplifiers, if that's the way that you want to go.

If you are looking for solid state (ss) amplifiers, then I'd recommend something that is clean and relatively low cost. I've found that used Crown "D" series amplifiers (D-45, D-75, D-75A) will do the trick since they have very low distortion, sufficient power, and sound good. Used "D" series stereo amps can be found on craigslist and ebay for less than $200 each (~$1000 new) if you watch carefully. These amps are rack-mountable and are easily resold.

The key here is to avoid using an amp that will disappoint you and will also depreciate in value. Once you've gotten your feet on the ground and have gotten your system together, then you can look for higher-priced amplifier(s) for your Khorns or Belle.

Save any boxes that you get, flatten them, and store them in the attic, if possible.

Surround speakers: I'd recommend either another pair (or more) of Klipsch Heritage speakers (i.e., Heresy, Cornwall, La Scala, Belle or even Khorns), or go with the professional line of Klipsch - KPT-1201, KPT-250, KPT-8001, etc. - and not try to integrate the other lines of Klipsch speakers. Why? Because I believe you will be very disappointed if you do. Better to save your money and get something that will work with your Khorns.

Hope some of this helps.

Chris

I would like to get the best equipment possible tomorrow but my wife might shoot me. I've been collecting bamboo fly rods and concert posters for years and she thinks I'm addicted to them. It looks like a lot of people in this forum have the same problem but in A/V systems & equipment.

Gotta watch those hijacked dopamine channels.

I use the same basic system for 2 Channel and Home Theater, in the same room. An advantage in doing this is that SACDs can be played in multi-channel, since there are more than 2 channels in the room. Even some ordinary CDs can be improved switching in my Lexicon and employing the surround speakers. I use Klipschorns for the Front R & L, a Belle Klipsch for the Center (occasionaly turned on for CDs, if they happen to need it, or for off axis listening == see PWK's articles on "Wide Stage Sterreo" in the Dope from Hope, linked somewhere on this forum) and Heresy IIs for surround. The system is quite dynamically exciting.

I have separate systems, but I'm with Cask05.

I have the Onkyo flagship model AVR set up for 7.2. I have a separate 5-channel amp, and the rear channels are powered by the AVR since they are the least demanding. The AVR can be put in stereo mode for just about any source you throw at it. That means that only my front L and R and the 2 subs are active when I listen to music.

The problem I had was SPL. If I wanted to crank it and roam about the house, it wasn't really working out well, so I got a separate system just for that purpose. I think I was limited by the AVR. Reference level is reference level. With the separate system, I am only limited by the capabilities of my speakers (see my blown RF-83 thread), but it can get so much louder than my HT setup in stereo mode.

For music enjoyment, when I'm relaxing and kicked back, I still prefer the HT in stereo mode. And like dtel said in a previous post, you could run a pair of amps off a stereo line out for stereo music, but I prefer to just use the same 5-channel I use for HT and let the AVR send the stereo signal to it. Fewer components involved to accomplish the goal.

I can't help. But I do like changing stereos around and trying different systems. Currently listening to Marantz 4270 Quadradial 4. Seems it sounds the best of the old stuff I've tried upstairs. The big plus is SW THINKS SMBO Likes this system. Khorns and tube system in another room.

Beware of the addiction that can come from surfing this site. I love the old stereo's from the 70's, most.

Have pet Tasmanian Devil on guard duty! [6] Officer at work drooled all over himself just looking at pictures.A Tasmanian devil with a white horizontal stripe under its neck, standing in scrub and dead leaves, with its jaw wide open and head tilted slightly upwardsimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZQpji5TKjOzC_9a__lLE

Opps! Back to helping this Gentleman spend his $$$$ on stereo equip.