KLF 30 / building new cabinets (almost done) photos

Tobi

Hey everybody,

I am pretty new here and this is my first post.

I just started building new cabinets for the water damaged and also coming apart KLF 30's witch I bought a couple of month ago.

All four port tubes where missing and the holes in the board are 4'' wide but I have seen photos where the tubes where reduced in diameter.

If you KLF 30 owners out there could help me out with the measurements (diameter and over all depth ) of the original tubes, that would be terrific.

The
cabinets are going to be not as deep and slightly wider and because of
added bracing inside about 8cm taller. That will give me enough space to put the portholes in the front so that I can move them closer to the wall witch will help me in my small living room. Any concerns or ideas about that, anything I should know?

Also the speakers are standing on hardwood
floors and sometimes when I crank it up a little they start to walk. I
did not adjust the feet yet and the floor is very uneven so I was just
wondering if anybody tried to only have one foot in the back, center
(try pot) or maybe has a better idea.

I
am using 3/4" MDF and I am going to double up on the mother board.
There will be three square braces inside, a two by two in every corner
and a hole lot of 2" MDF screws. All edges will be rounded.

Should I reuse the old foam or is there anything else that would work better after all the changes inside, something affordable?

I
have been reading a lot of post here and learned some but still don't
know much so thank you for reading all the way through and I am looking
forward to a lot of tips, suggestions, concerns and ideas.

Tobi: sounds like you have things in order. I recently rebuilt a pair of KLF 20 and added braces and stiffening. Since you are doing a scratch built I would recommend you make panel braces 1.5 inches by 3 inches from double layer ply. Split all the panels up the middle then use the same material to tie the stiffening braces together side to side front to back and don`t forget to tie the top to the back and the bottom panel to the back. I would do a double baffle as well but I would make the inside layer ply and cut out the speaker rebate into the mdf top layer. That way you will be clamping your driver onto a hrd solid surface and not onto mdf whivh is soft to begin with and really soft once the surface skin is removed.

The stock foam damping material will be fine and is safer and cleaner to work with than high density fiberglass and a fraction of the cost of wool felt. Three spikes two at the front and one at the centre rear will be the most stable and provide greater mass per foot than using four. If you are up to it install a base of birch ply to mount your insets into as these are heavy cabinets and mdf will compress at the inserts under the weight. Large thick washer with nuts welded to the washer will provide a solid base, 3 - 4 holes in the washer for mountingyou can drop the nut into a shallow hole or have stick out proud not really any difference.

Have you considered time aligning your horns to the woofer voice coils? Nice touch if you are up to the extra cabinet work. Hope that this is of interest. Please keep us posted and provide pictures too. Welcome aboard to one of the very best forums on the web. Have a lot of fun best regards Moray James.

• 3 months later...

They are 49"x16"x16" now to make up for the braces. The front baffels are 1.5" thick. Almost 3 sheets of 3/4" MDF, 3 quarts of Titebond III, 40 magnets for the grilles and 300 screws.

Now I am waiting for the port extension update so I can order more pipe.

post-51326-1381968887337_thumb.jpg

Thank you, it looks like we both also like classic european roadsters.

Several, all need more work than my speakers and they need a lot, I guess excessive compulsive comes to mind when I look around. Lotus Elan S2 - I can't quite make out what your avitar is?

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/elan-photos-f18/lotus-cars-that-own-now-have-owned-past-t18728.html
  • Like 1

Thank you, it looks like we both also like classic european roadsters.

Several, all need more work than my speakers and they need a lot, I guess excessive compulsive comes to mind when I look around. Lotus Elan S2 - I can't quite make out what your avitar is?

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/elan-photos-f18/lotus-cars-that-own-now-have-owned-past-t18728.html

Only a Fiat Spider, not as exotic as a Lotus Elan but still a lot of work (and a lot of fun).

post-51326-13819688917266_thumb.jpg

Great job love the color contrast. I swaped the rear vents on a pair of KLF20 from the back to the front. Keep having fun your are way to good ay yhod to stop. maybe a pair with time aligned drivers and or reversr one of the woofers to offset suspension distortion or place the woofers in a plenum. Excellent job. Best regards Moray James.

Those look killer! Wow, I am impressed. Love what you did with the contrast and everything. I like how you redesigned the front - one thing that always bugged me about these KLFs is how the front grill hides the ENTIRE front of the cabinet. Sort of boring, I think. Not yours!

Please invite me over for a listen when they are ready and I promise to do the same (I sold my 30s, but I still have a great set of modified 20s).