Room size

Dr Morbius

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone here can help me. I'm building a house and want a dedicated room for 2 channel music. A musical man cave, if you will. I already figured out that for my surrond sound in the living room I'm going with the RF-7 II system just because of what I've read through this and other forums. Now, for a little backround....... while stationed in Biloxi, Miss in the Air Force in the mid 1970's I came across a store that was playing a pair of Cornwalls in their soundroom. Needless to say I was blown away by the clarity and richness........ well you know what I mean. Anyway ever since then I wanted a pair for listening to music.

The past 6 months or so I've been trying to find a store that demos Cornwalls so my wife can hear. Being silly, she sorta objects to the size of them but I told her that if she listens to them the size will not matter. I plan on using an H.H. Scott 299C redone by Craig Otsby with a really good CD player and my old Thorens TD 170 from the mid 80's. { Another quick question is looking for a new cartridge that works well with Klipsch and tube amps! }. I listen to Jazz, Gershwin, Beatles, ELO, John Barry & Bernard Herrman soundtracks ( Goldfinger, North by Northwest, Vertigo - to name a few) and classical.

I know I'm boring everyone, but here's my question; being that building costs are $ 175 a square foot - I'm looking at about 12' x12' by 10 foot high room for my 2 channel room. Would the Cornwalls be too boomy, or whatever the correct term is, or would, say the Heresy III work better in that sized room. (and would I be happy with the Heresy after listening to the Cornwalls?) I could be wrong but the Heresy's look like a scaled down Cornwall. I spoke to a road-rep of Klipsch to see where I could demo either of them. He said they are dinosaurs and if I wanted great music in that sized room to go with the RF-7 II's as they are more refined { his terms, not mine }.

That's my question (or questions) - would the Cornwall work or would the Heresy be better - or would the RF-7 II's be better. Any more info needed, please let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

Even numbers (12X12) are a no no. However, my listening room is 12X14 roughly and I have Khorns in there. A number of members have heard them and were quite suprised at how good they sounded in there. Cornies would provide a bit more flexibility.

Gopherit.

Dave

I have CW2s in a 12x12 room, it is a bit cramped in there and the sweet spot is rather small but they do work.... unless you plan to put anything more than a chair in there with them![:P]Square is not the best shape for a room though, it really messes up the reflections. Sonic treatments such as bass absorbing units in the corners help as well as other treatments on the walls.

12x12x10 = bad+bad+not good!

You want room resonances to be evenly distributed; especially below 300 Hz. So ideally, stay with non mathematically related dimensions. If the 10' ceiling dimension is set, and you want to keep the size down, 13x16 might be a good starting place, maybe trimming or adding a few inches one way or the other to yield the smoothest response.

Whatever you do build your room for Klipschorns, which you will eventually end up with. The Cornwalls will do just fine in a Klipschorn room.

I know, I rebuilt my room for Klipschorns.

[6]

I built a year for Klipschorns too, but I already had them. But don't go square!

I have a 14W x 17L (with more extended room in back) x 8H room that works great for Cornwalls. Would work well for Klipschorns, too, except I can't seal the corners, so 2 JBL 4638 woofer cabs added make up for it.

If I were building a custom room, I would shoot for an approximation of "The Golden Ratio", roughly 1 to 1.3 to 1.6 ratio of room dimensions.

I spoke to a road-rep of Klipsch to see where I could demo either of them. He said they are dinosaurs and if I wanted great music in that sized room to go with the RF-7 II's as they are more refined { his terms, not mine }.

First if this guy is a "real" Klipsch rep, shame on him for saying that. RF-7II's more refined? Probably so. Strictly 2-channel listening in that size room, go with Heritage. Go with an 11' x 12" room if possible, just not square. Square rooms are tough to tame.

Bill

I spoke to a road-rep of Klipsch to see where I could demo either of them. He said they are dinosaurs and if I wanted great music in that sized room to go with the RF-7 II's as they are more refined { his terms, not mine }.

Good lord, man, this guy should be reping Bose. No offense against the RF line, but they are an example of what happens when you violate the 6 card as laid down by PWK. Since Klipsch knows the rules they can violate them and do it very well...but RFs aren't Cornwalls and this guy should realize the dinosaurs ruled for a couple of 100 million years for good reason...GREAT DESIGN!

