$900 Klipschorn Craigslist Find WOOOOO HOOOO!!!!!!

eaglesfan723

Hello all, new to the forum but I finally got my hands on a pair of Klipschorns 1979 vintage Walnut Oiled with Cain grills off Craigslist for $900 from a really nice lady in Texas who drove them up to Texarkana, Arkansas to meet my family and drop them off. I would be the second owner but they are salesman samples out of Texas so who knows? They where purchased in 1980 by the previous owner. I hooked them up and they sound great but they still have the original AA type crossovers so I am just wondering if I should replace them? I listened to them with a Marantz 2270 and they sounded great but I know they can sound better. I am attaching pictures below. I am soliciting opinions from other Klipschorn owners so let me here from you...............

forumsPhotobucketforumsforumsPhotobucketforumsPhotobucket" mce_src="http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n493/eaglesfan723/?action=view&current=100_1077.jpg' target="_blank">" alt="" border="" hspace="" vspace="" width="" height="" align="" />

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

I was using Search Tempest while deployed to Afghanistan in January and they had been up for over a month and I figured they surely where sold but when I emailed she said I was the first to call on them and I was shocked to say the least. My family drove from Little Rock to pick them up which was about 2 hours so all in all I am a happy camper Klipschorn for the price of Cornwalls! Thanks for all the comments on the crossovers. I have one question though on the crossover there is an input what is that used for? I hooked my amp up to the post on the lower cabinet? Would that be the imput be for Bi-Amping? I am new to the K-Horns.

I have one question though on the crossover there is an input what is that used for? I hooked my amp up to the post on the lower cabinet? Would that be the imput be for Bi-Amping? I am new to the K-Horns.

Your amp should connect to the input on the crossover. It has connections to go to the tweeter (K77)[connection 7-8], the mid driver (K55)[connection 5-6], and down to the woofer cabinet [connection 3-4].

Your crossover label (from left to right) says tweeter, squawker, woofer, input.

Bruce

For sure the Crossovers will need to be updated. You will be amazed at the enhanced clarity with fresh caps in the crossover. The easiest and most stock way to go is to buy either the replacement crossover from Bob Crites. There are others who build modified crossovers that will improve the performance of the K horns pretty significantly. If I were you I would rebuild the crossovers with parts from Bob Crites and live with em for awhile. If you hang around here or do some searches you will start to get an idea of what is available etc.

When I got my Belles I replaced the crossovers (AA) with crites build AA's. WOW what an improvement. I then started messing with the Mid Horn ( ALK Trakhorn) and the Tweeter (again Bob Crites) and finally had Dean Westcott (DeanG on the forum) build a set of what he called super AA's with Vcap (very expensive) caps. It was fun along the way and my current speakers are pretty darn remarkable - but so were they stock! REmember its the journey thats fun so if you are so inclined to do updates etc, take your time and enjoy each step!

Josh

• Like 2

Very well said Josh. "REmember its the journey thats fun so if you are so inclined to do updates etc, take your time and enjoy each step! " There is so very much of a learning (hearing) experience to be had along each step of the journey.

Enjoy Eagle, you have entered a very high altitude sound at a very low cost of admission,

• 7 years later...

5K for new Klipschorns, new pair discounted as the rt lower bass grill triangles were detached, I was able to re-glue them on. They sound amazing. I'm using a Bel canto SET 40 tube power amp, and Doge 8 preamp: vocals, soundstage, stereo imaging, dynamism is amazing, bass could be deeper.

Listen carefully to the speakers before fooling with the crossovers.  Though I have long been a proponent of crossover upgrades, I have had to rethink that.  Age alone is not enough to determine the need for cap/component replacement.  I have a '67 H700 that sounded dull and distant, just awful. New caps fixed it right up.  Recently I bought a '68 H700 to pair with it.  The '68 sounds just like the '67 with new caps.  No changes needed.  It appease Klipsch tries(d) to use quality, long lasting parts in its crossovers.  Keep the originals and original voicing if possible.