1976 Cornwall Aquisition

acasanis

Landed some 1976 Cornwalls locally and couldn't be happier! Sequential serial numbers - 7P932 / 7P933 in great shape, and sound incredible.

I opened them up to find the correct drivers K77 / K55V / K33B. Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the wiring? I know the terminal plugs on the backs have been replaced for gold connectors, but I also seem to have solid copper wiring to the mid and high... is this factory installed? In addition - I can only assume the caulk on the horns is the rope caulk mod?

Any info would be most appreciated. Hope the pics work out - first time posting in this forum...

cheers!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Welcome (again) to the forum.

Those are beautiful! Congrats on finding them!

I don't have Corns, but the horns have definitely been modded as you said. Rope caulk and wiring. I wouldn't worry about it.

If they were mine, I would buy new Sonicaps to replace those old paper/oil capacitors.

KLIPSCH CORNWALL 1
REBUILD KIT FOR THE KLIPSCH TYPE B CROSSOVERS: $46.00

Thanks everyone for the info - I am absolutly amazed by these speakers. Currently driving them with my re-capped 25WPC Sherwood S-5500 (7591 tubes) via Tung-Sol 12AX7 RIAA w/ Thorens turntable with great results.

I will be putting in an order for the Sonicaps, however, will defer modification until I have auditioned them as-is for sometime...

On a side note - it has been made clear to me by my 'better-half' that the Cornwalls are "a little too large for our living room".

There's nothing like having the Cornwalls in storage to motivate one to finish the basement!

cheers!

Cornwalls in storage? eek.gif You can go straight to H.E. Double L. for just thinking it........ tappingfoot.gif!!!

....and you can let the "Better Half" know, the "Living Room" is too small, not the other way around!! no.gif But be prepared to duck when a frying pan is headed your way! yes.gif

lol.gif

Welcome to the Klipsch Forum and congratulations on the Beautiful Speakers.

I waited about a year to update/replace my crossovers in my 1979 La Scalas. I really didn't think is was necessary, they sounded fantastic. But, after people kept recommending it, I finally called Bob Crites. I asked him if I would REALLY hear a difference?

When he got done laughing............ rolling.gif, he said YES!

I ordered new crossovers and they were here in about 3 or 4 days. Over the next two weeks, I couldn't believe what I was hearing, it was like someone took a blanket off of my speakers. Everything was crystal clear and the bass was now unbelieveable! The best $300 upgrade I've made.

My point is, don't wait too long, you are missing out on some of the most amazing speakers. It's worth the update! yes.gif

Again, Welcome and keep us posted,

Dennie

"Storage" has come to mean my entire 2-Channel setup being stuffed into the spare bedroom...brought the Sherwood and Thorens - couldn't let the Cronwalls go alone!

Still available to listen but not as "roomy' as I would like...

Hope it is not taboo to ask, but is there any advantage to the "Type B New Crossover Kit" in comparisson to the "Rebuild Kit" for the Type "B" Klipsch Cornwalls via critespeakers.com? My crossovers appear to be in good working order - caps are the only things I would change...I am very comfortable soldering and/or assembling etc... Do the inductors/coils/xfmrs degrade over time and necessitate change?

Any info would be most appreciated.

cheers!