Get yourself the dinosaurs...

Dave

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone here can help me. I'm building a house and want a dedicated room for 2 channel music. A musical man cave, if you will. I already figured out that for my surrond sound in the living room I'm going with the RF-7 II system just because of what I've read through this and other forums. Now, for a little backround....... while stationed in Biloxi, Miss in the Air Force in the mid 1970's I came across a store that was playing a pair of Cornwalls in their soundroom. Needless to say I was blown away by the clarity and richness........ well you know what I mean. Anyway ever since then I wanted a pair for listening to music.

The past 6 months or so I've been trying to find a store that demos Cornwalls so my wife can hear. Being silly, she sorta objects to the size of them but I told her that if she listens to them the size will not matter. I plan on using an H.H. Scott 299C redone by Craig Otsby with a really good CD player and my old Thorens TD 170 from the mid 80's. { Another quick question is looking for a new cartridge that works well with Klipsch and tube amps! }. I listen to Jazz, Gershwin, Beatles, ELO, John Barry & Bernard Herrman soundtracks ( Goldfinger, North by Northwest, Vertigo - to name a few) and classical.

I know I'm boring everyone, but here's my question; being that building costs are $ 175 a square foot - I'm looking at about 12' x12' by 10 foot high room for my 2 channel room. Would the Cornwalls be too boomy, or whatever the correct term is, or would, say the Heresy III work better in that sized room. (and would I be happy with the Heresy after listening to the Cornwalls?) I could be wrong but the Heresy's look like a scaled down Cornwall. I spoke to a road-rep of Klipsch to see where I could demo either of them. He said they are dinosaurs and if I wanted great music in that sized room to go with the RF-7 II's as they are more refined { his terms, not mine }.

That's my question (or questions) - would the Cornwall work or would the Heresy be better - or would the RF-7 II's be better. Any more info needed, please let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

Paul Wilbur Klipsch wrote a paper in his "Dope from Hope" articles about the "Golden Mean Cube" as the best listening room for Klipschorns. I believe it has a 10 ft. ceiling and is 16ft. by 26ft. Alot larger then you are talking, but you asked.

Good Luck..... Roger

Well Guys, you did it !!!!!!! After reading your remarks about the best size room for 2 channel listening and showing my wife what your suggestions were, we are now bugeting for a more correct sized room. So instead of 12 x 12 feet, we are going with 11 x 15 foot which sounds better. My question now is what would be the magic height to optimize the sound coming out of the Cornwalls? 8 foot, 9 foot or 10 foot ceilings?

Thank you!

Steve

P.S. Just wondered how would a pair of La Scala's stack up against the Cornwalls in that room using an H H Scott 299C amp? I see they are a bit narrower than Cornwalls but deeper depth (For lower Bass??)

If the speed of sound is 1126ft/sec in dry air at 68 degrees F, using these room dimensions would yield axial modes at the following frequencies:

15 x 11 x 9 (8) (10)

37.5Hz 51.2 62.6 70.4 56.3

75 102.4 125.2 140.8 112.6

112.5 153.6 187.8 211.2 168.9

150 204.8 250.4 281.6 225.2

187.5 256

The worst one looks to be 15x11x10. The 9ft ceiling looks best to me. The pile-ups around 188 and 250 Hz should not be too bothersome.

we are going with 11 x 15 foot which sounds better.

Are you putting them along the long wall? If the short wall, 11' is probably minimum, but probably will sound fine. I have about 11' X 18' and have to put them along the short wall, where I think they sound pretty much OK (see pic below).

Some are concerned with the "sweet spot", deemed to be at the intersection of the axes of the high frequency horns. Although I'm not particular about sitting in such an exact spot, my guests sometimes feel they want to sit there. Because my K's are along the short wall, that puts them close to the middle of the room (see pic). As purely a subjective WAGuess, I wonder if 12' X 14' would work at least as well and maybe better? I have 8' ceilings, but see that many prefer higher.

AKlipschDscn0307.jpg

La Scalas have a completely different way of producing bass, and are larger in size in an effort to reach an adquate bottom range. But they still won't go down as far as K-horns or Cornwalls.