Oppo BDP-95

BE36

Many others will disagree with me, but here is MY take;

I just got one a couple weeks ago. I have it hooked up via HDMI and I tried to get the 8 analog RCA connnections to function along with my Onkyo 886. I had issues trying to get the pure RCA connections to function, but the I was able to get the left and right outputs to work.

Going between my 25 year old Denon DCD-1500, a 8 year old Sony 400 mega CD changer (with SACD capability) and the Oppo 95, I thought the 95 did sound minutely better than either of the other two. And I stress the word minutely. If I were to use the Oppo as a benchmark score of 10, I would give my Denon a 9.8 and the Sony a 9.6.

My opinion is that it was not worth $1000 to me, but that is my personal belief. Oppo has a great return policy and I will be sending it back.

I already have a PS3 for Blu Ray, and in my younger years I enjoyed music more than TV. But now with HDTV I spend 95% of my free time watching TV and or DVDs. I just could not justify $1000.

I will give kudos to Oppo for building a very nice piece of electronics, and great customer service trying to help me get the 8 RCA connections to function properly, and I still dont know why the Onkyo wont accept the 8 RCA connections (I was able to get multi- channel soundover HDMI) and it did sound very good. But again, it just was not worth $1000 to me.

Good luck :)

From what you said you probably should have gone with the Oppo-93 since movies and dvds are your main focus. The Oppo 95 is more for people wanting better sound quality than the 93. A magazine review of the 95 vs the 93 said in his audio/video system the 95 did not sound that much better than the 93.

When he moved the 95/93 to his music system the 95 sounded much better than the 93. The 93 sounded very good but the quality sound system let him hear the differences better.

I have returned equipment that got excellent reviews but just did not have the synergy in my system. They sounded good but not any better than equipment I already had. So in your case I would return the 95 also.

When the 93 came out I ordered it but canceled my order because I had a working PS3 and my Denon 2900 was working for SACDs & DVD Audio and I could not justify the extra $500.

However I have about 50-60 SACDs & DVD Audio and my Denon 2900 is not working and the PS3 technology is about 3 + years old with out 3D(not to sure 3D is very important but I have not played with) so with any Christmas money I get I probably will get one.

sometimes you have to try equipment to see if it works in your system.

I went with the BDP-93, and am very satisfied. I am connected to my preamp with hdmi, as it has a better DAC than the 93. In fact the reason I bought the 93 and not the 95 was specifically because I already had a very good DAC, and that is the difference in the two models. My Integra DHC-80.3 has six 192K/32 bit Burr Brown DACS.

I have had 3 other blue ray players, and this one loads way faster than any of those. That was the main reason I chose Oppo.

I recommend it.

JBSL;

Maybe you typed it wrong, but the PS3 DOES do 3D, however my TV does not support it. I use my PS3 mostly for movies (including Netflix), a little bit of gaming (Tiger Woods golf 12 and Uncharted 2), but it DOES NOT sound good playing CDs.

I am returning the 95, and I will be ordering a new 93 instead. I want another Blu Ray player and a "newer" CD player as my Denon is old and my Jukebox is getting full :)

I am also considering the Oppo 93 ($500ish), and am wondering if there is a better BR machine choice in that price area. Not so much a concern regarding analog, but want the best video performance for both BR and 480 DVD. I like the fact that the 93 seems to play just about every disc format out there, and it seems to garner very good reviews on the video (especially WRT scaling).

I am also considering

the Oppo 93 ($500ish), and am wondering if there is a better BR machine choice

in that price area.... and it seems to garner very good reviews on the video

(especially WRT scaling).

I'm in the same boat as you... and when it comes to video, I've

been reading the exact same thing with respect to it's scaling. I've been putting it off, but it does seem to

be the facto in blu-ray players at the moment... have you been looking at any others?

And as far as I know, the difference with the 95 are the upgrades

to the analog audio side of things ...

ROb

Normal 0

I am also considering the Oppo 93 ($500ish), and am wondering if there is a better BR machine choice in that price area.... and it seems to garner very good reviews on the video (especially WRT scaling).

I'm in the same boat as you... and when it comes to video, I've been reading the exact same thing with respect to it's scaling. I've been putting it off, but it does seem to be the facto in blu-ray players at the moment... have you been looking at any others?

And as far as I know, the difference with the 95 are the upgrades to the analog audio side of things ...

ROb

You are right, the difference in the 93 and the 95 is the DA converter. If you have a decent DAC in your pre or avr, then why spend the extra $500. IMO, preamps and avr's are betting better DAC's all the time, and if you upgrade your preamp or avr, all the sudden you wasted $500.

Normal

I am also considering

been reading the exact same thing with respect to it's scaling. I've been putting it off, but it does seem to
be the facto in blu-ray players at the moment... have you been looking at any others?

ROb

I have not been looking TOO seriously at many others.....possibly the new Pioneer higher end machines, but again as they are new there's not much out there yet on them. There's all kinds of $200 and under stuff, but I want a serious machine that's going to make the best of my display and titles.

Normal

I am also considering

ROb

I have not been looking TOO seriously at many others.....possibly the new Pioneer higher end machines, but again as they are new there's not much out there yet on them. There's all kinds of $200 and under stuff, but I want a serious machine that's going to make the best of my display and titles.

Is there lots of video processing going on if you are not displaying legacy content like DVD? The Bluray audio bits are sent as-is to the receiver for decoding, so I assume that the 1080p video bits are being sent as-is (unless you overlay a menu by pressing a button) to the display. What makes this better than a $200 unit that can get the bits off the BD disk?

Normal 0

I am also considering the Oppo 93 ($500ish), and am wondering if there is a better BR machine choice in that price area.... and it seems to garner very good reviews on the video (especially WRT scaling).

I'm in the same boat as you... and when it comes to video, I've been reading the exact same thing with respect to it's scaling. I've been putting it off, but it does seem to be the facto in blu-ray players at the moment... have you been looking at any others?

And as far as I know, the difference with the 95 are the upgrades to the analog audio side of things ...

ROb

Is there lots of video processing going on if you are not displaying legacy content like DVD? The Bluray audio bits are sent as-is to the receiver for decoding, so I assume that the 1080p video bits are being sent as-is (unless you overlay a menu by pressing a button) to the display. What makes this better than a $200 unit that can get the bits off the BD disk?

SADC/DVDA, load speed, quality of components, remote, settings adjustments to the EXTREME (for instance there are 7 pages in the manual of the video adjustments alone) in other words not sent as-is. I could go on, but it would be much easier for you to just look at the manual for the BDP-93.

My understanding is there won't be a big difference with BD performance... It's major advantages lie I the way it handles non bluray material... Such as upscaling DVDs , or playing other files (flac, mkv, etc...). It also has analog outputs (discontinued/banned on all 2011 models) for those who are using older processors...

Like myself at the moment... DVDs 6 channel input and HDMI straight to the projector...ROb

Normal 0

ROb

SADC/DVDA, load speed, quality of components, remote, settings adjustments to the EXTREME (for instance there are 7 pages in the manual of the video adjustments alone) in other words not sent as-is. I could go on, but it would be much easier for you to just look at the manual for the BDP-93.

I'm getting one of these so I won't need a receiver.

Direct connect to the TV via hdmi

Direct connect to the Ashly NE8800 for the audio and I will configure as 4.1 remix centre into left and right Jubilee, 36"wide Tuba HT LP in rear left corner of room, Heresy inverted centre ceiling rear reflecting off side walls, is the plan.

The 95 has a pair of DAC for the main L&R xlr outs and another pair for the other 8 RCA outs. It can re-direct the 7.1 into whatever config you want.

The 95 can do all the alignment an Integra 80.2 can do.

I can connect my existing 2 channel into 2 inputs of the Ashly NE8800.

That should work just fine rodrocket. If you are going to use a satelite or cable TV you will have to figure things out. The whole point of a receiver or a preamp is to receive different inputs, and send them to the speakers based on your desires. If you have a single function system (for movies) then all you need is the player, and amp and a tv.